The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Whatever fellow ER'ers may think of Ginge, I can't help but think he was probably sitting there thinking "That should've been my Mum sitting there....."

I sure as hell know I would have been.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I reckon if you take the population of the UK at somewhere around 70 million, not all tax payers of course, but even so I doubt this has cost more than a quid each, not bad value and it last longer than a 99 with a flake in it.

• Like 11
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The exaggerated expense often includes military wages who would have been paid anyway and get nothing extra for it. They even pay for their own food and their own boot polish etc.

Even though there were lots of police on duty, most would also have been paid anyway. Just not sitting at a desk somewhere.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

One of the talking heads on the aftermath of the coronation has just referred to there being 5 coronations in the 20th century- but that’s plain wrong as Edward VIII abdicated before he got that far. A fairly basic entry for a so-called expert!

• Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BSW01 said:

As you may of gathered, we won’t be watching the coronation, we’re just not interested in it all, I feel the money spent on all this could have gone to those who need it more! Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti royalist, I just find that spending countless millions on all that pomp is a waste of MINE and YOUR money. I mean, there are millions of families having to use food banks and thousands of people living on the streets, this money would do all those people a great deal of good. I’m sorry if this opinion offends some, but that’s just how we both feel about the matter.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the earnings from the TV rights overseas would more than cover the cost.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Well perhaps now that it is all over the King of California can F off back home to his adoring millions and the bed that he has made for himself…..and take the one on the register with him! 😂

Just one point, Andrew has neither been convicted of or charged with any crime in either the US or the UK so

Can't be put the register. 

I Also think that in the spirit of the various oaths that Charles took, plus the wise words that Justin Welby preached, it was rather churlish of him not to allow Harry and Andrew on the balcony. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think Charles will be making sure that only working Royals will draw from the public purse as they are performing a duty, those who are not working, don't really have any right to be at the front, whether by choice or by design.

Most royals are now earning a living and good on them too, paying some tax like everyone else. I think all families  have their black sheep and most ignore them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I reckon if you take the population of the UK at somewhere around 70 million, not all tax payers of course, but even so I doubt this has cost more than a quid each, not bad value and it last longer than a 99 with a flake in it.

32 minutes ago, 45156 said:

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the earnings from the TV rights overseas would more than cover the cost.

Its given the British tourist industry a shot in the arm at least.

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Well perhaps now that it is all over the King of California can F off back home to his adoring millions and the bed that he has made for himself…..and take the one on the register with him! 😂

31 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just one point, Andrew has neither been convicted of or charged with any crime in either the US or the UK so

I Also think that in the spirit of the various oaths that Charles took, plus the wise words that Justin Welby preached, it was rather churlish of him not to allow Harry and Andrew on the balcony. 

Jamie

You keep the embarrassing members of the family out of sight at weddings etc. same applies to a Coronation.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

About 0.286 seconds at the last count - mind you, they're a lot smaller than they used to be.

In other news.....

Priming done.  Tick.

I fitted a lamp shade to the landing light earlier - it does improve the colour contrast between the upper wall and the painted sample of architrave I'd clamped to the door frame; as to whether or not it'll be enough of an improvement remains to be seen, however - I'll know more once the r/h architrave strip has received the first top coat.  I did manage to drop the sample of architrave whilst unclamping it though - putting a small dent in the top edge of the stair stringer 🤬  Piggin' Turdycurses - it's been filled and will need a localised repaint once rubbed down.

Bear gone

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

There are various figures being quoted for the cost of the Coronation of £50 million up to £100 million.  There also seem to  be several estimates for the boost to the UK economy of anything from £1 billion to £8 billion!

Trouble is who do you believe.

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I only watched snippets of the Coronation as I swapped channels. I did find some interesting programs (to me at least) including the part that railways played in the American Civil War, most interesting. 

11 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

There are various figures being quoted for the cost of the Coronation of £50 million up to £100 million.  There also seem to  be several estimates for the boost to the UK economy of anything from £1 billion to £8 billion!

Its something that is not clearly defined though the economic reports over the next few months might give a clue.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Anyone but the politicians .......

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

We both commented upon the seas of almost-all white faces among those parading in military uniforms ...

That's the problem with wanting diversity in any area  , you cant magic up people .

Lewis Hamilton has long moaned about this in F1 , but if minorities of any ethnicity don't want

to be involved that's  it .

