The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Naughty

The headline: "Sabotage probe after cables cut on Royal Navy warship HMS Glasgow" is accurate but confused me for a moment above a photograph of a ship in a floating dock.

"Cutting the cable" usually means something different in a nautical context (cutting the anchor cable) to urgently get underway.

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Done a really big shop at Tess Coes this afternoon. I didn't fancy heaving heavy bags so I took a cab there and back. Just as well as when I got into the store I realised that I was still in my slippers. Possibly that was the reason Arthur Itis stayed quieter than usual. 

49 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Not sure about that, but perhaps yes. I do see Toblerone in the (non-tourist) shops, but the amount available (in terms of display space) is but a fraction of that dedicated to Lindt, Caillier and to other Swiss chocolate makers (including the shop’s own house brands)

Of course the premiere Swiss chocolate, the Rolls Royce of deliciousness is Sprüngli. All their products are still handmade and use high-quality ingredients and this is reflected in the price. For example a box of 16 Grand Cru dark chocolates will set you back £34. And the chocolates you buy in their shops are meant to be eaten within a day or so of purchase (not that they ever last that long)

I looked Sprüngli  up, I prefer dark chocolate and this one looks good 

https://www.spruengli.ch/en/shop/chocolate-bars/grand-cru-baracoa-chocolate-70.html

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I prefer dark chocolate and this one looks good

I wonder if they are legal to import to the US?

It is illegal (once more*) to import Cuban cigars and alcohol to the US. I doubt that chocolate made with Cuban cacao is problematic, but it wouldn't surprise me all the same.

* Since 2020.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Very similar to the toasted, (sealed) sandwiches we would make with a campfire pie iron* - two slices of bread, butter (on the outside), baked beans on the inside. Nice when warm.

Cold sounds revolting though... 

Maybe pastry is different but ours was rather nice. (IOHO). Certainly worth taking as rations to an exhibition or as an al fresco meal on a long car journey. It could be the add-ons, good quality cheese, some concentrated tomato puree and a few herbs but - and I'm not just saying this to tease il D about baked beans - it was more flavoursome cold than hot. 

We did have a sandwich toaster which saw some service but a few months ago, after a prolonged holiday due to the NHS' attempt to kill me, when I tried to use it, it kept shorting out and tripping the downstairs sockets circuit breaker. A few checks later, I couldn't work out what was causing this, so it went to the tip and we now use the grill if we want toasted sandwiches. To be quite honest, I'm not sure I'd want any of the combinations we used to enjoy hot from the machine or grill once they'd gone cold, baked beans or not. 

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Af

Outside, the birds continue to do their thing. We have seen more of the sparrows recently, while preparing lunch, I saw them having mixed baths in one of the larger birdbaths. They have also been nibbling the nuts which were formerly the exclusive province of the bluetits. The level in the feeder is visibly sinking faster than usual. The other day I cleaned out and refilled the largest bath and within a couple of minutes, the resident blackbird was splashing about in it. I fear another episode of 'Memoirs of a bath attendant' is looming... 

Our problem has become the crows.  Having almost managed to stop the squirrels so that the 'little' birds could feed one day came a crow who after appearing for a day or two found that by flying at the bird feeders he could dislodge food and then pick it up off the ground.  When around of course we lose the blue tits, wrens goldfinch and blackbirds - pigeons stay unless 5/6/7 crows appear and just about empty the bird feeders ... I think the word here is 'turdycurses' after @polybear.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Cheers all. Still dealing with the aftereffects of a migraine yesterday, so not really much to say.

Thought for the night: If only we could settle our terrestrial disputes once and for all and dedicate ourselves to striking out to these wondrous distant shores...

If only indeed. Alas...

• Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

And THIS is a ute:

That middle one looks like a concept vehicle at a car/truck show - and I'd say it's a truck, not a ute. Apart from that overcompensating lift kit it looks like it was a custom stretch job to create that third row of seating.

One of the biggest 'normal' pick-up trucks would be something like the Ford F450. The crew cab with an 8' bed is around 6.7m long with a curb weight of 3.8t.

To my mind most of the vehicles Aussies still call "utes" today are trucks. The "ute" term should be applied to those built on a car platform, not a truck platform. EDIT: It is after all, a contraction of "utility coupé".

In this part of the world these are "Utes", or more properly these people.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
utility coupé
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I wonder if they are legal to import to the US?

It is illegal (once more*) to import Cuban cigars and alcohol to the US. I doubt that chocolate made with Cuban cacao is problematic, but it wouldn't surprise me all the same.

* Since 2020.

And being associated in any way with Cuban sugar can be very problematic under laws introduced by either Obama or Clinton ( I forget which) but only given full force under Trump, appeasing the Hispanic voters in Florida and not repealed by Biden; anyone who can claim their sugar plantation was stolen by the communists can sue you if you make profits dealing with Cuban sugar producers- and the reach can be extraterritorial to the extent that a US citizen is an officer of the company or if the USD is used anywhere in the export chain. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That middle one looks like a concept vehicle at a car/truck show - and I'd say it's a truck, not a ute. Apart from that overcompensating lift kit it looks like it was a custom stretch job to create that third row of seating.

No,  its a Ford F650, could be coming to a car park near you!

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/want-the-biggest-meanest-pickup-in-the-hood-try-this-six-door-2005-ford-f650/

I agree that the "Ute" definition is less meaningful the bigger they get but there is a bloke down the road with a GMC Behemoth  something or other which is the size of a small truck but its still a ute to him and all who whinge about it taking up 4 spots  in the local Woolies.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3