The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Yes, after all, the tyres are the only part of the vehicle in contact with the road. Or ploughed field, etc. 

After a spate of vehicles getting washed away in the recent floods here because the owners thought their big heavy 4WD would be able to ford  floods with ease without getting washed away , The Uni of NSW released this video.

https://www.wrl.unsw.edu.au/video/4wd-in-floodwater

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Number hit shoulder or head high  by Behemoth SUVs who then drive over the top of them VS those hit by sedans etc at knee high  that absorb some of the impact and flick them onto the bonnet. (oops hood)

A large portion of fatalities are 'hit and run' but they will sometimes show the aftermath if the vehicle is still there - I've seen plenty of cratered windshields/windscreens on sedans on the news.

While they are common, not all vehicles here are trucks or SUVs. Marketshare numbers can mislead because they reflect new sales and do not reflect the existing vehicles on the road.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here its hard to find someone who doesn't know anyone with a Toyota pickup,  Its like 6 degrees of separation if you took 4 degrees away. The Hilux ute  has been the most popular " family car"  here by far ever since Ford and Holden packed up local manufacturing, helped mainly by generous subsidies on diesel utes intended to help Primary  industries but which all buyers benefit from.

Four of the highest selling cars last year were utes. Toyota HiLux was the nation’s top-selling car with 64,391 sales, closely followed by the new Ford Ranger (47,479 sales), Mitsubishi Triton (27,436 sales) and Isuzu Ute D-Max (24,336 sales).

https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/transport/cars/australian-new-car-sales-2022.html#:~:text=Toyota HiLux is Australia's top,Mitsubishi and Tesla sales jump&text=The HiLux muscled out the,Australia's top-selling car brand.

The Top Gear Team did this with a HiLux - and it still worked afterwards:

Not sure if it still is, but it used to be on display in the Toyota UK HQ (Foyer, maybe?)

Bear here.....

Not sure what today will bring - probably doing some architrave work methinks; the Met Person is predicting dry weather over Bear Towers for the next seven days so scope for working in the back garden is much improved.

In other news:

10/10 for trying it on:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/it-worker-on-sick-leave-for-15-years-sues-over-no-pay-rise/ar-AA1b7jP8?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=309981801dd64ad4a0d3b3dc0cc9c0fe&ei=18

BG

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

After a spate of vehicles getting washed away in the recent floods here because the owners thought their big heavy 4WD would be able to ford  floods with ease without getting washed away , The Uni of NSW released this video.

https://www.wrl.unsw.edu.au/video/4wd-in-floodwater

I once had a Suzuki SJ, the precursor of the Jimney. I've taken it through flooded fords a couple of times without any problems. The problem with modern SUV's is like most modern vehicles is that they are air and watertight and will float like a boat. In the case of my Suzuki that wasn't a problem because of the rust holes in the floor. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

Referring to @jjb1970 and @tigerburnie comments about the Korean and Japanese commitment to excellence and customer satisfaction, I think that cultural differences play a big part.

From the little I know from my modest reading about Southeast Asian cultures, it seems that providing service to others is considered something very honourable and is done to the highest possible standard – whether that is providing service in the form of being a shop assistant or delivering a brand new ship. Whereas in much of the western world, providing a service to others, is sometimes (often?) considered demeaning.

Another consideration is that, certainly in Japan, people know that good quality costs and are prepared to spend that money. A number of years ago I was in the Tenshodo model railway shop in Ginza in Tokyo. Their N gauge models were utterly, utterly superb in finish, materials technology, and construction and far beyond the quality of anything in N gauge being produced for the UK market at the time. Yes, they were expensive, but a cram-packed model shop suggested no shortage of customer willing to fork out lots…

And high quality model railways are not the only things the Japanese are willing to pay well for. Whether it is a cook’s knife, a superb bunch of grapes or a kimono (amongst many, many other things) the Japanese will pay for quality.

I think one of the curses of modern life in western democracies is the race to the bottom in terms of trying to get everything as cheap as possible. The cheaper something is sold for/provided for the less money can be made on the product or service, so “savings“ have to be made, which normally come in the form of lower quality materials, poor quality manufacture and low personnel costs (fewer staff, lower/stagnating wages). 

Then, as @polybear pointed out, once the middlemen have captured the market by selling cheap, they can jack up prices without paying any attention to increasing quality of material or manufacture or paying appropriate personnel and production costs.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I once had a Suzuki SJ, the precursor of the Jimney. I've taken it through flooded fords a couple of times without any problems. The problem with modern SUV's is like most modern vehicles is that they are air and watertight and will float like a boat. In the case of my Suzuki that wasn't a problem because of the rust holes in the floor. 

And that's why the pedals on PROPER Landrovers were spaced for wellies. It wasn't just for the Welsh market, y'know!

