The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The new version of the data-sheet added an external nand gate as a kludge to get around their design error 😁.  They never fixed the chip.

Easy fix then! Better than the Pentium 'divide by zero' problem. A hardware fix was easier than recoding all software to trap for zero divisors (which arguably should be the case with good software design practice anyway).

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

No ROM. You had to key-in a boot loader for the paper-tape reader.

Very old school - not even ePROM?

At one point I had a punch and die set for 'correcting' paper tape that I found in my desk drawer. It frustrates me no end that I don't know what happened to it. It was a great "what is this for?" item to ask young engineers.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Very old school - not even ePROM?

Nope. Hadn't been invented. Around that time DEC had a PDP-16 card with 16 ferrite cores and you could create ROM words by threading wires through the cores where you wanted a '1'.  Probably only allowed for 16 words. It was quite cool but it was not small. I did work on an even earlier machine where the "initial orders" were created by threading plastic or ferrite cores in the first plane of a core-store.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

It was a great pity we never got whole stories from my dad. Some years ago he did an interview for a living history project connected to an exhibition about the people of Birmingham. We knew he had been in Normandy and through Belgium including Caen and the Falaise Gap, but he just dropped out the name 'Operation Market Garden' in the conversation. He never said more about it but it turned out that his Redcap Provost were attached to ground troops trying to link up with the airborne attack. They did manage to capture Eindhoven while they were there but were then stranded for the winter due to ground conditions. He was sent home on leave where he met my mother before being transferred to the Indian Army.

I had a colleague who was also with the ground troops trying to link up with the airborne troops. He was a sergeant in the REME and he received the MM for erecting a Bailey Bridge while under fire.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Around that time DEC had a PDP-16 card with 16 ferrite cores and you could create ROM words by threading wires through the cores where you wanted a '1'.

All the text books I had referred to 'core memory' in chapter 1. By that time (early 1980s) no one was using it in new designs anymore and while it was no doubt still present in many existing 'mainframe' style designs it wasn't something my cohort ever dealt with.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

At one point I had a punch and die set for 'correcting' paper tape that I found in my desk drawer. It frustrates me no end that I don't know what happened to it. It was a great "what is this for?" item to ask young engineers.

We used to have a couple of non-interpreting single card manual punches in the office to avoid the need to walk across to another building to get the “punch girls” to correct a single card. That’s not to say we could all use them - you had to know the punch combination for each character. One of our system programmers could use one and carry on a conversation at the same time.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I made up a trial batch of Coronation Chicken*.

It's one we do all the time.  Roasting a cluckbird on average every other Sunday we are left with at least half the meat for Later Ron.  Dr. SWMBO, not one for re-heated meats, came up with the idea of "Coronating" it.

Mix Keen's curry powder (other brands are available but she insists ..... ), mayonnaise, mango chutney, raisins and flaked almonds in a bowl; a little salt and pepper if you wish.  Roughly chop cold chicken meat and add to the bowl.  Mix the goo and the meat together well and serve.  

So easy.  

And if you still don't use it all the remains will still keep for a few more days.  

As a student I learned how to get six decent meals from a chicken; we still do.  Two breasts, two legs, trimmings and soup back in the day.  Nowadays it's usually two roasts, two Coronation Chicken salads and two Coronation lunches.  Plus stock or soup now and again in season. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, polybear said:

The simplest ideas are often the best - has anyone been on it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-65429882

Not on that one. But I was on several of the others that were around in the west of Scotland (as the lady being interviewed said)  “back in the day”.

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

I should imagine there's nothing worse than a black, dripping banana gaffataped to your newly painted wall, surrounded by a dense cloud of fruit flies!

But then you re-brand it as a mobile.

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Honda made a CT110 especially for Australian posties from 1971 until now as they are being phased out for electric buggies which aren't as fun.

Postie bikes have cult status here and used ones are snapped up quickly.

Like the BSA Bantams that were used by PO telegram boys when telegrams were still a thing. One of my cousins got one for something like 7GBP - it came as a kit of parts in a large box, which he rebuilt.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I find it amusing that a right-wing organization would start questioning the admissibility of certain individuals but not certain others 😁

Adjectives other than ‘amusing’ are available.

