The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Manly ferry gets its share of rough crossings

The Freshwater Class of vessel was designed and built for that crossing and could take everything in their stride.  Which was more than could be said for some of the passengers.  I have made a couple of very rough crossings similar to those in the images above.  And plenty of much smoother ones.  Their recent replacements are simply not up to the job resulting in regular cancellations much to the ire of regular users.  

Part of the problem arises in that the vessels need to turn beam-on to the swell as they enter the open channel just out of Manly.  There can be some pretty big seas running out there, just inside the limits of the Parramatta River from the open ocean as wind and tide force water into the narrow opening.  I have never yet felt sea-sick but have also never crossed open water (as in the world's oceans and beyond sight of land) by boat.  

I had a very lumpy passage up the Kyles of Bute from Mallaig to Kyle of Lochalsh aboard the MV Loch Arkaig (which later sank, I believe, but long after my trip) when we were locked below.  As with the Manly ferry the bow was in the air one moment and the decks beneath the waves the next.  Up and down at something like 30 degrees I reckoned.  

I never crossed to Scilly by sea but have seen the Scillonian III and her predecessor, and the freight vessel Gry Maritha, tackling stormy waters off the Penwith coast again with a "dry" bow aimed skywards then plunging at around 30 degrees down the next trough and into the wave before resurfacing.  A good friend tells me they don't serve teas in such conditions and also lock you below.  They would, quite rightly,  rather clean up the mess than have one overboard.  

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

the ship was rising and falling about two metres inside the inner harbour at Dover. To drive the car onto the ferry it had to be timed with the rise and fall of the ship.

If you think it was tricky with a car spare a thought for the crews managing the train ferry! 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

@Gwiwer might well be rather impressed by the actions of this lad:

Good work that man.  

The driver knew something was wrong, called his controller but became unable to control the vehicle very quickly.  At least the open cab layout permits the action seen of taking control of wheel and brake by someone else.  You can't do that on most British buses.  You'd need to at least get into the cab first with a door opening from inside or with a driver's key.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Good work that man.  

The driver knew something was wrong, called his controller but became unable to control the vehicle very quickly.  At least the open cab layout permits the action seen of taking control of wheel and brake by someone else.  You can't do that on most British buses.  You'd need to at least get into the cab first with a door opening from inside or with a driver's key.  

They have removed some of the covid screens on our buses in Leeds and left a gap to get to the door lock. OK for safety issues like the one addressed not good in so me areas of Leeds

Baz

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

After action report from cpl W Allett... " despite sustained spending w allet should recover well"

OUCH!!!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've got to do a bit of shopping especially with two bank holidays on the trot coming up. Its either that or starve. That might be a good idea as the pounds have been piling on lately. A few grumbles from the arthritis/sciatica so Nurofen has been taken.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

And for the well-hoofed ones it'll be Chrimbo in Baaaaaabados......

For the less well heeled its best to go in October/November when the wet season is over and before the Christmas season.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2023 at 08:38, jjb1970 said:

I'm guessing the overwhelming majority are either intentional or a result of silly behaviour. All the decks have handrails and increasingly open areas seem to be getting glass screens. Those arrangements can fail, but it's extremely rare, so most of those going overboard are either jumping, pushed or doing silly thing (getting a better look over the side, photos sitting on the handrails and such like).

It's increasingly problematic for the cruise segment (and others I expect), one of the attractions is to go out on deck and just enjoy being outside looking out to sea or whatever land the ship might be passing. Risk people now see such decks as a safety hazard they'd rather not have and want to either minimise them or have full height screening to prevent people going over the side. I can see why a risk manager might push that but I also find it quite sad as it fundamentally alters the experience and effectively walls us off from the world outside. Minimizing open deck also tends to be agreeable to the commercial people wanting to maximize space for cabins, bars, shops and to fill the upper deck areas with swimming pools, slides, theme ride type stuff etc.

Have enjoyed the odd cruise but if the above came in there is no way that I would take another and it horrifies at present to see so many decks with minimal 'outside' space.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Have enjoyed the odd cruise but if the above came in there is no way that I would take another and it horrifies at present to see so many decks with minimal 'outside' space.

I too would hate to be on a ship without real outside space where I can see the sea properly and even lean over the rail.  I know it is unfashionable to say so but I think it would be my fault if I went overboard.

David

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It was Cook who did the "transit of Venus' gig in HMB Endeavour. It was the "official" reason for his first circumnavigation voyage. (Looking for Terra Australis was in his secret orders.)

Correct of course, another senior moment to add to my already impressive list.  He was present when Cook was killed on Hawaii, which had an effect on the later jollyboat voyage where he was very reluctant to land for fresh water on islands where the friendliness or otherwise of the locals was not known.  His command on this voyage was magnificent, a great distance in an open boat with just a sextant, all delivered alive and well, though you wouldn't have called them particularly healthy, to Batavia (where some of them promptly died of malaria due to be poor conditions there).  He seems to have shone in adverse conditions where his obstinacy and obsessiveness were an advantage.

Nowadays we would recognise that he was mentally ill, psychotic.  He seems to display symptoms common to bipolar disorder and paranoid schizophrenia; the row on Bounty over the cheese which triggered the mutiny is highly indicative.  The idea that everybody was conspiring against him took hold and became a self-fulfilling prophecy, a situation which seems to have repeated itself some years later in Australia where there was a revolt against his governership.  The Charles Laughton and Trevor Howard portrayals were no doubt caricatures to some extent, and the real situation must have been far more complex and nuanced.  Naval discipline was necessarily unbendingly strict in those days, both to ensure effectiveness in battle and to maintain order over very long periods at sea, and the line between authoritarianism and tyranny is not always clear. 

The life may have been one particularly conducive to the development of mental issues.  Robert Fitzroy, who took command of Beagle after her previous captain, Brinkley Stokes, shot himself during a bout of severe depression, inherited the depression as well as the ship, and famously fell out with his companion, the young Charles Darwin, several times.  He also ultimately committed suicide while very suffering from depression, though to what extent that tragedy was triggered by the increasing fame and acceptance of Darwin's theories, to which his own belief system was diametrically opposed, is moot.  These long surveying voyages took a terrible mental toll on these men; Fitzroy was self-aware enough to invite Darwin on his second voyage in Beagle specifically to have someone with whom he could converse and to an extent share the burden.

Darwin was of course irrepressably cheerful, in his element, observing and recording stuff, then recommending methods of cooking it and the best wine to accompany it. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The reason he was chosen for the Tahiti 'Transit of Venus' gig with Bounty; he was probably the best navigator in the navy and of course had the kudos of having studied under The Master, and of course he knew the Tahiti Royal Family personally from his visits with Cook. 

It is a shame his man-management skills were not of the same order...

Agree with part 1 after all they had sailed 28000 miles before the mutiny because he kept a stern eye on things and of course the men were having a great time with the Polunesioan women and did not want to continue on the main purpose of the voyage.  We all know of  activists and of course the 1930s film painted him as such dire person and that has stuck.  There probably was some truth in his manner (disciplinarian) but it must also be remembered that many men were lost at sea for various ailments and he had lost none.  Historically look what happened to the mutineers ...

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7