The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Kernackered I am.

Hospital visit was another very quick one so once again I avoided car park charges. Excellent.

When I got home it was "suggested"  that "we really ought to do some gardening as the front garden in particular is a mess, oh and we need some more plants."  Not so excellent.  Big sigh from me but as I'd already said that for once I was pain free I couldn't really get out of it.  We also "needed" to go to Asda where along with some foodstuffs I did manage to liberate a litre of Famous Grouse for 18 pound note coins which I thought quite reasonabubble.....unfortunately another special offer was on bedding plants so we ended up with some of them as well.  I'll give you one guess as to who didn't want to get their hands dirty planting them.  Anyway some hours were spent in the garden and at least I have gained Brownie points but am now aching a bit.  This afternoon I didn't do a lot but did make some burgers and a couple were enjoyed for tonight's meal.  Usual accompaniment of a Shiraz mouthwash and a further glass has just been poured.

Nottalot to do this evening but will probably watch The Repair Shop.

Ian's @Ian Abel mention of the Coronation concert reminded me that I thought Nicole Scherzinger has a good set of lungs and a really great voice.

I could (and do) listen to her a lot.

Cheers  🍷🍷

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Last night I had some washing that needed drying. So I set it out in the bedroom with a small fan heater. However when I went to bed I forgot to switch the heater off. This morning the temperature in the bedroom was 28C. no wonder I overslept.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This morning the temperature in the bedroom was 28C. no wonder I overslept.

The opposite is true for me. I woke early the other day because it was 24°C and I was too hot.

The cooler the better and buried under the covers is more comfortable to me.

The air conditioning is set for 22°C at night (25°C during the day). I have an oscillating fan that I use at bedtime (it has a sleep timer so it doesn't stay on overnight).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Isn’t a garage like a sort of a shed?  Asking for a friend…

(In fake German accent) - "Your name vill also go on ze list ...". 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A call to the Insurance Company and the guy at the other end tells me that the estimate for fixing Mickey is with their Engineer and I should hear within the next couple of days when I can proceed with repairs.

After that it was all the joys of paperwork - fortunately the outcome put a smile on Bear's face so it was well worthwhile.

I also decided to do a comparison of the cost of the Lidl shop I did yesterday versus what it would cost for a similar shop in Tess n' Co:

Lidl Frozen:  £21.15

Tesco Frozen:  £23.31

Lidl Groceries:  £115.97

Tesco Groceries:  133.74

Lidl Total:  £137.12

Tesco Total:  £157.05

- so for a similar outcome the same list from T&C would cost twenty quid extra - quite a difference.

Obviously this isn't an exact science as quite a few brands will be different - some of the quantities/sizes may vary slightly as well;  I've done my best to make it as fair a playing field as possible though.

What is apparent is that many prices & sizes of products are smack-on identical, even for different brands but the same item & weight....not that Bear is suggesting any price fixing you understand.....

T&C is actually cheaper for some items as well; they also have a much, much wider range & choice of products as well as the option of getting someone else to do all the work and deliver it as well.

You pays yer money etc. etc.

Bear gone.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Though it's still quite common for people to sneer at Chinese cars I was impressed. They seem to be offering good value for money cars with a first class warranty package.

That as may be, JJB, but the ones that Mrs NHN deals with at work (the 'mock Transit' vans mostly) ground to a halt because there were no spares to undertake the (very necessary) warranty work with!  They have refused to buy any more.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Isn’t a garage like a sort of a shed?  Asking for a friend…

If you want to use the garage for something "useful", if you get my drift, you ALSO have to have a shed to store all the stuff that used to be in the garage.

That's what I've found...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have a garage, built c.1960 so its too small for a modern car, even a small one such as mine. I use it for storing a small trailer, the ladder, items for maintaining the house (spare roof tiles, paint etc.), timber and garden items that have to be kept dry. A lot (most) of the timber has been rescued from skips.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta add, a 6 inch gap between fences here would be a scene out of a @polybear nightmare. Weeds and Kikuyu would grow rampant in it, creating a perfect environment for Eastern Browns and Red-Belly blacks in  the lower half, and a tangled mess of redback spider webs along the top half. Then in summer it would all  probably catch fire and burn your fence down.

Indeed. I have a single fence which I share with my neighbour. It alternates boards to each side so there is some airflow, but that is enough space (a few cm) for a Himalayan blackberry to sprout. I have to cut it back every year - there's no way to remove it without removing the fence.

I was thinking that @TheQ 's custom letter box / parcel safe would make a great unintended snake habitat were it located down unda:

15 hours ago, TheQ said:

The way I've built our post box in the wall, the maximum drop is only 18 inches, below that is a cupboard with a push to lock door, for small parcels of up to 18 inches square, below that is another cupboard for larger parcels, of up to 2ft 6inches high.

I could imagine opening the access panel after a delivery to get a coiled up surprise.

Worse than kikuyu is kudzu in the US southeast, introduced to stop soil erosion. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

For sure a large dark box near ground level would be a definite hotbed  of Redback Spiders and Huntsmen, if not snakes!

Brown Snakes - ,like Daleks -  are meant to not tend to  climb things but the number that get found in weird off-the-ground spots, eg:

image.png.bc819e1c6c8e4916c97fcc089a2e5289.png

makes me doubt that,  so my letterbox on top of a metal pole   while in theory brown snake proof, is still not something I just shove my hand into without checking first.

The snakes around here are not supposed to be venomous but we have birds that attack cars, at least my truck anyway. The most recent example is a little rotter who goes for his reflection in the wing mirrors then proceeds to crepe all over them and the doors.

MrsID suggested I apply a couple of her shower caps to the mirrors. Seems to do the trick 😀

• Like 15

34 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The snakes around here are not supposed to be venomous …

I thought you got rattlers in Idaho? Or not in your part?

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7