The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Will have to do some shopping today but not until later, I'm still waiting for a package to arrive and until it does I have to stay in. Not much trouble from the arthritis/sciatica today but pills have been taken just in case. Biggest problem is the hay fever, I'm going through Kleenex as if its going out of fashion.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

There’s been much speculation about whether or not the Neanderthals were killed off by H Sapiens or were outbred by H sapiens who interbred with the Neanderthals (obviously, according to the DNA evidence). Probably both - given our species’ penchant for either (a) killings things and (b) mating with anything even vaguely suitable….

There is also a theory that  H sapiens brought with them a viral disease to which the Neanderthals had no resistance. There is a more recent parallel with the Conquistadors. When they landed in central America they bought with them smallpox which spread like wildfire among the native population. A similar thing could have happened 40,000 years ago. Also at the time there was global warming which drove H sapiens out of Africa and  removed a lot of Neanderthal food sources as well such as the woolly mammoth. Most likely it was a combination of all of those factors.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold

Plenty wildlife of the sort you'd expect on the mean inner-city streets around here*, magpies, woodpigeons, starlings, wagtails, the odd fox, plenty rats, but they don't like my patio much.  I can see why; it's small and enclosed, and if I were a burdy surveying it from above I think I'd be of the view that it might, at a pinch, be a bit difficult to extricate myself from in the event of a cat-related emergency, and there are plenty more open spaces nearby to choose from.  We get an occasional starling, and they sometimes bathe in the fish container (a fibreglass planter with goldfishes inside), and I put food out for them but the risk is clearly putting them off.

It's not my patio, the place is rented, so I can't do much to attract wildlife beyond what I've already done.  Planting has to be in containers, and we only get the sun on summer evenings as the surrounding buildings block it for most of the time, so it's not easy to grow some things that I'd like to grow to encourage wildlife.  We've usually seen the first bumblebees by this time, but they're either late or not going to bother this year.

*And the other sort of feral fauna as well of course, in their occasional forays away from His Majesty's free hotel service.  Trick is to look as if you haven't got anything worth stealing, and this is easy because actually I haven't got much worth stealing.  I keep the blinds down on my front windows, though, so you can't see my meagre posessions from the street, and keep the front yard as scruffy as the landlord will let me; tidiness and flowerbeds means pride in possession, a dead giveaway to the bad guys that you are worth casing out...  Despite some of my more lurid stories, it's not The Bronx, but you have to be aware and streetwise to a degree.  A neighbour got a new tv a while back and foolishly advertised the fact by leaving the box (clearly marked with '60" Smart 16K HDTV/Cinema Sound blad de blah') out for the binmen; of course he was burgled and the tv taken, though it must've taken some carrying.  When it was replaced on the insurance, he put the box out for the binmen again, and guess what happened...  He's learned his lesson now, but it's too late, the local crims have his card marked and know how to get in over the back wall from the back lane, so as well as the insurance premiums he's had to shell out on security, and the presence of security attracts the attention of the crims to the fact that you've got stuff worth protecting, and the vicious circle continues.  A lot of the lanes around here have been gated off to stop this sort of thing but ours isn't because 24/7 access is needed for the rear-access hotel car parks along Newport Road, which have floodlights and CCTV but that doesn't protect us on this side of the lane, and in some spots makes the shadows deeper and more crim-friendly.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is also a theory that  H sapiens brought with them a viral disease to which the Neanderthals had no resistance. There is a more recent parallel with the Conquistadors. When they landed in central America they bought with them smallpox which spread like wildfire among the native population. A similar thing could have happened 40,000 years ago. Also at the time there was global warming which drove H sapiens out of Africa and  removed a lot of Neanderthal food sources as well such as the woolly mammoth. Most likely it was a combination of all of those factors.

It usually is a combination of factors rather than one overwhelming disaster, but the rate at which Europeans wiped out the populations of Central and South America with pathogens is terrifying.  Columbus made 'first contact' with the Caribs, who were probably not the largest of the ethnic groups in the area but were simply not there, vanished, gone, annhialated, all dead when he went back on the second trip.  All that now survives of them is the word 'barbecue'.  Death rates of 90% and higher were not uncommon throughout the 16th century, the age of the Conquistadores, who were fairly adept at slaughtering large numbers of the locals in battles but whose pathogens were the big killers, smallpox and syphilis.  In Africa it was the other way around, as European slavers succumbed to diseases as soon as they went inland off the beaches, until the arrival of quinine in the later 19th century, which triggered the major Colonial land grab on that continent.

Personally, I doubt that disease wiped out the Neanderthals in the same way as it did in Latin America, as contact was prolonged and the Neanderthals had plenty of time to build resistance, but that doesn't exclude it as a factor.  We know there was considerable interbreeding from the DNA surviving in our current populations, and while there almost certainly was competition for resources and  territory that resulted in DNA transfer by battle rape or slave-taking, there was probably a degree of peaceful co-operation and social transaction that resulted in consensual inter-species exchanges of bodily fluids as well.  If you're drunk or out-of-it on 'shrooms, and there seems to be evidence that they often were at festivals and such, you'll sh*g anything and it'll happily sh*g you back, as behaviour at modern festivals shows, and if the next species is close enough for jazz...  Out-of-town strange has always been attractive, and good for enlarging the gene pool.

But the image of the last Neanderthals hanging on in their cave on Gibraltar 30kya, pushed literally to the edge of existence at Europa Point only a few yards away and about to become extinct as a separate group, huddled hopelessly around their fire watching the water levels rising and realising that they had come to the end of their line, is compellingly tragic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

More recently the so-called 'Spanish flu' that was initially brought to Europe and thus the world via American soldiers in WW1.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I also find it absurd that common scientific, medical and colloquial terms are automatically censored.

And of course you know that is not the case. It is the pejorative words that are filtered - as a work-saving measure for moderators. One can make a case for adding heuristics (aka artificial intelligence) to the filter to interpret the usage and determine whether the word is being used in a non-pejorative sense - rather than a dumb pattern match. Such technology is of course available, at a price.

One really irritating forum I once used would even flag word fragments rather than whole words. "Constitution" was redacted - as it contained 'tit' which I believe is on the permitted word list here.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5