The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Not wishing to nit pick but that wasn't the police just a bunch of drunk toffs playing dress up.

The first attack was by the Manchester and Salford Yeomanry, who managed to kill a woman and child, before arresting one of the leaders of the protest meeting.  They were what might be called "toffs", not necessarily drunk but certainly called out in a hurry by the local magistrates.  The majority of the deaths and injuries were caused by the 15th Hussars, who were regular Army troops.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The first attack was by the Manchester and Salford Yeomanry, who managed to kill a woman and child, before arresting one of the leaders of the protest meeting.  They were what might be called "toffs", not necessarily drunk but certainly called out in a hurry by the local magistrates.  The majority of the deaths and injuries were caused by the 15th Hussars, who were regular Army troops.

Given the sheer numbers attending you can understand the magistrate panicking. What I think is interesting is that they had known about the meeting for several days prior so it does beg the question why use the yeomanry. Was it because they feared using regular troops would smack too much of putting down an armed rebellion given the fact that Waterloo would still be fresh in peoples memories.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Do that in the UK and I suspect there's a good chance you'll be on the wrong end of an "Assaulting a Police Officer" charge (or whatever they call it for gee gee's and police dogs).  Whatever it's called it certainly doesn't go down well with the Courts.  A quick Google reveals that you could do 10 years in the slammer for it.

Mate I can feel your sense of injustice flowing out of your post but unfortunately that's just the way it is there  while ever you have the judges in cahoots with the horse loving  "landed Gentry".

In comparison, here it was a clear-cut  case of self-defence as it nearly always is when a horse is involved.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-05/protester-horse-punch-charges-dropped-threatens-to-sue/102190674

In fact, , many people say it should never have gone to trial.  As the bloke said, many police were crying as they charged him:

"They were incredible," he said of the staff. "When I went to the courthouse, which is also a prison in a sense, they signed me in and I'll tell you people were crying.

"People that work there. Professionally work there that have no problems putting in murderers and they see everybody.

"It's a tough, tough place and they were crying. They were actually crying. They said, 'I'm sorry.'"

Oops, upon re-checking I see that those quotes weren't from the horse guy, I guess the orange shirt confused me.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is it a simple shaft? There are a couple of people here who might be able to suggest a suitable repair.

They are usually a shaft with a ball on each end. They fit into a cup on the bogie. The balls have a rod protrusion that fits in a slot in the cup. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

They are usually a shaft with a ball on each end. They fit into a cup on the bogie. The balls have a rod protrusion that fits in a slot in the cup. 

“Dogbone”. (Another model railway meaning for that term!)

Some examples:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=athearn+ho+scale+dogbone

Edited by pH
To change ‘nationality’ of e-bay.
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, polybear said:

Do that in the UK and I suspect there's a good chance you'll be on the wrong end of an "Assaulting a Police Officer" charge (or whatever they call it for gee gee's and police dogs).  Whatever it's called it certainly doesn't go down well with the Courts.  A quick Google reveals that you could do 10 years in the slammer for it.

Many years ago,before the days of PC I was one of many officers involved in policing a National Front (extreme right wingers) rally in Bradford.  There was a counter demo by the anti nazi league, part of which proclaimed itself as the National Backside party, I kid you not. Nowadays they are gay lib.  One of the women in that mob took great delight in throwing pepper the horses eyes. This did not go down well with people around her.  Then she slipped and a pedestrian barrier fell across her.  A police horse then gently put it's hoof on the barrier.  She squealed like a stuck pig and the horse removed it's hoof and moved on.  The crowd, which had been hostile started cheering.  The young lady got no sympathy at all. She was uninjured but didn't throw any more pepper. 

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

My great, great, great, great, great aunt was allegedly one of the leaders of the women's contingent at Peterloo. 

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Having got to the end, during the return procession horses were, for the most part, better managed, though I still saw a lot of Household Cavalry really working to keep their mount in formation (and I'm not just talking about spirited head tossing but sideways movement).

The grooms and riders attending the greys that hauled the state coach had to work hard to keep the greys steady while the Abbey bells pealed before the royal cargo was loaded. At one point the lead horse looked like it wanted to bolt and almost did.

The parade coverage I watched was pretty awful. The first half of the parade was consumed by a talking head with royal connections relating her own anecdotes rather than anyone actually covering the parade itself. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Many years ago,before the days of PC I was one of many officers involved in policing a National Front (extreme right wingers) rally in Bradford.  There was a counter demo by the anti nazi league, part of which proclaimed itself as the National Backside party, I kid you not. Nowadays they are gay lib. 

When not on signalling commissionings my weekend overtime usually featured a day catching up in the office at Birmingham. Lunchtime involved a walk to one emporium or another in the New Street / Corporation Street area. Most weeks there was a demo of some kind and it was always the same faces in the march, just the banners at the front were different. Every week there would be a couple of plain clothes police filming the proceedings from the canopy above the Midland Bank entrance on "The Ramp" which leads to the shops above the station. It usually created a bit of amusement in the crowd when the march was an anti abortion rally and one of the banners following was gay rights or vice versa.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2023 at 16:46, TheQ said:

Magnet Deployed, many many passes later, several drill bits, turnbuckle, Allen key set, shackle and block, new long tape measure, and new tenon saw. £40

Need to be careful at that game. Last year someone was magnet fishing in the canal by my daughter's house and pulled out a live hand grenade. 💣

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2023 at 16:00, 45156 said:

Well I enjoyed the coronation for the main part - the true star of the show IMHO was Penny Mordaunt, who carried off her duties with grace and poise - she did so as well when the late queen's passing was announced.  Politics aside, she seems to have a real feeling for that sort of event.

