The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Chimichurri is delicious, particularly with beef steak. I'm not sure what "Chimichurri melt" is. (I'm guessing butter infused with chimichurri.)

Full description from Sainsbury's website:  

"British Beef Medallions with Chimichurri flavoured butter Melt."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

The site won't let me write H O M O Sapiens, which is just ridiculous, I'm a grown up and can even wipe my own *rse these days!  I mean, come on... this is no doubt an automated censor, and not the action of our moderators, who are entirely reasonable and rational human beings that I have no argument with whatsoever and do not in any way hold responsible for this nonsense, of course!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Full description from Sainsbury's website:  

"British Beef Medallions with Chimichurri flavoured butter Melt."

Wot no cheese?

Actually, that sounds really nice and I want one now.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Full list of ingredients which include some sort of cheese;

INGREDIENTS: British Beef (86%), Chimichurri Melt (12%) (Full Fat Soft Cheese (Cows' Milk) (Cream (Cows' Milk), Water, Skimmed Milk Powder (Cows' Milk), Cornflour, Buttermilk (Cows' Milk), Sea Salt, Starter Culture), Bechamel Sauce (Cream (Cows' Milk), Water, Lemon Juice, Salted Butter (Cows' Milk), Salt), Cornflour), Coriander, Cornflour, Parsley, Garlic Purée, Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Oregano, Dried Red Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Salt, Cayenne Pepper, Chilli, Black Pepper)), Chimichurri Rub (2%) (Sugar, Maize Starch, Spirit Vinegar, Garlic, Salt, Onion Powder, Spices (Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper), Red Bell Pepper, Herbs (Oregano, Parsley), Crushed Chilli, Yeast Extract, Roasted Garlic, Guajillo Chilli Flakes, Garlic Oil).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

12 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Talk of gulls reminds me of my dear old Dad when he lived in Cornwall.  Loved birds and had feeders and bird tables galore in the garden.  He kept an old cocoa tin with a teaspoon in it in the kitchen which he used to shake and rattle when unwanted creatures visited but if the visitor was a gull this was thrown at the offender along with the immortal lines "Gerroutofit you greedy thieving bastard!"

The talk of gulls made me think of Australian magpies and their reputation for swooping during their nesting season. When humans dine al fresco, magpies land nearby and sing delightfully for their supper. (Or at least did so for me on my last trip 'home'.)

Gulls on the other hand ...

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Talk of gulls reminds me of my dear old Dad when he lived in Cornwall.  Loved birds and had feeders and bird tables galore in the garden.  He kept an old cocoa tin with a teaspoon in it in the kitchen which he used to shake and rattle when unwanted creatures visited but if the visitor was a gull this was thrown at the offender along with the immortal lines "Gerroutofit you greedy thieving bastard!"

Once spent a weekend on Flat Holm Island, in the Bristol Channel between Lavernock and Weston S.M., fascinating place and great fun.  But the reason for the low cost became apparent when we landed from the boat; it was this time of year, and we were each handed a brolly by the wardens, who explained that the gull were nesting and the brollies would be needed to defend ourselves.  No way I'm attacking an innocent gull just trying to live it's life and raise it's kids, I thought, I'm the invader here and lots of other vaguely PC mumblings.  You'll soon see, said the wardens.  The island is the nesting ground for the thousands of Herring Gulls that infest the streets of Bristol, Weston, Cardiff, Barry, and the surrounding areas where they feed on fast-food throwaways.  The island is covered in chicken bones from the city centres' weekend excesses, and the wardens keep a few chooks for eggs, which surrounded by the remains of their cousins seem quite suitably nervous...

Gulls defending their young are aggressive at the best of times, and here they are mob-handed.  They are skilled dive-bombers, aiming for your eyes with the droppings (one got my camera, right in the lens), and quite happy to come to close quarters for an attack with beaks and claws.  It took me the five minute walk from the landing stage to the farmhouse to get fed up with this, and by the time we got there I was laying into them with due gusto, the crack of a steel brolly tip on a gull's skull being particularly satisfying.  It didn't seem to hurt them or even put them off more than momentarily.  So much for PC and good intentions, death to all Herring Gulls, bring it on, birdies!!!

The island also has a few breeding pairs of greater black-backeds, which maintain a distinct aloofness from the Herring mob, and gained our respect for doing so.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Two generations ago our resident blackbird sang for his breakfast. Or, as it was summer, probably elevenses as far as he was concerned. Very often I'd open the kitchen door to let some air in, either to look outside before getting on the train and staring at a screen for much of the day. Or to anticipate a day off. He would fly down and perch on a particular branch and let rip. His delicate and subtle hints often produced results for him, whether a few bread pieces or something more substantial. One day I had a late lunch in the garden and he joined me, doing rather well out of the pastry from a 'Cornish' pasty. I don't usually listen to music but happily made an exception to that background. 

