The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, pH said:

But this  one is really annoying. It's one of the more interesting exhibits, but all I can remember about it is that it's a "Harley Davidson 'xxxx' Project". If anyone can identify it, please let me know.

11)

IMG_1848.jpg.0cf8685df5f25b833404ac8e79347cd1.jpg

Some info here , google V4 Nova Project and other sites show up .

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/h-d/Harley Davidson Nova Prototype.htm

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land  Last night I managed to sprain my elbow, not sure how as it makes things difficult as due to my wobbly legs I need at least one good arm to steady myself, going up and down stairs in particular.

Commiserations, Phil.

Let’s hope that it wasn’t your drinking arm…

Hopefully, your recovery will be swift….

• Agree 15

2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Can always use a straw!

Is it just an old wives tale that drinking beer through a straw gets you drunker quicker?

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, pH said:

Is it just an old wives tale that drinking beer through a straw gets you drunker quicker?

Old enough to be mentioned in the Canterbury Tales!

(The Manciples Prologue, lines 44/45)

http://www.librarius.com/canttran/manctale/manctale020-056.htm

TBH it was drinking wine through a straw from a barrel, but its close enough!

Edited by Hroth
clarification
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Cant think of any reason why it should. The amount of alcohol would be the same. Only variable would be how fast you drunk it. 
Sat out at a picknick table at Fox Calley and its started  raining so better move to shelter.

Not brought coats and we’ve parked my van further away than usual so we could ‘enjoy’ a longer walk. Ah well…….

I think the problem is that the drinker has no idea of the volume consumed, and things get out of hand...

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I think the problem is that the drinker has no idea of the volume consumed, and things get out of hand...

Exactly, thats why I mentioned the sane amount of alcohol. 
Mil is always coming up with old wives tales and believes them to be gospel. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Commiserations, Phil.

Let’s hope that it wasn’t your drinking arm…

Hopefully, your recovery will be swift….

The strongest thing I drink is tea.

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Old enough to be mentioned in the Canterbury Tales!

(The Manciples Prologue, lines 44/45)

http://www.librarius.com/canttran/manctale/manctale020-056.htm

TBH it was drinking wine through a straw from a barrel, but its close enough!

That reminds me, it must be years since I read the Canterbury Tales. I shall have to dig out my copy and read it again.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I have found an elasticated bandage for my elbow and it has eased it somewhat but I still cannot lift much. It also means a change of plan for dinner, tonight will be something via the micro.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Cant think of any reason why it should. The amount of alcohol would be the same. Only variable would be how fast you drunk it. 

I am sure that I read somewhere that drinking through a straw meant that more CO2 ended up in the stomach and that this increased the rate of alcohol absorption through the stomach wall.   Something to do with a mouthful of beer tending to release more CO2 in the mouth while from a straw it tends to go straight down the throat.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 16

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, PupCam said:

A goodly number of classic cars turned up the two most notable being a classic 1930s Bentley (albeit sans blower) and a 1949 streamlined Tatra.  A Czechoslovakian manufacturer I'd never heard of.  The design dates from the mid to late 30's - the classical first streamline era.  It would look great in the station car park just as the Silver Jubilee or Coronation (how topical) pulled in.     The engine looks distinctly VW/Porsche like and I understand good old Ferdinand apparently borrowed the design and the rest, as they say, is history!   Anyway, it was a most attractive car that had been beautifully restored over a ten year period.

Tatra1.jpg.42f217da34cffeffce676f9b071f73a7.jpg

Tatra2.jpg.6c3158ae428831da41ec3c2b94ae4964.jpg

Tatra3.jpg.f8561c076a9f295104f2c4d685c4688c.jpg

TTFNQ

Introduced in the mid thirties it was the VW beetles big brother, with a three litre air cooled V8 hanging out of the back, great fun on an icy Alpine road it was not. It was referred to as the Czech secret weapon during the war as so many German officers were killed driving them that Hitler forbade his officers from driving them. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 18

From Healthline.com

Will drinking alcohol through a straw get you drunk faster?

Many people think drinking alcohol with a straw will get you drunk faster.

One theory is that the straw acts like a vacuum and reduces oxygen, which increases intoxication. Another theory is that alcohol vapor gets trapped in the straw and is absorbed through your lungs.

These explanations are purely hypothetical. There’s no scientific evidence to support the notion that a straw changes your body’s alcohol absorption. 

But using a straw can make you drink more alcohol without realizing it. That’s because it’s more convenient to drink with a straw.

As a result, you might get drunk faster due to the increased intake of alcohol. The straw, however, has no effect on your rate of alcohol absorption.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

13 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Something I always find interesting about Jakarta and Indonesia in general is that there is so little left of Dutch influence. In Singapore and Malaysia you see evidence of the British everywhere, especially in Singapore the language of administration and common language of the country is still English. 

That's an interesting observation. I would include Hong Kong in your list of comparisons. It will be interesting to observe how much British influence remains fifty years from now. (The end of the Hong Kong lease being a quarter century ago versus around three quarters of a century since Indonesian independence.)

13 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Maybe part of it is that Britain left Malaya and Singapore on the basis of an amicable divorce rather than fighting a rather vicious war to try and hang on. 

I doubt that very much. The Malayan emergency wasn't really 'amicable' with well over 10,000 deaths.

I think it is suggestive that despite a long occupation, perhaps the Dutch influence wasn't pervasive to the whole population and their colonial rule was essentially a layer on the top. We shouldn't forget that tensions with Dutch and Portuguese colonial possessions (like the western half of the island of New Guinea, and Timor) continued long after independence and we should consider whether subtle but systematic attempts to expunge "Dutchness" were in play. (Sukarno was a prisoner of the Dutch before the war and exiled to a remote part of Sumatra. He was released by the invading Japanese. Sukarno was also a player in the "Borneo confrontation" following the creation of Malaysia.)

In Indochine there was evident French influence in areas like cuisine - including the delightful bánh mì sandwich - southeast Asian flavours on a baguette. (Many Vietnamese expatriates in the US run bakeries.) An expatriate Vietnamese former colleague spoke fluent Vietnamese, French, English and Russian.

EDIT:

There are of course some Dutch-influenced Indonesian foods - like Klappertaarte (a coconut custard) but I'm not familiar with them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9