The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

On cynicism, I am getting increasingly annoyed at the attitudes of many in the media and on social media towards the test of the government emergency alert system. OK, a lot of people didn't get the alert (though interestingly enough my Singaporean number did), well that's why you do a test - to find out if the system works and consider what you need to do if it doesn't work. In science and engineering it's what you do, and a test which doesn't go very well is not a failure as such, it's a learning opportunity, it's infinitely better to find out what doesn't work in a test than if you have to use a system in earnest. Do people think the best policy is to just have such systems and hope for the best if they're ever needed in anger so as to avoid embarrassment if tests identify things which need to be improved? I just put a friends nose out of joint by asking them the question - 'WTF do you think we do tests?' and pointing out if they were so expert then I'm sure they'd easily find gainful employment as the world always has a need for geniuses. 

I suspect that was a rant, sorry.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Agree 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, polybear said:

All I need now is for the seller/manufacturer to play ball and quote me for 845mm panels as they're normally 800mm.....

Bear gone.

Sounds very, very expensive.

I watched enough tv diy shows to know anything not ‘off the shelf’ is disproportionately expensive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Actually it's mostly the other way round, whilst there has been some settlement, the river is rising to meet the bridge.

The isostatic rebound of Scotland after the ice age, is tipping England down by about 0.6mm per year. In the 678 years since the bridge was built that's about a 400mm rise. Added to that the water level rise for the last 678 years is in the ball park of 200mm, so the water level has risen by about 600mm or 2ft. 

In the last 500 years the waters have been confined especially at its exit in Great Yarmouth, also as the land has been drained it's pumped in the rivers raising the river level still further.

I'd be careful there. Your reply seems to assume that @Hroth has been looking at the bridge over a comparable period; I'd had him down as a sprightly young thing.

As to the isostatic rebound, if 0.6 mm/yr is the current rate, will it not have been faster in the past? 

I assume Potter Heigham is sufficiently far upstream to be as yet unaffected by global sea rise? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Dunno what you've been smokin' there CC (or is it iD?) but it sure as hell ain't doin' you much good.....

Bear here......

Ponder has been engaged, and now disengaged.  I'm now on Plan No. 57 - which is back to glass panels again....😮

The current scheme is to use five separate 200mm wide panels (that have nice rounded tops & bottoms 😁) with 92mm gaps between each one; the panels are secured top & bottom with nice shiny polished stainless steel clamps.  All I need now is for the seller/manufacturer to play ball and quote me for 845mm panels as they're normally 800mm.....

Bear gone.

Here ya go...............................https://www.bespokeglassonline.co.uk

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'd be careful there. Your reply seems to assume that @Hroth has been looking at the bridge over a comparable period; I'd had him down as a sprightly young thing.

As to the isostatic rebound, if 0.6 mm/yr is the current rate, will it not have been faster in the past? 

I assume Potter Heigham is sufficiently far upstream to be as yet unaffected by global sea rise? 

Err no, it may be 17 miles inland by river, but there is a substantial tide in both directions. Tidal change at the bridge is on average about 500mm but can be as much as a metre on extreme occasions.

The next high tide is about 18:45.

The above is part of the fun of the 3 Rivers Race, ideal timing means you get there about 1/2 hour before high tide, which gives you time to sail up to the buoy at the top of Hickling Broad with the tide, round the buoy and return with the tide going out.

This means for the majority of boats in this years race ( 3rd-4th June )the ideal time is. .... 01:30 on the Sunday morning. It's most awkward tides this year as direct sailing from the start get you there in 3 to 4 hours at about maximum tide against you..

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Err no, it may be 17 miles inland by river, but there is a substantial tide in both directions. Tidal change at the bridge is on average about 500mm but can be as much as a metre on extreme occasions.

So yes, it will be affected by rising global sea level.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, not tidal variation but global rise in mean sea level.

If you get tidal variation then the rise in sea level affects the tide levels at the bridge.

As an example if we get Northerly winds for a time, the level of the southern north sea rises, 

If you get a low air pressure the north sea rises.

Add the above with spring tides and the broads floods. Including in and around the bridge.

Here's a video of minor floods at the bridge not quite enough to go into the fields.

https://youtu.be/Pu347MmBhlE

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

If you get tidal variation then the rise in sea level affects the tide levels at the bridge.

I meant, as a long term trend due to global warming. The whole area is at some risk, as far as I can see. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes. The water level at the bridge has risen by about 8 inches since it was built due to sea level rise, of which 6 inches is since 1900.

The map is of areas that could be affected. I'm on one of the new islands.

The current sea level rise today for the UK is 3mm a year. So every year there is an increased risk. At that rate the red of the  map below would be permanently flooded by 200 years.

image.png.db91b97207308f9a5f212b8b087887c0.png

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

14 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'm always a bit surprised that with around 40,000 inhabitants there are not more traffic problems with only the three roads in and out of the place.  It's fortunate that there is no through traffic as you cannot go east as you would be in the sea or north as there is no bridge in the town over the estuary

The cul-de-sac as applied to a whole town - you only drive to it if you mean to, there is no passing traffic.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'm always a bit surprised that with around 40,000 inhabitants there are not more traffic problems with only the three roads in and out of the place.  It's fortunate that there is no through traffic as you cannot go east as you would be in the sea or north as there is no bridge in the town over the estuary.

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The cul-de-sac as applied to a whole town - you only drive to it if you mean to, there is no passing traffic.

The same applied to Burnham-on-Crouch where I used to live. Only two routes out of the town, north and west. The other two directions and you would get very wet. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, DaveF said:

When I lived in Basildon I always enjoyed visiting Burnham on Crouch but sadly the prices were too high for me to buy a house there then.

David

I moved in there in 1982, before the line was electrified when property there was quite cheap. I only lived there for less than six years and due to the 'sparks effect' the value of the property trebled in that time.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

My cousin and her husband are on a cruise. The vessel is in the news:

CNN: Cruise passenger disappears overboard during trip from Australia to Hawaii

I believe this is a repositioning cruise from the summer season in the South Pacific to the North Pacific summer. The incident occurred on the leg from French Polynesia to Hawai'i.

I look forward to hearing from my cousin after her return home next week.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The same applied to Burnham-on-Crouch where I used to live. Only two routes out of the town, north and west. The other two directions and you would get very wet. 

There is a big cul de sac.... called Barrow in furness. One road in.. one road out.. and if you go to walney Island it is also one road in.. the same road out.

Baz

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My cousin and her husband are on a cruise. The vessel is in the news:

CNN: Cruise passenger disappears overboard during trip from Australia to Hawaii

I believe this is a repositioning cruise from the summer season in the South Pacific to the North Pacific summer. The incident occurred on the leg from French Polynesia to Hawai'i.

I look forward to hearing from my cousin after her return home next week.

We did one of those cruises in 2019.  Sydney to Vancouver. We both arrived Safely.

Jamie

• Like 14