Several years ago I had an outdoors breakfast at a Devon beach cafe Rick will know (down the ramp and right) and the bloke on the table next to us had a raid on his breakfast, gull swooped in and started helping itself from his plate. The risk of that was why we had chosen a table with an umbrella. And had a few stones handy to lob at any gulls sneaking in on foot. 

Several 'rats' (with rosettes) seen earlier today. I had tried a walk (photos tomorrow) and when going down one street, encountered a party of people with clipboards and rosettes (sadly not yellow and black or I would have said hello). Doorstepping and trying to increase turnout. All I can (should?) say is that today was a good day to meet mature au pairs and travellers from abroad ... Buenos noches senors ... 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I don't usually talk politics but its been reported that as many as 20% of voters have been turned away because of the lack of ID today at some polling stations. I voted last week as I have a postal vote, something I have had since 1970.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Yesterday, we discovered a Robin has taken up accommodation on the trellis under the eave by our porch/patio.

20230503_Nest-1Crop.jpg.e8caaaba31f10db36d143b4b021708e7.jpg   20230503_Nest-2.jpg.494e0677fe2bcae715996591eecebb48.jpg

She seems fairly comfortable even in such close proximity to the house, hopefully, especially since she certainly saw plenty of movement while building the nest, she'll find it OK being here for the duration.

We have a pair of robins building a nest under our deck. (For any Eurotypes here, US robins are nothing like UK robins. They behave much more like UK blackbirds and they are also about the same size, but they don't sing so well.)

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Barrow has lots of very large gulls.. not as big as the ones at Windscale who live in the storage ponds.. but still noisy so and dos.  One tried to pinch someone's sandwich in the yard.. it was floored by a large fist and ended ip on the Dock looking a bit bewildered. I think the peregrine finished it off..

Bear's first (and one of the very best) Boss once worked at Barrow on the Polaris Subs; he spoke of a story where Vickers (as it was then) were concerned about the number of Gulls roosting on one of the humongous cranes - so they got someone in to place small explosive charges all over it.  The plan was that the noise would scare the hell out of the Gulls to such a degree that they'd clear off and not come back.  Numerous people viewed proceedings from down below....

.....only for hundreds of Gulls to rapidly take to the air as the charges went off, cr@p themselves then settle back down again....

Those watching from down below were literally covered in it.....🤣

In other news.....

The perfect excuse:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/stark-warning-not-cut-grass-26815339?int_source=nba

In other, other news....

Tomorrow may well see some more danglin' - painting (1st top coat) of the newel post and base rail; I've decided to postpone painting of the handrail until such time as I've finished messing about with architraves in order to minimise the risk of damaging the final finish.  Once the base rail has received all top coats (two, possibly three) I'll be able to finish the last small area of wallpapering.

The weather forecast suggests that tomorrow isn't looking to be a great day for doing any further architrave work anyway - I see that those viewing The Big Party in London may well be getting wet; what will be disappointing is if it screws the Flyover as well - there is talk of a scaled-down display, or even cancellation if the weather is too bad.

And finally....

It seems that Poo Tin & Co are blaming the US for masterminding the attack on a certain Big House in Moscow.  No surprises there then.

Bear gone

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I don't usually talk politics but its been reported that as many as 20% of voters have been turned away because of the lack of ID today at some polling stations. I voted last week as I have a postal vote, something I have had since 1970.

From the BBC

The Electoral Commission, which was given £5.6m to conduct a public awareness campaign, has tasked councils with recording how many would-be voters were turned away.

One of the issues is that party tellers outside the polling station have in some places been telling people they can’t go in without proper photo ID. So they go away. Anyone going in and being told by the polling clerks they can’t vote gets counted as refused due to lack of ID.
I have a postal vote. Odd that a few years ago it was alleged postal vote fraud that was exercising the  conspiracy minded.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

We cut ours in March and April. We have some splendid daisies and dandelions in flower to keep all the bees and wasps happy. The starlings seem to be happy with whatever insect they seem to eating from the lawn too. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been lovely today, sunshine, with a stiff breeze, but it didn’t stop me working outside cutting wood. Another good morning was had in the workshop today, another 4 pieces of rotten wood have been removed and 3 new pieces cut and fitted, the 4th hole has had a temporary cover fitted over to stop wildlife etc getting in. 

Charlie called round this afternoon and we all sat in the living room and had a good old chin wag. One if the subjects was housing and we really do feel sorry for the young of today desperately trying to get a place of their own, it’s extremely difficult for them. 

I dug up our lawn 3 years ago and replaced it with camomile, this is evergreen and doesn’t need mowing, it also stayed green during the heatwave last year😂

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Gulls was my name for senior officers as the rest of us had to clear up the mess they left behind. 

Jamie

We reserved that for the big brass from the US.

They would fly in.

Squawk a lot.

Eat your food

Sh1t on someone.

Fly off.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3