The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Rumour has it that more money per head is spent feeding criminals in prison than the per head spend on patient food in the NHS.

p.s. I am happy to stand corrected on this…

A quick Google suggests that the Hospital Budget for a meal is just over twice that of a scrote in Prison.

Bear here....

Firstly, VHBBW to Stewart 🎂🧁

Today has seen a minor danglin' session as predicted, followed by commencement of cutting the door architraves; the first section is a right PITA cos' it goes from floor to ceiling coving, as well as having to be reduced in width by quite a lot and then scribed to the (wobbly) wall.  How to finish the top of the architrave where it meets the coving is giving cause for ponder - I suspect it'll be a case of picking whatever idea looks right the least cr@p.  That section is still ongoing.....

BG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Are the washer dryer gods trying to tell me something.....

Tried to register an account with Electrolux at the weekend to buy an AEG model that with NHS discount is a very good price.  System wouldn't let me validate my account so it delayed my purchase till the end of the weekend.  Yesterday I attempted a chat session with them, waiting an hour before abandoning as no-one answered, then a later attempt worked.  Today it's still not fixed but stock levels were showing as low so I ordered as a guest got the discount and had the email confirming the order......then an email from Electrolux, sorry, website glitch and the item is not in stock, should be here within two weeks.  That and the fact I saw a glaring spelling mistake on the website is making me regret an order that has not even left the manufacturer yet.

£600 though for a decent £900 washer dryer is not to be sniffed at so I hope my faith that they will eventually deliver this item and am rewarded with a decent machine. 

I was looking at a Bosch for a bit more but lacking some rinse functions that we would like that the AEG offers.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

As I see it because of the Australian Law there are now far too many crocodiles around as they basically have no predators other than man.  In many many years time the result will be that no one will be able to swim or fish in rivers, ponds or the sea and most other marine/river life will be found in crocodiles because of it ... just a thought.

HAppy birthday Stewart.

They keep the sharks, seasnakes, Box Jellyfish,  Coneshells, Stonefish, and Sea Cassowaries  down. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

Don't prisoners cook their own food or is that just a TV thing?

If that is the case then the budget could be half but still produce a better product because there no direct labour cost (they might earn by other means) and they probably get options on what to buy and where from.

I wouldn't like to see patients cooking in hospital, in fact is it shipped in from outside premises rather than cooked on prem these days?

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hospital food varies; the stuff they serve up in UHW Hospital Cardiff is pretty good, usually something in a sauce, or a casserole, with rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes, and is also served in the staff restaurant, which is open to the public.  Reasonably priced for the public as well, though not as well-known as it should be; most punters allow themselves to suffer the vagaries of the concourse, where several 'fast food' and snack concessions vie for your money but you can't get a proper meal or sit at a table.  This hopital replaced, and for some time operated alongside of, Cardiff Royal Infirmary, an Edwardian mess of buildings just up the road from me that still functions as clinics of various types but is no longer a proper hospital with wards and beds.  Food here was truly dire, disgraceful, and mostly served cold and half-cooked at best, to the extent that when a mate spent some time there following a motorbike accident in the 80s, it was the usual routine for a nurse to be sent over the road to the Chinese with orders for the ward, or pizzas to be phoned out for.  Both hospitals had kitchens on the premises.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Happy Birthday Stewart.

Re the Croc incident, is it by chance that the incident was not that far away from Darwin as the croc swims. Great White Sharks and Tiger Sharks used to eat the crocs, but of course man has started to try and wipe those off the face of the earth, just so they can go for a paddle in the sea.

Given he was from a remote community in western Cape York ( a long way from Darwin ) he would have  almost certainly been indigenous, those guys have been living among  the crocs for 60,000 years.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Given he was from a remote community in western Cape York ( a long way from Darwin ) he would have been indigenous, those guys have been living among  the crocs for 60,000 years.

and the crocs weren't among the megafauna that went extinct with their helping hand....possibly. (climate change won't have helped but man introduced dingoes and they didn't help either)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Haven't ventured out today because of the hay fever, still blocked up despite keeping the doors and windows closed. Been doing sudoku and watching TV this afternoon.

• Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Given he was from a remote community in western Cape York ( a long way from Darwin ) he would have  almost certainly been indigenous, those guys have been living among  the crocs for 60,000 years.

Tributes flow for Laura publican after suspected croc attack < Latest News | Cape York Weekly | Cape York's free community newspaper servicing Weipa, Cooktown, NPA, Cape York, Torres Strait

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

However she probably remembers when I pruned the wrong clematis the wrong way. Fortunately that survived. 

Momma Bear used to have a Clematis in the back garden - growing up the shed wall.

*Allegedly* a certain young Cub watered it with Petrol one day.  That's bad, apparently.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

There are worse things than being eaten by a crocodile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36136635

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.................😱

And then there's the years of grief the poor guy's gonna get off all the other guys in the Building Trade........

19 minutes ago, DaveF said:

You may think me a skinflint for not paying to use car parks but it is quite simple.

In the words of Uncle Psycho Bear.....

"It costs enough to run a car without having to bluddy well pay to stop it...."

Incidentally, UPB was a pretty good Jazz Pianist (as a hobby) - if he had a quid for every time Bear asked him to play this he'd be rather rich:

Auntie Poly HATES Jazz with a vengeance - to say that Tom n' Jerry had nothing on that pair would be a real understatement....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, UPB was a pretty good Jazz Pianist (as a hobby) - if he had a quid for every time Bear asked him to play this he'd be rather rich:

Auntie Poly HATES Jazz with a vengeance - to say that Tom n' Jerry had nothing on that pair would be a real understatement....

I can just see the left hand getting bored playing dumpty dumpty dumpty dumpty all the time while the right hand gets all the interesting twiddly bits...

But I am partial to a bit of Albert Ammons!

Something a bit more RMWebby.   Tonk Train Blues by Mead Lux Lewis

Looks like the Net Nanny has chopped off the title, it should read H'onky Tonk Train Blues...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

An afternoon of yet more architrave cutting n' shaping - the pieces for the muddlin' room door frame are now ready for a final sanding then priming; these pieces were the most awkward to prepare as they required the most cutting to shape to (a) fit the wall, and (b) clear the top of the stair stringer.  One frame down, four to go.  Tick

Bear's culinary exploits continued today (yesterday it was Penne all' Amatriciana) - this evening it was Rhubard Crumble, using Beary-grown Rhubarb, no less.  Has Bear "seen the light"?  Well, er, not exactly....I'm right out of Pizzas, as well as grated Mozzarella to make my own.  Turdycurses.

In other news.....

The Golly Pub bites the dust:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-65471314

@Grizz has been up to his old tricks again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-65455991

And this Plod wins the Gold Medal for most hazardous shreddies of the year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-65450461

- one seriously lucky guy.

Bear gone.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2