The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Also managed to get another four reluctant toys running smoothly.

Lendons of Cardiff have the x7219 chassis block for the Royal Scot advertised still. You would need to transfer every bit of your first loco purchase but it might run again?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony but I think with my normal general ham fistedness with these things that might be a chassis block too far.  I’m almost certain to have bits left over if I tried that! 😀

Edited by grandadbob
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I have finally found a shop in Singapore that sells something useful, though I can't help thinking it is yet another sign of the deep malaise which has afflicted Britain that I have to come to SE Asia to get a BoJo doll.

IMG_20230513_175818.jpg

Now where did I put those pins and does anyone know some voodoo chants? 

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

I have just paid the vehicle tax for both our cars. The bit of the DVLA that takes payment always works efficiently.  My car is now old enough to be rated just on emissions rather than its original list price  value. The next thing due is insurance for my car. It has been a bit cheaper for the last two years, I wonder what will happen this year. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Grrr! Now in Greenwich and The Queen’s House is closed - due to “private function” (I wonder how much that costs?)

I also visited the National Maritime Museum (although Saturday probably isn’t the best day - wot wif loads of screamin kids and all dat).

I was pleased to note that, compared with my previous visit, a lot more of the museum’s artefacts, paintings an beautiful ship models were on display (and displayed well). However, all the labels to the displays were really dumbed down (and some were just plain wrong) with some totally inappropriate PC (or “wokery” if you are being caustic and unkind) - such as the label referring to the number of people crewing a warship in Nelson’s time (silly me, thinking that Nelson had his ships manned by sailors)

I was particularly annoyed by a special about “connections to the sea” (or some such) that failed to mention the Dutch, the French, the Spanish, the Portuguese, the Venetians and Genoese or even the British (which, uninformed numbskull that I am, I had thought were great seafaring nations and nation states…)

Well, I shan’t loose any sleep over it, I’ll be dead soon and no longer bothered…

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

How the *&^% do people not murder children more often?  I need ear plugs and a temper moderator, my tongue is getting bitten a lot.

Lock 'em in the Garage and let them amuse themselves....

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I have finally found a shop in Singapore that sells something useful, though I can't help thinking it is yet another sign of the deep malaise which has afflicted Britain that I have to come to SE Asia to get a BoJo doll.

IMG_20230513_175818.jpg

Looks far too smart - and about 80Ibs too slim...

Bear here.....

More architrave today - slow work because of the uneven walls and the need to scribe one of the verticals to an adjacent wall.  Task "ongoing" - with much still to do.....

I did have a bit of a result - a snipe bid on the 'bay was successful, and at a nice bit under the max price I bid.  Tick

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Irrespective of any statistics, the blxxdy things* are far too prevalent around here as determined by the Mk 1 eyeball and often, for no good reason other than to inflate egos and compensate for perceived lack of dimension in the groinage department.

One useful thing with all the Mondeos and similar sized BMW saloons is that if one leaves a roadside parking space I can definitely get in, as my baby Range Rover is so much shorter. Same width over the mirrors as a Ford Focus too. It is taller though. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Lock 'em in the Garage and let them amuse themselves....

I didn’t lock  them in but when the nieces last came they did enjoy a visit to the garage. They didn’t seem too interested in the trains but they loved the Scalextric. The younger one aged six soon got the car lapping nicely. 

• Like 17

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

second tier chocolatiers for the tourist trade

Like the ubiquitous, (perhaps soon to be) no longer made in Switzerland, Toblerone?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Accuracy
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I would have to resort to Belgian chocolates rather than Swiss. I'm not enough of a connoisseur to appreciate the differences, though when fed some samples of Belgian premium choccies as part of a sales pitch, must admit they tasted rather nice. 

I may have mentioned it before but the freshness of chocolates not made to be shelf stable makes a world of difference. Many years ago, a colleague brought a box of fresh chocolates back from a chocolaterie in Paris for everyone in the office to share.

Presumably with my colleagues "watching their figures" it sat there and try as I might I couldn't keep away from it. It was night and day from so-called premium chocolate (even from Swiss and Belgian) brands that are designed to be shelf-stable.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I had a bash at cheese and baked bean pasties yesterday, turned out well if I do claim so myself. More flavoursome cold than hot IMHO.

Very similar to the toasted, (sealed) sandwiches we would make with a campfire pie iron* - two slices of bread, butter (on the outside), baked beans on the inside. Nice when warm.

Cold sounds revolting though.

* Electric models are available.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The thing about these 20mph zones  is that they are supposed, I believe,  to be traffic "calming" measures primarily to reduce accidents.  All well and good and I applaud anything (within reason) that helps to reduce accidents but I have found around here that the queue of drivers behind someone religiously 🤪 keeping to the limit is often anything but calm! 

Unfortunately so but there seems to be a state of over 20mph fines lately so perhaps it is best to stick to it, difficult though it may be.  The treality is that it is difficult and not necessarily environmental friendly as you normally need to be in a lower gear.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

as you normally need to be in a lower gear.

That is one of the advantages of modern automatic gearboxes. Mine is a nine speed box so you should always be in the right gear for your road speed. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Nelson had his ships manned by sailors

Which were collectively called the "crew" even in Nelson's time.

"Sailor" is not considered a gender specific term - and nor were many of the terms for nautical roles including the warrant officers - bosun*, coxswain*carpenter, gunner, their mates, etc. The only real exceptions I can think of are Midshipman and cabin boy. Arguably "sailing master" is gendered but only to pedants.

There isn't (to the best of my knowledge) a colloquial version of "sailess" (as opposed to sailor).

On the other hand, Army terms were mostly gendered - infantryman, rifleman, artilleryman, cavalryman etc, though not grenadier or guard.

* swain comes from old Norse for "lad" but these origins are lost in time. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10

43 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Like the ubiquitous, no longer made in Switzerland, Toblerone?

Not sure about that, but perhaps yes. I do see Toblerone in the (non-tourist) shops, but the amount available (in terms of display space) is but a fraction of that dedicated to Lindt, Caillier and to other Swiss chocolate makers (including the shop’s own house brands)

Of course the premiere Swiss chocolate, the Rolls Royce of deliciousness is Sprüngli. All their products are still handmade and use high-quality ingredients and this is reflected in the price. For example a box of 16 Grand Cru dark chocolates will set you back £34. And the chocolates you buy in their shops are meant to be eaten within a day or so of purchase (not that they ever last that long)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Not sure about that, but perhaps yes.

I may have jumped the gun. I remember reading a news item suggesting that the "Swiss Made" mark was to be denied to Toblerone by whatever Swiss authorities authorize it.

Wikipedia

Producer Mondelez planned to start additional limited production from the end of 2023 in a Slovak factory (known formerly as Figaro) in Bratislava. Swiss rules introduced in 2017 mandate that indicators of Swiss provenance such as packaging stating "Swiss" and showing images typical of Switzerland may not be used, so the bars will be labelled "created in Switzerland", and the image of the Swiss Matterhorn will be replaced by a "modernised and streamlined mountain logo that aligns with the geometric and triangular aesthetic".

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8