The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Sad news today.

A very good friend from a long time ago has died. He was the gentleman who trialed Thermal Imagers on tanks and grasped what a major difference they would make. He then helped to set up the new training regime for gunners and commanders in the Royal Armoured Corps.

RIP Colonel Alastair Miller OBE Queens Royal Irish Hussars.

Baz

Very sorry to hear your news Baz.     My condolences to you and may he RIP

Alan

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I've had the joys of being in an MS16 life raft off Portland (the UK one) in cr@p weather and they get warm very, very quickly thanks to the roof.

The English Channel is known for inclement weather, but the Oregon coast has its moments too. James Cook named one headland "Cape Foulweather" and both he and, later, George Vancouver* both wintered in Hawai'i rather than dealing with the Pacific Northwest coast at that time of year.

* of course Vancouver was there the first time too. (William Bligh, yes, that one, was Cook's sailing master on HMS Resolution.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... (e.g. Alexander Fleming’s “groundbreaking” discovery of penicillin would not have happened if he hadn’t had the knowledge to understand and interpret what he observed - knowledge acquired from others…).

Or if he had had the knowledge, acquired from others, on how to keep a clean lab bench!

Edited by pH
Tense
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

... both he and, later, George Vancouver* both wintered in Hawai'i rather than dealing with the Pacific Northwest coast at that time of year.

Wise people! And that tradition continues.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

(William Bligh, yes, that one, was Cook's sailing master on HMS Resolution.)

The reason he was chosen for the Tahiti 'Transit of Venus' gig with Bounty; he was probably the best navigator in the navy and of course had the kudos of having studied under The Master, and of course he knew the Tahiti Royal Family personally from his visits with Cook. 

It is a shame his man-management skills were not of the same order...

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The reason he was chosen for the Tahiti 'Transit of Venus' gig with Bounty;

It was Cook who did the "transit of Venus' gig in HMB Endeavour. It was the "official" reason for his first circumnavigation voyage. (Looking for Terra Australis was in his secret orders.)

Bligh was not aboard Endeavour when it went to Tahiti. He was rated as an able seaman on HMS Hunter around that time. Cook's third voyage would visit Tahiti.

Bligh's official mission was to find breadfruit seedlings to see if it could be cultivated as cheap food for African slaves in Caribbean sugar plantations (hence the name HMAV Bounty):

... he first sailed to Tahiti to obtain breadfruit trees, then set course east across the South Pacific for South America and the Cape Horn and eventually to the Caribbean Sea, where breadfruit was wanted for experiments to see whether it would be a successful food crop for enslaved Africans on British colonial plantations in the West Indies islands. According to one modern researcher, the notion that breadfruit had to be collected from Tahiti was intentionally misleading. Tahiti was merely one of many places where the esteemed seedless breadfruit could be found. The real reason for choosing Tahiti has its roots in the territorial contention that existed then between France and Great Britain at the time.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I find this interesting, given the way the RN worked at the time:

Because the vessel was rated only as a cutter, Bounty had no commissioned officers other than Bligh (who was then only a lieutenant), a very small crew, and no Royal Marines to provide protection from hostile natives during stops or to enforce security on board ship.

On most RN warships of the time, the Royals' day-to-day job, was to protect the officers from the crew. Except in action, a marine was always posted outside the captain's quarters.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

19 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm guessing the overwhelming majority are either intentional or a result of silly behaviour. All the decks have handrails and increasingly open areas seem to be getting glass screens. Those arrangements can fail, but it's extremely rare, so most of those going overboard are either jumping, pushed or doing silly thing (getting a better look over the side, photos sitting on the handrails and such like).

The Manly ferry gets its share of rough crossings which  has made for a cheap lunchtime amusement ride for at least 50 years:

image.png.5d9f8413c644110364ad6bf8f6b1375c.png

image.png.11e5328ca3fd5a5d70d6f9b141f37033.png

image.png.7c3cf60e0b50037e90c02675f117a930.png

I don't  recall any restriction on riding outside during even the roughest crossings, the fun police don't seem to operate on Sydney Ferries, and I don't recall anyone being lost due to just being washed overboard.  There is on average one overboard incident every few months but almost all are through either skylarking or from suicide attempts.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Glad it wasn't that rough when I took it, many years ago.

From 1984 until 1996 when I stopped working in the city it cost about $3.80 for an hours worth  of  soaking wet  thrill.  Beat that, Amusement Park log rides!

Loved those East Coast Low lunchtimes. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Manly ferry gets its share of rough crossings which  has made for a cheap lunchtime amusement ride for at least 50 years:

image.png.5d9f8413c644110364ad6bf8f6b1375c.png

image.png.11e5328ca3fd5a5d70d6f9b141f37033.png

image.png.7c3cf60e0b50037e90c02675f117a930.png

I don't  recall any restriction on riding outside during even the roughest crossings, the fun police don't seem to operate on Sydney Ferries, and I don't recall anyone being lost due to just being washed overboard.  There is on average one overboard incident every few months but almost all are through either skylarking or from suicide attempts.

Nothing compared to the Renfrew Ferry.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Nothing compared to the Renfrew Ferry.

Our mum (a very smart lady) twigged that she could wheel us down there in the pram and stay on the upper deck for as long as she wanted for the price of single fare. We seemed to find the rumble from the engines and chains very soothing. (We being me and my two older brothers.)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

RE: Spicy "Asian" flavours, 

Sriracha* is very popular in the US as a condiment - particularly one made by LA-based Huy Fong FoodsIt is presently unobtainable, due to a drought-related chili crop failure in Mexico last summer.

Amazon UK have it - at about five times the price of an alternative brand in Tesco.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

12 hours ago, Grizz said:

Erm…Huston we have a problem.

Now what I want to know is which one of these three did a ‘Friday Afternoon Job’ on the little egg.

Left to right, Bunty, Solar and Babs.

C9BE105C-26F7-41F3-BB39-3306DCD33657.jpeg.3f69c08fcb313909022d66649e6d728f.jpeg

F0CDFC43-08BA-4370-A9DF-3293A722E725.jpeg.cd783b1b52977446686cf7a2fff553f4.jpeg

Tell her to pull her finger out, you won't get many Coronation Quiches at that rate.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 19

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

RE: Spicy "Asian" flavours, 

Sriracha* is very popular in the US as a condiment - particularly one made by LA-based Huy Fong FoodsIt is presently unobtainable, due to a drought-related chili crop failure in Mexico last summer.

* Derived from a Thai chili sauce.

I've been trying to restock and the local supermarkets are all out of the brand-leader. I ended up buying a 'store-brand' one. It is different - tastes OK, but doesn't have the same punch.

This one?  I Just checked the brand as I was doing tea, we are still living on the heap ofkarrs we stocked up on for lockdown.

I chuck it in everything except Pavlova, makes it all Asiany.

PXL_20230429_080012363.jpg.c068e8f4f09aaa5948c5dd74deba5627.jpg

• Like 12