The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The situation is so bad that the Canadian government is asking for help from other countries.

Standard operating procedure across western North America when the fire is big enough. Everyone helps each other out. The Oregon Department of Forestry sent a team 10 days ago.

EDIT: (From an ODF presser):

The Northwest Compact is a mutual assistance agreement that allows five northwest states, including Oregon, and five NW Canadian provinces and territories to easily share resources with one another, creating a larger and more comprehensive fire management system. 

In its 25th year, the Northwest Compact was created to facilitate assistance in wildland fire pre-suppression and suppression efforts between member agencies. Member agencies include Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana as well as the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I dont know why I thought of you when I watched this. Weird.

Bear would've kicked that  ____er off long before that chase ended.....

"He told the court Cole, a mechanic (and high on Meth), was dealing with significant mental health issues at the time of the offending."

No idea what he was "Mekkanikin" but if it were mine then I sure as hell wouldn't want him within 100 yards of it.

55 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Oh our museum director is resigning she's taking over at Duxford.

If she's getting the top job then hopefully she's better (not hard, from what I hear) than the current one.

Bear here....

Danglin'.....

In other news....

Enough to make a certain ER'er @Dave Hunt weep:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/raf-blows-50m-on-flying-lessons-with-zero-students-as-school-refuses-to-refund-cash/ar-AA1biXBD?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=1dbedb5f665a420b80e094d8ce0f6785&ei=75

BG

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, polybear said:

Well, that's the idea, isn't it? Instead of taxpayers' money being used to support the lifestyle of the armed forces, it's being put back into the economy at large...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

People who know their way around the coal face and also have a good academic are in great demand as they're scarce.

Which is why I can charge the fees I charge and why my clients do NOT want me to retire*

It didn't seem like it at the time, but sewing up drunks in the ER and resuscitating end-stage cancer patients on the consultant's orders made for incredibly useful "coal face" experience (though I'm not sure where the stoner chick who completely disrobed when I said I had to check her BP fits in...)

* we've compromised - I'll be providing coverage as and when needed with an average work load of 20% - so enough to keep the AS350 B3e in fuel....

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, figworthy said:

I used to get those.  It confused the hell out of them when I told them that I didn't have any windows.

Whilst it wasn't strictly true, legally speaking that was the case.  I had a leasehold flat, and the lease clearly stated that the windows were the property and responsibility of the freeholder.  For some reason or other, I always forgot to explain that bit.

Adrian

Stock response here: Well, until I invent another stock response... "Oh! Hang on, I'll just get her!" Lay phone down, nothing to see here; carry on.... 

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dinner was a spaghetti bolo, a couple of days beyond the 'best before' date. No ill effects either. 

B.B. dates are no problem - they're just that and you're highly unlikely to get ill (Bear has scoffed items that are 1+ years after the B.B. date with no ill effects - or any indication that the quality is reduced either).

Use By dates are a different matter entirely - though I'll sometimes go up to a couple of days past a UN date; I reckon the manufacturers put a bit of a safety margin in the dates.  An item doesn't suddenly become poisonous at a minute past minute after all.

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, that's the idea, isn't it? Instead of taxpayers' money being used to support the lifestyle of the armed forces, it's being put back into the economy at large...

Or in this case the shareholders of Lockheed Martin and Babcock International.

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Stock response here: Well, until I invent another stock response... "Oh! Hang on, I'll just get her!" Lay phone down, nothing to see here; carry on.... 

I have to remember that - next time I'll use "One moment please - I'll just transfer you" and then place the phone next to Alexa for 5 minutes so they can listen to Radio 2 - or Harry Potter...."

Bear here.....

Danglin' done.  Tick.  Unfortunately the H/S/L progress is being dictated by the speed at which paint dries.....

In other news....

NNNND have got a Gardener in to tidy their back garden.  That's cheating. 

BG

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Unfortunately the H/S/L progress is being dictated by the speed at which paint dries.....

You need to watch that very carefully ......

• Agree 3
  • Funny 14