The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Been feeling rather down last night, but a night's sleep helped a lot. I shall see to continuing with my papers this weekend, which I hadn't been really able to turn my mind to recently.

Cheers everyone!

Morning all. Some sunshine would be nice. Missing that already.

Have a few days off Phil and enjoy the break.

Firework season and one of dogs is still freaked out by them. What happened to the 11pm deadline? Just checked and New Year, Chinese New Year and Diwali are exceptions, so that explains it. Just a shame the poor old pooch gets so scared.

Well ET Mk IX came and went, so ET X is now on the drawing board to correct some errors on my part and to stop it looking like a trainset. Perhaps I lack imagination.

Hope your day goes well, whatever you're up to.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather dull here but dry.

Nothing too exciting planned for today. Robbie will need a walk. He didn't seem to mind the variation in yesterday's route as we walked to the vet (to purchase a tablet) then went for a walk across some nearby fields.

I should really be applying paint at the moment but there is only so much magnolia even I can stand. If I do too much and trigger off a colitis flare up (as has happened in the past) one of the usual medications to deal with that is no longer recommended for me, so I'm trying to be sensible (apart from when flying over coffee tables).

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Came third out of 10 at the pub quiz last night which I didn't think was too bad! There were some very hard questions though - for example, one of them was 'What is the pattern on the ankle of a sock called?'. Anyone think they know?

Two lectures today - a 2 hour drawing type lecture followed by a 3 hour workshop session. The workshop sessions are still introductions to the tools really. I've got to make a two piece 'jigsaw' out of acrylic making sure I get all the angles spot on. The week before last I spent the 3 hours just trying to get 4 sides square so I'm not exactly looking forward to it...

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam

• RMweb Gold

'What is the pattern on the ankle of a sock called?'. Anyone think they know?

Only thing I can think of is Argyle but I think that is a specific pattern rather than something generic.

Tony

Now that it has got light, the weather is actually quite nice. The sky is reasonably blue, with a few clouds and it is around 8°C.

I am sitting here doing various bits of paperwork and pondering my next layout. Thinking about it, I am not sure an Inglenook layout will maintain my interest in the long term. Having said that, I have yet to get a layout finished so maybe I need to start small and actually get something done.

Maybe I'll re-activate my "Layout in a Weekend" idea - although I think it is too ambitious for a weekend.

Jam - Could it be a "clock"?

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one hereabouts. Tough day ahead, golf then a trip to the MindHants to see what's chuffing. I suspect there may be some liquid refreshment involved as well! Really must get on with work on the Waton fiddleyard over the weekend.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Note to Robert (and Gordon?)

When I built Timmy's first layout (he was 5 yo at the time, he's now 21)

although it was quite complex, it was built in such a way that he could run a train at the end of the very first weekend of track laying and at every development stage thereafter. He complained bitterly when he was not allowed to operate at any stage because we (his father and I) were working on it..

Following on Martin's suggestion, Ti m was encouraged to get involved in every aspect, including track laying, and all scenic aspects.

He also enjoyed laying spare track on the floor or outside and hand propelling (or gravity driving) stock

• RMweb Gold

Yes, well done Robert! It is clock.

None of the teams got that one right yesterday. I'd certainly never heard of it before.

I was very pleased though because I knew who was the very first picture in the picture round - Mark Knopfler!

I'm hoping that one day there will be one of his songs in the music round but it hasn't happened yet...

Yes, well done Robert. It is clock.

I thought it might be, but I had to think about it for a while!

I'm hoping that one day there will be one of his songs in the music round but it hasn't happened yet...

It may happen, but it'll be just as everyone's going home :)

• Like 1

I thought it might be, but I had to think about it for a while!

It may happen, but it'll be just as everyone's going home :)

Funnily enough I was playing that very track on the Les Paul last night and probably annoying the life out of my neighbours! :)

Mike, You have a Lester? I have two - a black '82 Custom (with Peter Green "wiring") that actually sounds just like Mick Taylor's first one and a '60 SG Les Paul in white. Strangely their necks are almost identical in shape and feel.

Best, Pete.

Mike, You have a Lester? I have two - a black '82 Custom (with Peter Green "wiring") that actually sounds just like Mick Taylor's first one and a '60 SG Les Paul in white. Strangely their necks are almost identical in shape and feel.

Best, Pete.

I do... Not a "proper" one, though. Mine's a 9 year old Epiphone LP in cherry sunburst. For most of those 9 years it's lived in its case under my bed. I recently decided it needed to see the light of day more and get played more, so bought a stand for it (plus ones for my electro-acoustic and my bass) and so now it gets played far more. And it sounds utterly beautiful even with me mangling playing it!

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Lovely day here albeit a little chilly.

Day off today, but it means stuck in work from 8.00 tomorrow. And car in dock as well getting the bumps ironed out after the ding a few weeks ago - got a loan car and as usual, when I got it there was no petrol in it at all - so as with just about every other person using it, I stuck in a fiver's worth - had to visit the supermarket - yuk, and saw their petrol was very cheap relative to what I pay locally - was about to drive onto their forecourt for a fill up when I remembered I'd be filling up the garage's car. Took a quick visit to RIchard's Train Shop to see if there were any of my awaited arrivals off the slow boat from China - of course there weren't.

I had a Gibson myself many moons ago, but moved away from electrics to electro accoustics and accoustics, hence the acquisition of a very nice Taylor.

Regards to All

Stewart

What's the pattern on the ankle of a knee length sock called?

Just got back.

Exhausted.

The A55 was busier than I've ever seen it (except when it's been totally stopped).

Folk going to take their caravans home?

Provisions provided. Enough for a Nuclear War.

The tide was in at Southport!

Lots of Twitchers because it brings the birds closer to the shore.

First time I've seen Little Egrets that far north.

Have confiscated five letters to MiL from conmen asking for money.

These are based in Canada, Australia and the US.

My next project is to make them feel uncomfortable.

• RMweb Gold

First time I've seen Little Egrets that far north.

... project is to make them feel uncomfortable.

Little Egrets are not rare here but I always like seeing them.

Good luck with the con-men. My mother used to get a lot of telephone scams but fortunately although her health wasn't good she wasn't likely to be taken advantage of by anyone trying to take money off her!

Unfortunately she believes she has won a lot of money.

We've tried everything - even the Police called by request and explained they were scams.

Her reaction?

"She was only a young girl, what does she know about these things?"

A BIG problem at the moment.

She has already sent off a number of £10 'fees'.

If I had sole authority in the matter I could deal with it but I don't.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately she believes she has won a lot of money.

If I had sole authority in the matter I could deal with it but I don't.

My mother had tinnitus and to cover up the noise used to listen to late night phone ins on local radio. She was always telling me about the things that crooks did to "old folks". However good she was at dealing with money scams she was really frightened by door to door religious callers.

Hi Pete, according to my TV, you are going to receive up to a foot of snow, the earliest snow in NY for decades. Good ;Lucy!

When I first looked out this morning the roads were wet and the sky partly cloudy

A partly wet weekend in prospect.

Peter, please send me MIL's address so that I can send her a begging letter.

Breakfast eaten. About to make coffee with which to take my six pills.

Have a good one all.