(Don't know about Suzuki pedal spacing)

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And that's why the pedals on PROPER Landrovers were spaced for wellies. It wasn't just for the Welsh market, y'know!

(Don't know about Suzuki pedal spacing)

As I recall there was plenty of space for my size twelves in the Suzuki. No carpets or rubber mats even. The instruction book said it could wade up to 45 cms, about 18 inches, just below the fuel filler cap and the oil dipstick.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Wide pedal spacing on a Landy is fine for those of use with larger than Size 8 feet.  I almost invested once upon a time until I looked more closely at speed-versus-distance and fuel consumption.  I'm not un-interested to this day on a horses for courses basis and the Hill of Strawberries is not the right course.  

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica hit first thing this morning and I could barely move without it being excruciatingly painful. However I did move and pills were taken and its now back in its box. A few complaints have been made on Newswatch this morning about the BBC's coverage of the Coronation, basically the same as what was said by myself about the same pictures and commentary being shown on both BBC channels. Eurovision today, another one to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Grey sky but it should brighten up later with plenty of sunshine this afternoon.  12°C now with 19°C on offer later.

Slow here again.  Late to bed and late up.

Much Aching in The Hip today so some moving around is called for.   A visit to The Shed is possible and I might risk firing up the soldering iron.  Talk about living dangerously.

Later on a rugby match will be watched but like Phil I will be avoiding the Eurovision thing.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica hit first thing this morning and I could barely move without it being excruciatingly painful. However I did move and pills were taken and its now back in its box. A few complaints have been made on Newswatch this morning about the BBC's coverage of the Coronation, basically the same as what was said by myself about the same pictures and commentary being shown on both BBC channels. Eurovision today, another one to avoid.

I thought the main reason for having the Coronation on BBC 1 and 2 was that the BBC 2 transmission was signed. Imagine the complaints if there was only one transmission and that was signed...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A beautiful sunny day here in England’s northwest corner. I shall shortly be heading off to collect Ava as she will, as usual, be spending the day here with us. Once back here, she and I will have a drink of tea and then we’ll make a batch of lime curd, this will then form the topping for the cheesecake I made yesterday and will be consumed after tea tonight. It won’t just be 3 here for tea tonight though, as Mike and Sarah will be joining us as well. So as a treat, we’re having an Indian take away as our favourite supplier has just reopened after a major refurbishment. 

Back later 

Brian

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I thought the main reason for having the Coronation on BBC 1 and 2 was that the BBC 2 transmission was signed. Imagine the complaints if there was only one transmission and that was signed...

They also have two more channels that normally are not open until seven in the evening. Why couldn't they be used?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They also have two more channels that normally are not open until seven in the evening. Why couldn't they be used?

Dunno. Too expensive to transfer the feeds?  Or perhaps easier to tell people to go to a familiar channel for signing than to 9 for BBC 4 or whatever channel BBC 3 is on.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have finally found a shop in Singapore that sells something useful, though I can't help thinking it is yet another sign of the deep malaise which has afflicted Britain that I have to come to SE Asia to get a BoJo doll.

IMG_20230513_175818.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Dunno. Too expensive to transfer the feeds?  Or perhaps easier to tell people to go to a familiar channel for signing than to 9 for BBC 4 or whatever channel BBC 3 is on.

Are the frequencies used for the start at 7pm programmes those used for CBBC or CBeebies in the daytime? Lots of changes recently were to allow regional BBC1 to have HD.  The BBC News channel lost its HD output on FreeView (but not FreeSat). 
Tony

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold

I'm not really having a late start today, i just had to go,out a bit earlier than usual on a Saturday and have found a problem on my laptop so the time I had got used up investigating.

It started dull, it is now a lovely sunny day but with a big bank of cloud a few miles offshore.

More later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Are the frequencies used for the start at 7pm programmes those used for CBBC or CBeebies in the daytime? Lots of changes recently were to allow regional BBC1 to have HD.  The BBC News channel lost its HD output on FreeView (but not FreeSat). 
Tony

You may have something there regarding the shared channel frequencies. Imagine the uproar if the childrens channels suddenly sprouted non-stop Coronation coverage! And if the BBC had chosen just one to use, it would have always been the wrong one!

I've not a clue about the HD stuff*, I've never bothered with it!

Back to signing for a moment.

The model for signing that the BBC appears to use is to shrink the main image towards the top left hand corner of the screen so there's room for a reasonably large signer to appear towards the bottom right hand corner without obstructing the screen. This means that if you don't require signing, then the visible picture of the ongoings is irritatingly smaller.

The other option would have been the red button, but that apparently (I didn't investigate) was a commentary free option, with just natural environmental sounds. Typical Slow TV...

* Hi Def nostril hair.  Lovely!

Edited by Hroth
Extra on signing, etc.
  • Like 8