Edited by pH
Revised price of a Bantam.
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I had to do some shopping this afternoon, usual things, bread, milk and eggs. Despite being back to normal there wasn't many eggs left. Those that were were XL size so I bought a dozen. They're Tess Coes own eggs and are normally very good.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

PMOS ePROM was around in 1971. The 8080 came out in 1974.

I imagine the early ePROM was quite expensive.

Yes, but IIRC we had that chip in '73 (it might even have been late '72 but maybe not.) The planning went back a bit before that too.

I also have a lot of experience with the earliest ePROMs and they were a complete load of crepe 😁  To avoid the manual bootstrap a small fusible-link PROM would have been ideal but I don't think they were around or easily obtainable quite then.

You have to remember that at that time there was no such thing as a micro-computer. There were plenty of competing minis but the whole idea of a programmable micro-computer made little sense (or so it seemed).

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Since some people here recognize TeX and its variations, here's a little image.

japanese.png.944394a70fa2b3669aeaac76caeac3f4.png

Supposedly it says something like 'Let's speak (or write in) Japanese'. Created with uptex and dvips, although for modern documents it would be much easier to use lualatex, and yes, that can now do vertical japanese typesetting.

Now back to your normal program of food, motorcycles and scenery.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

All the text books I had referred to 'core memory' in chapter 1. By that time (early 1980s) no one was using it in new designs anymore and while it was no doubt still present in many existing 'mainframe' style designs it wasn't something my cohort ever dealt with.

Then your text books clearly missed the point. DEC's PDP-16 (a product of the early 70's) was not intended to be any sort of general purpose computer. It was for process control applications, a predecessor if you like for the way microprocessors are embedded in everything from pencil sharpeners to nuclear power stations. DEC sort of missed the boat but they had the right idea and they understood that a small cheap-and-cheerful control system needed an easy way to boot-up.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes....

And a Rant to end the day on......

Bear has one of those clever hose pipes that magically "grows" in length when you put water thru' it.....or did.....

I was fighting to get it to connect onto the quick-release pipe coupling on the outside tap this afternoon (it was a bit of a p1g the last time I used it too); when I eventually managed it and turned the water on it was fine....for a few seconds, after which it started leaking big-time thru' the wall of the pipe itself.  Turdycurses - another one bites the dust 🤬  They seem to last for 3 years or so, after which they give up and die.  Fortunately I have a decent old-school style of hosepipe in the shed so that's now the go-to jobbie;  I'll not bother buying another clever one for the foreseeable whilst this one does the same job.

BG

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

They seem to last for 3 years or so, after which they give up and die. 

3 years??? Honestly, we have had three different brands of those and none has lasted through a summer. We’re back to heavy rubber ones - nowhere near as convenient, though.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Oh yes....

And a Rant to end the day on......

Bear has one of those clever hose pipes that magically "grows" in length when you put water thru' it.....or did.....

I was fighting to get it to connect onto the quick-release pipe coupling on the outside tap this afternoon (it was a bit of a p1g the last time I used it too); when I eventually managed it and turned the water on it was fine....for a few seconds, after which it started leaking big-time thru' the wall of the pipe itself.  Turdycurses - another one bites the dust 🤬  They seem to last for 3 years or so, after which they give up and die.  Fortunately I have a decent old-school style of hosepipe in the shed so that's now the go-to jobbie;  I'll not bother buying another clever one for the foreseeable whilst this one does the same job.

BG

Mine did the same last summer.  I've also gone back to my old fashioned one I kept as a spare.

David

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

38 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Then your text books clearly missed the point. DEC's PDP-16 (a product of the early 70's) was ... for process control applications

The text books were about general computing - not the PDP-16 and process control.

My degree specialized in electrical power generation/distribution and linear control theory. By the mid-80s there were a number of microprocessor-based microcontrollers in the control lab. That had become the main focus for the control theory teaching staff projects. A third-year project involved a 6502-based system running (of all things) FORTH, rather than "bare metal" assembler. (It turned out to be slightly too slow for my project.) My undergrad thesis was a process control lab setup using a PLC for later student experiments.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good game today.  Yorks ridings won by 9 wickets but boy was it freezing. Wasn't helped by a cold, thin wind.

More umpiring tomorrow.  50 over MCCU Women's game.

Time for some eyelid inspection. 

Sleep well/ enjoy your day wherever you are on Planet Earth!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4