One thing that did make me smile was seeing Harry sat behind Anne who was

sporting a giant feather in her hat , proper view blocker there .

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Ah to be fair I didn’t actually mention anyone by name….. 😉 But I take your point on that one Jamie. 

But they got what they deserve on the balcony front. Only those who work and I guess their kids by default. 
It looks like they got it about right. Bit of a waste of time the ginger winge coming back here and wasting public money on his protection. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

As a number of posters have mentioned, the British and the dominions (to use that old fashion term), do pomp and circumstances, very, very well.

I greatly admired the ceremony, although I did find the Archbishop of Canterbury to be Incredibly less than impressive: this is a man in a position where ritual and liturgy are part and parcel of his daily duties (or should be) and in addition to having the ritual of the coronation ceremony on cue cards (which is perhaps understandable, although that Archbishop of Canteberry, who enthroned her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II did alright without them), but he also wasn’t able to complete the basic liturgy of mass without cue cards… I expected better of him.

The modernisation was not intrusive, felt natural and wasn’t in you face. I also enjoyed the music, most of it traditional, although the piece by Andrew Lloyd Webber was a bit of a misstep.

As the coronation proceeded, a lot of the newspapers with an online presence had live (i.e. updated in real time), coverage much of which was open to comment. Two of the Vox Populi comments stuck in my mind - One appearing under the coronation coverage in what most people consider to be a right wing newspaper and the other [and its reply] in what most people considered to be a left-wing newspaper. Make of these what you will (and I paraphrase).

> interesting to note how the Metropolitan police failed to move on the eco-protesters when they interrupted normal people’s live and stopped ambulances, but as soon as they started their idiocy at the coronation the Met suddenly remembered the law…

> how this country that usually can’t organises a proverbial in a brewery but can pull off something like this is beyond me [reply to this & posted just below] perhaps because it was organised by serving and former members of the armed forces…

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I had my walk this morning but a little bit shorter than usual, just around roads and paths near home.

Then I decided to watch the coronation, being only a year younger than the King I don't know if I'll see another one (or if I will be in a fit state to watch one) and was only three last time so I don't remember it. I thought it went OK, we always do ceremonial occassions well and the service and crowning was moving, at least for me.

This afternoon I've read a bit, fell asleep with my book and done a little bit in the garden. I won't do much more after tea either, just read, music and TV.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Surprisingly many memories of the Queen Elizabeth's coronation came flooding back while watching the coronation and personally some of the changes e.g. Lords not wearing all that regalia or perhaps not so may of them 'individually'' giving allegiance was a step in the right direction .  Also liked the archbishops short but precise sermon and its theme.  It seems quite general now that ministers 'read from the script' rather than just rattling it off from memory so re @iL Dottore was not totally surprised.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember a little of the Queens Coronation though I as only four at the time. We had a street party in someones front garden and it poured with rain so a tarpaulin was erected over us kids but it didn't stop the lawn becoming a sea of mud. My dads parents lived at Abbey Wood and rented a TV to watch the Coronation. Problem was they were on a trolleybus route and every time one went past the screen was a snowstorm.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Bear feels that if he was guilty of the alleged incident then the alleged victim would've held out for justice, rather than being paid off and letting him walk. 

The same goes for the the Michael Jackson Saga; sadly there are far too many now that will concoct allegations in the hope they'll get a big pay day.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

A younger Gwiwer was keen to be a part of the Late HMQ's Silver Jubilee pageant but that was in another time.  

It's a little-known fact that a certain Bear had a very important part to play during the Silver Jubilee.  I was sat out in the street scoffin' cake like crazy.....

19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

> interesting to note how the Metropolitan police failed to move on the eco-protesters when they interrupted normal people’s live and stopped ambulances, but as soon as they started their idiocy at the coronation the Met suddenly remembered the law…

Perhaps Plod were worried about looking a complete waste of space in front of 100's of millions of TV viewers across the world.....

17 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

On a related matter, the commentary during the parade on the Buck House lawn, made mention that most of the military personnel taking part had arrived on trains and would be going back the same way. That implies a fleet of special trains as I'm sure the regular ones won't be full of squaddies. 

It would've been interesting if the Train Drivers had decided to go on strike today - though I suspect that would've been one humongous PR disaster.

In other news.....

Bear has taken delivery of a choo choo this afternoon 😁 - an ebay purchase; I'm pleased to say the seller certainly knows how to pack things properly for posting.  Big Tick.

• Like 19