The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, TheQ said:

So looking for solutions, I thought, hard drive from the older laptop, but that's XP, and small, so how about a new hard drive. Then I discovered SSDs have dropped in price tremendously.. so while researching the right type and size I discovered...

A new 1TB SSD, ( double it's old hard drive size), with Win 10 and MS Office preloaded for £58 off ebay..

That'll do.

Cynical Bear wonders if the seller is reputable - maybe the Drive comes preloaded with a virus....

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

There's a simple, three word, solution, Bear:

GET A GARAGE 😁

Its possible that like myself, Bear has a garage, but that it was designed around popular 1970s cars* and thus is too small for anything built in the last 20 years.  However, such garages are an ideal** location for a collection of thematically arranged parallel metal strips...

* Although on those grounds an elderly MG should fit in one.

** Given a bit of thermal insulation, adequate electrics and heating.

Edited by Hroth
Mature reflection...
  • Like 14
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Cynical Bear wonders if the seller is reputable - maybe the Drive comes preloaded with a virus....

Such as Windows 10 and MS Office?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

GET A GARAGE 😁

You're on the List.  Again.

36 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its possible that like myself, Bear has a garage....

Bear doesn't.  You're on the List too....

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I noticed ivy growing where it shouldn't this morning.  I, like my neighbours, have a 6' fence round my back garden.  A few years later the people behind my street also put up fences at the bottom of their gardens as well as at the sides so there is about a 6" gap between the fences at the bottom of our gardens and theirs.  Ivy loves it so from time to time I fill and old watering can with weedkiller and pour it over the ivy.  It usually keeps it in check.  Later this year my fence will need replacing so I'll get the fencing man to dig out anything growing in the gap. 

Could you not extend the side fences a further 6" so you (a) don't need a fence at the bottom of the garden (the "neighbour's" fence becomes your back fence - which will save you money), and (b) you're garden becomes 6" longer?

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Could you not extend the side fences a further 6" so you (a) don't need a fence at the bottom of the garden (the "neighbour's" fence becomes your back fence - which will save you money), and (b) you're garden becomes 6" longer?

I am considering it but as my fence was built first technically the extra 6" would be a trespass.

David

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I am considering it but as my fence was built first technically the extra 6" would be a trespass.

David

You could always ask the neighbours if they're happy (they might say yes on the understanding it remains their land (if indeed they do actually own it - if it's a relatively new-build and the developer put the fence 6" away from yours then I'd say the gap in the middle is up for grabs - after all, who's gonna complain?).

The "neighbour" will benefit cos' (a) you can maintain the land and keep it free of weeds, and (b) if they're happy for you to do so then you (or they) can treat the fence with preservative occasionally, which will save them money and make the fence last longer.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I am suffering from typing overload and struggling to motivate myself to write anything more. There are a couple of IMO meetings coming up at the end of June and beginning of July and I have to read every submission and produce a short summary of each along with my opinions. The opinion bit is easy enough as in most cases it's all b*ll*x, but wading through endless documents written in legalese and typing up a summary of each is hard work on the old typing fingers. I shouldn't complain given it's what I'm paid for.

I am trying to decide whether I am just becoming progressively more cynical and cantankerous, or whether the quality of submissions really is in freefall. 

Sounds like you could use one the 'speak and  it types things' whatever they are called.  Remember a solicitor using one years ago- he spoke a bit and read it back.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

GET A GARAGE 😁

Come now, a garage is either for storage (seems the most common thing these days) or for a m***l 8a**w**! The other thing that used to be said was that a wet car garaged rusted more quivkly than one kept in the open.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

maybe the Drive comes preloaded with a virus....

There’s still one doing the rounds called Covid. 

Computer

Orientated

Viral

Information

Destructor

WARNING. This post may contain misinformation. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15

33 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Yesterday at 22:10 a student sent a message to me asking where the assessment brief was. The assessment is due tomorrow. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/05/17/down-a-bit/

Starting on it early then? OK, it depends on how big the assignment is, but I thought leaving things to the last minute (second?) was traditional university student MO. 

I remember, having done none all term, I started writing up physics lab reports at noon on the day before deadline and finished the last one at 4AM on deadline day.

One of my sons went one better (worse?). A lecturer had told him that, if he did not submit a specific assignment before the year end exam, he would not be allowed to sit that exam. He walked into the exam hall, handed the completed assignment to the lecturer, sat down and wrote the exam, and passed the course.

Edited by pH
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

The company I've ordered the sdd from has a 98.4% positive listing on 3200 orders.

Which seems ok to me especially as I bet many of the 1.6% were inept themselves. People and Computers are like that.

The order has already been dispatched!!!

• Like 17

41 minutes ago, pH said:

Starting on it early then? OK, it depends on how big the assignment is, but I thought leaving things to the last minute (second?) was traditional university student MO. 

The assessment is solving problems in Excel. and this os based on them having done the work throughout the semester. It's not just a matter of answering questions.

I'm wise to that sort of thing and sculpt my assessments to take care of it.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Type
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2