The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Strange e-mail this morning, from someone I don't know, including pics. of a graduation ceremony for a young lady.

As they addressed me by name, I assume it is, in fact, someone known to me who has altered their e-mail address.

Suggestions as to my reply would be welcomed.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

What dismal weather! I know it's October, but isn't it a bit depressing that you go to work (or in my case uni) in darkness and come back in darkness. Fortunately I've got this afternoon off (not officially, but that's another story!) so I can get on with writing up some lecture notes properly. Well, my lecture should start in about 10 mins so I'll talk later.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Distinctly threatening oktas in evidence. Off to play O gauge trains for the day on a rather nice layout. All 60' by 20' of it!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave: I'm turning green with envy

Funny one that DD. As to your reply, how about something non-committal. 'Granny is looking well in spite of her bowel problems' is always a good starting point.

Grandson is here today so we are thinking about a layout based on a Hornby track mat rather than him learning how to operate end to end at the moment. Something that he can set off going round and round and enjoy. Has anyone used the track mat system?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I haven't done much this morning yet.

We didn't let off any fireworks last night for Diwali but even if Aditi had wanted to she wouldn't have had time, lots of phone calls instead.

The landing and stairwell walls are ready for painting now but I did say that I'd hide all the computer network cables so I suppose I'd better do that first.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Just risen after another restless night with the world's worst ever man flu. It's got to the thick multicoloured stage now, very uncomfortable. Rang my boss to talk about return to work, his concern? Don't come back and give it to me.

So I won't.

• RMweb Gold

Strange e-mail this morning, from someone I don't know, including pics. of a graduation ceremony for a young lady.

As they addressed me by name, I assume it is, in fact, someone known to me who has altered their e-mail address.

Suggestions as to my reply would be welcomed.

How about,

Thank you for the lovely photographs. I just happen to have access to undeclared funds in a Middle Eastern country. I would like to share these with you so please send name and details ...

• RMweb Gold

Grandson is here today so we are thinking about a layout based on a Hornby track mat rather than him learning how to operate end to end at the moment. Something that he can set off going round and round and enjoy. Has anyone used the track mat system?

Oops pressed the wrong button - meant to quote rather than like....

I've just flashed the plastic and ordered a large scale Thomas set for my two grandsons - long term plan is to buy brass track etc. and have it out in the garden.

Something to shoot with the radio controlled tanks!

I haven't used a track mat, but I did start building a 6' x 4' layout for my Son. It was a mistake...

The attraction of a "round and round" wore off quickly and I have observed him doing more shunting than anything else. Plus, a layout which is 6' x 4' involves a huge amount of work to get it finished scenically and it takes up a lot of room (most of the spare bedroom which no longer has a bed in it). I am currently contemplating tearing it apart and building a version of "Minories" together.

Unless that is, anybody has any other suggestions as to a reasonable layout for a seven (nearly eight) year old who likes shunting!

• RMweb Premium
Unless that is, anybody has any other suggestions as to a reasonable layout for a seven (nearly eight) year old who likes shunting!

Hi Robert,

When I was 8 I was building my own layouts. A different one every week if I remember. I think I would have been most indignant to have someone telling me how it should be arranged. smile.gif

Build him a baseboard. Buy him some track. Show him how to fit it together. Provide glue, paint, Airfix (Dapol?) building kits, scenic materials -- the messier the better. Show and help him to do things but leave him to design and build it himself.

Other toys can be included. I remember building a Meccano crane which was ludicrously out of scale -- but how else are you going to load and unload the wagons? smile.gif

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Robert following from Pete's suggestion on Carls site you will find 'Inglenooks' which are shunting puzzles which can have many possible outcomes hopefully keeping him busy for an hour or so. The inglenooks will fit on the 6x4 on the slant across the board in 4mm or HO

Guest Max Stafford

" He amuses himself when irked by people now by imagining what Stalin would have done in such a situation."

I like that.

Works for me too...! :D

Dave.

• Like 2

Morning all (well, it was at some point today!).

Didn't get logged on earlier. Got up a little later than planned then had to rush around to get to work early enough to set up a presentation for externals who were coming in to present findings of a 3 year study to us (the IT in our office is diabolical and it took me close on an hour to set up a laptop and projector from scratch).

PhilH - I think I'm at the same stage with my cold. Clearly not as bad as your man flu though. Talking of your radio controlled tanks, I occasionally have a passing desire to make a RC K-9, using something like a RC tank as a basis...

Eldavo - How much does Pete W charge you to go and play on Leamington Spa? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Eldavo - How much does Pete W charge you to go and play on Leamington Spa? ;)

Ha ha. Pete's gaff is about 100ft long I think whereas this one is a mere 60ft and far more local to me! The trainset I was playing with does have Leamington modelled but actually centres on Coventry. No charge for those that know how to operate it. :senile:

Cheers

Dave

Hello all,

Another partl cloudy day with a max f only 16C.

Not too bad so I won't wish for Summer although it's due.

Sorry about the colds/man flu sufferers. I hope you all/both recover soon.

Can' help on the trackmat query BoD. All my trainsets were pre it's invention.

but pictures in the press make it look very playable.

Morning All,

Thanks for the layout suggestions guys. I am still not sure what I am going to do. The 6'x4' is really too big, I've always fancied building an Inglenook - so perhaps that's the way to go and he can use the remaining track to build a layout as Martin suggested. I've got a green 08 and loads of private owner wagons somewhere - not prototypical, but great for a bit of Inglenookery. Maybe I'll do an Inglenook with "urban grot".

As to DD's picture - no, I don't know her. She looks a little faceless.

Oh well, there's Friday to get through now - then it's the weekend!

Have a good one everybody...