She does seem to have a knack with these things. The Privy Council meeting was especially good as she had only been in the job two days when the queen died then did the Accession meeting less than 48 hours later.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Having got to the end, during the return procession horses were, for the most part, better managed, though I still saw a lot of Household Cavalry really working to keep their mount in formation (and I'm not just talking about spirited head tossing but sideways movement).

The grooms and riders attending the greys that hauled the state coach had to work hard to keep the greys steady while the Abbey bells pealed before the royal cargo was loaded. At one point the lead horse looked like it wanted to bolt and almost did.

The parade coverage I watched was pretty awful. The first half of the parade was consumed by a talking head with royal connections relating her own anecdotes rather than anyone actually covering the parade itself. 

I've just had a quick look at the procession and I picked the cause pretty quickly:

image.png.2721f9257d3dee396861789b137238c8.png

One of many things horses hate is My Little Pony cos it makes them look silly which is another thing they hate, so whoever pimped up those horses to look like one is either a clown  or a Rabid Republican with Regicidal tendencies.

Sure, 6 year old girls love it but it sends any  horses in the vicinity over the edge, I'm surprised they were so restrained. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is it a simple shaft? There are a couple of people here who might be able to suggest a suitable repair.

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Its a weird arrangement, on the inner end of each bogie connected to the worm gears is a short shaft with an X moulding, like a miniature snooker cue rest. Between the two bogies mounted on the chassis is a large gear wheel with a square hole in the centre. It appears that the hole  is for a shaft that connects to the X moulding on the bogies.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Not many gaps in the rain today. It was beneficial in a way as I needed to finish all of the potting on of plants in the conservatory and get some stuff moved to the greenhouse between the showers.

Fortunately we had early notice of cancellation of Sam's cricket so that saved a trip out this evening. A least he had a good performance on Sunday opening the bowling and getting rid of one of their best batters in his second over with a text book yorker. Flat delivery fast and straight, pitching right in the blockhole and shooting through off a damp pitch to hit middle and leg about 9" above the ground. Started the rot and the opposition never really got going after that being bowled out in less than their 20 overs and ending 38 runs short of the target.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 3

Morning All,

Breakfast had and now another attempt at some shut-eye.

Tuesday, so that means a day with Sydney and mil and the boys for tea. ( not in the Hannibal  Lecter way).

Paperwork will probably get done and perhaps some emails sent.

MRC tonight.

Back later.

• Like 16

8 hours ago, polybear said:

It's £1.40 for 1.136L in Bear's local Co-op (so £1.23/L), though the price drops to 77p/L if you buy a 2.272L (4-Pinter) - the same in Tess n' Co would work out at 68p/L (though a 1.13L container works out at £1.11/L).

That’s ridiculously cheap (even taking into account economies of scale), no wonder Dairy farmers are going out of business (A BBC news article of 2016 reported that 10% of dairy farms had closed between 2013 and 2016. And I don’t see the situation having changed much since 2016).

I pay SFr 2.00/litre for “Bio” (i.e. high animal welfare) locally produced milk. Food costs in Switzerland can be higher than in the UK for a number of reasons: high animal welfare standards, rigorous environmental controls, small holding sources (so no economies of scale) and farmers getting a decent price for what they produce.

Another thing effecting food prices is that, in comparison with the UK, there is much less factory produced “ready food” (which has the advantage of huge economies of scale). However, as supermarkets here (just like everywhere) want to make money, they’ve jumped on the vegan bandwagon and now offer a modest selection of industrial biochemical fabrications known as vegan “cheese”, vegan “meat” or even vegan “fish” - all of which tend to be more expensive than their “real” counterparts (despite being factory produced with, presumably, economies of scale).

Another factor in the price of shopping is that there are still plenty of independent/small chain (1-4 shops) butchers and bakers - they cost more than supermarkets but are of a much higher quality. They obviously do good business as they seem to be around since, well for yonks…

Depending upon how restrained I am in the wines, spirits and tobacco sections, my weekly shop can cost me anything between SFr 80 and SFr 400 (admittedly, the latter is when I am planning a dinner party and I’m stocking up on prime cuts and [as they say in the US] “premium liquor”j.

Having said that, if I were to get one bottle of every one of the whiskies my “trade” supermarket stock, there’d probably be little change back (if any) from SFr 3000*

All this reminds me, gotta go shopping soon…

* that’s about £2600 - a sum I could easily triple, quadruple or even quintuple were I to do some serious whisky shopping in London

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Y’know, I’m starting to get the impression that Chimpey ( @monkeysarefun) has a bit of a phobia about all matters equestrian.

Could it be that our Antipodean simian friend comes from a long line of billmen, pikemen, archers and other foot soldiers who were (too often) on the receiving end of the “glorious and noble” cavalry charges?

Mind you, being charged by heavily armoured horses and heavily armoured men waving maces, morning stars and very sharp swords in my specific direction in an extremely unfriendly manner would certainly put me off gymkhanas for life…

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a damp and dripping chateau.  The bees have All been taken and the veg is being watered naturally.   The supermarket is to be visited this morning but not a lot else is on the agenda, 

Regards to all. 

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pH said:

“Dogbone”. (Another model railway meaning for that term!)

Some examples:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=athearn+ho+scale+dogbone

You mean a "Carden Shaft"... used for all sorts of power drive systems.

You can make them from a piece of brass tube, a handrail knobs soldered in each end and a piece of steel soldered through the hand rail knobs..  all cut to size to fit

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm quick research a new keyboard is less than a tenner delivered.

• Like 13