The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Today felt like saying: “You’ve had sixteen weeks to get this done, why are you leaving it until sixteen minutes before the deadline to ask these questions?”

But I didn’t. ...

I would have - it would SO infuriate me after having offered tutorials etc, to have that happen.  Some real-world reality training!

• Like 8
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

It happens.

Famously, an eagle dropped a salmon on an Alaska Airlines 737 climbing out of Juneau.

Oops - missed Dave's ex-bunny:

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

In 1979 in Germany I was on final approach to land in a Phantom when a buzzard flew across in front of me. There was a loud and thump and I assumed that it was the bird but when the aircraft was inspected after landing the remains of a rabbit were found on the nose wheel door and elsewhere. We then realised that the buzzard must have had it in its claws then jettisoned it for manoeuvrability when my twenty tons of F4 appeared close by. Air traffic control confirmed that the buzzard had escaped apparently unharmed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Not affected as much as those folks up in Canada, BUT, air quality warnings here due to the Canadian fires. 

13c first thing, moderate rain from BIN time until maybe an hour ago, brightening now, high of 21c MAYBE.

Finally cooling down (a bit) here. Today is forecast to be 30°C. We might see "normal" high temperatures (20°C) on Monday.

Historically Portland had no more than three days above 90°F / 32°C in May. The tally so far is a record five days in the last week.

The Alberta smoke pall featured on the weather reports last night. It has made it to northern Oregon but air quality here right now is still very good. Unsurprisingly Montana is quite bad.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I would have - it would SO infuriate me after having offered tutorials etc, to have that happen.  Some real-world reality training!

And what's the betting they'll be moaning and b1tching when they fail/don't get the grades they want - and then demand refunds of fees etc.?

• Agree 14

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not worth the time to listen to the excuses and getting the 'mental health' card being played.

Reality will come when I mark it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dinner was a spaghetti bolo, a couple of days beyond the 'best before' date. No ill effects either. Arthur Itis is beginning to grumble, time for the Nurofen.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

4 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Earlier on this academic year I got fed up with students saying "I want a first' when they had no chance.

One of my sons, as a teaching assistant, had to deal with that a lot. He said the attitude was that, by having paid the course fees, the student was buying the mark of their choice for an assignment.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

2 hours ago, polybear said:

And what's the betting they'll be moaning and b1tching when they fail/don't get the grades they want - and then demand refunds of fees etc.?

I dont know why I thought of you when I watched this. Weird.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6