The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Not much to do over the weekend but I will not be watching a certain show from Liverpool, thats a certainty.

From what little I've seen (and even that was too much) on the News this Bear has heard better tunes out of a Wine Glass....

Bear here......

I typed the following at about 8am this morning but never hit the send button......

In other news.....

The Supermarkets are claiming they're not profiteering on prices....

...well the egg farmer on the TV last night says it's costing him something like £1.27 to produce 6 eggs (his G & L Bill for a year is now £80K) yet the Supermarkets won't pay more for the eggs (£1.18?) so he's running at a loss - yet they've jacked the prices right up in the shops.  B'sterds.

In other, other news.....

ISTR one of our US Correspondents has a Peleton - this is in the news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65563993

BG

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

The venue was pleasant (and easy to get to), food was good and priced about right, but the beer? £7.25 a pint!

Furthermore there was no cake or curly fries! (I think the BT food and drink subcommittee may be having a rethink on the venue before the next Brains Trust meeting).

If you were drinking the same as me, the Gypsy Hill Brewery craft beer which is dearer than the normal ales. £7.25 is about right for such a beer in London.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

If you were drinking the same as me, the Gypsy Hill Brewery craft beer which is dearer than the normal ales. £7.25 is about right for such a beer in London.

Tribute was £5.70 a pint. In that location and as it was also well kept and served I thought that to be top-end but not excessive. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Thoinot Arbeau compiled a book, Orchésographie , on the dance practices of late 16th century France in the form of a dialogue between Arbeau and a student, Capriol. If I remember correctly, “Belle qui tiens ma vie” was the only completely worked out piece in the book*, the rest were melodic lines and drum beats, with descriptions of the dance figures. The appendix of the Dover Publications edition (1967) has Labanotation illustrations for the benefit of modern performers.  When I performed in an "early dance and music" group, it was a key reference work.

* Pavan in four parts with the drum rhythm.

Edited by Hroth
minor errors corrected, I still have the book to hand...
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t done much today. I did venture out to visit Mick the barber and get my hair cut. I also collected my sack of medication from the pharmacy on the way home. I did go out again as Aditi hinted she wanted to go to Canvey, but not drive herself, to collect some M&S packages she had delivered to the food store there.  She was a while but I suspected she would have a wander round so I listened to the radio. 
Tony

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Further to my early post, Emley Moor transmitting  station’s tower is a grade 2 listed structure and when completed in the early 70’s was the sixth tallest freestanding structure in the world. (Now 25th) and can be clearly seen from our kitchen window.

More information for those with insomniac tendencies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emley_Moor_transmitting_station

Thankyou for your attention.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Portland has a campaign called "Twenty is plenty!" (20mph in neighbourhood streets) ostensibly to reduce pedestrian accidents - which represented 44% (the leading cause) of traffic deaths in Portland in 2022.

Minneapolis "proper" (we're in an inner-ring suburb) which we enter eastbound barely 1.5 miles from here, has a "Twenty is plenty" also. Times two is the norm and often more, I try and maintain 25 but fear for being rear-ended at that speed even by the nut jobs around.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

In other, other news.....

ISTR one of our US Correspondents has a Peleton - this is in the news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65563993

BG

If you were thinking of me, I was directly in the other direction to the NordicTrack, VERY QUICKLY by many reviews and personal references, so not affected 👍

Mine is the Nordictrack S22i Studio cycle.

image.png.32fcc01d32cd0d1162ee72c32f275f5f.png

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

On the only night, in my adult life, that I have spent in hospital, the guy in the next bed to me was a rigger who fixed the radio mast on top of it.  He'd hurt his back mending his car. 

Jamie

The only night I spent in hospital as child was spent in a bed next to a ‘Mr  Moon’.

Probably about 6 years old at the time and no paediatric ward. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning all from a very quiet Londonium, presumably due to the reduced numbers of opus Britanni due to, in no small part undoubtedly, the ferriviaria exactoris percutiens.

Because I don't speak Gobbledygook I cut andpasted that phrase into google and the first result said

Percutiens is a roulette godspell that creates a large lightning bolt towards the caster's mouse. The lightning bolt does a large amount of damage and inflicts high knockback. The impact of the lightning bolt creates a smoke-screen effect. This spell also sound like a gunshot.

No wonder there's nobody out on the bloody streets mate, what were you thinking!? 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 19

13 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

A farmer's son I knew some years ago had a Toyota pickup,

Here its hard to find someone who doesn't know anyone with a Toyota pickup,  Its like 6 degrees of separation if you took 4 degrees away. The Hilux ute  has been the most popular " family car"  here by far ever since Ford and Holden packed up local manufacturing, helped mainly by generous subsidies on diesel utes intended to help Primary  industries but which all buyers benefit from.

Four of the highest selling cars last year were utes. Toyota HiLux was the nation’s top-selling car with 64,391 sales, closely followed by the new Ford Ranger (47,479 sales), Mitsubishi Triton (27,436 sales) and Isuzu Ute D-Max (24,336 sales).

https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/transport/cars/australian-new-car-sales-2022.html#:~:text=Toyota HiLux is Australia's top,Mitsubishi and Tesla sales jump&text=The HiLux muscled out the,Australia's top-selling car brand.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning all from a very quiet Londonium, presumably due to the reduced numbers of opus Britanni due to, in no small part undoubtedly, the ferriviaria exactoris percutiens.

33 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Because I don't speak Gobbledygook I cut and pasted that phrase into google and the first result said

Percutiens is a roulette godspell that creates a large lightning bolt towards the caster's mouse. The lightning bolt does a large amount of damage and inflicts high knockback. The impact of the lightning bolt creates a smoke-screen effect. This spell also sound like a gunshot.

No wonder there's nobody out on the bloody streets mate, what were you thinking!? 

I tried it on Google translate and it came out as 'Striking the railway driver'.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 12

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The pedestrian fatalities are reported on the news (to my way of thinking) in an appalling manner - all focus on the number, no focus on what streets, in what conditions and with whom.

Number hit shoulder or head high  by Behemoth SUVs who then drive over the top of them VS those hit by sedans etc at knee high  that absorb some of the impact and flick them onto the bonnet. (oops hood)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4