The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is a whole industry based on criticizing the POTUS (often deserved, sometimes not) - without involving any threat of jail time. Long may that continue.

Even thinking about removal of the monarchy is illegal here. Not sure how that can be prosecuted. The law has been updated though as transportation to Australia has been replaced with life imprisonment.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It's getting far too political around here.

I didn’t think I was being political, just commenting on an interesting constitutional difference between here and there.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Scottish island could be yours for $190,000

Is that Scottish dollars? 

Do they know something the rest of us don't? 

I thought the future currency for a devolved nation might have been the McBitcoin

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis has been playing up this afternoon/evening. Not surprisingly as the rain has been heading this way and arrived about five, Nurofen has been taken. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis has been playing up this afternoon/evening. Not surprisingly as the rain has been heading this way and arrived about five, Nurofen has been taken. 

The rain had been quite heavy at times over the last few days. We have a path made of blocks with holes in them. Normally they drain well with the sort of rain normally experienced here, but they have had puddles recently. Also all the moss has been washed off the roof tiles!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I didn’t think I was being political, just commenting on an interesting constitutional difference between here and there.  

Wasn't aimed at you, Tony, just happened to arrive after your post.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Do they know something the rest of us don't? 

I thought the future currency for a devolved nation might have been the McBitcoin

The CNN report had the price in USD. British articles had the price in Pounds. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In Scottish coinage, it’s 9 million groats or 6 million bawbees.

(Edit- apparently, there once was a Scottish dollar:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/x45999

though other references say it was worth 60 shillings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_Scots

So, in ‘60 shilling’ Scottish dollars, the island would cost 50,000 Scottish dollars.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold

My town is in the news, well at least the regional news. A valve stuck at the local  sewage treatment plant.  Not nice apparently. The clear up was delayed as the tanker despatched to pump away the effluent was too big to go under the railway bridge. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

@Gwiwer's comments about the 370 started me thinking about how the London route numbers were allocated. The numbers were allocated by the Metropolitan Police Public carriage office. Quite a simple system, 1-199 were allocated to double deck routes, 2** were single deck routes, 3** were country routes north of the river Thames and 4** were country routes south of the river. The Greenline routes originally carried letters not numbers. Trams (and trolleybuses) had a separate numbering system. This was the situation when London Transport came into being in 1933. The first change was to add 600 to the trolleybus numbers to avoid clashing with bus and tram routes and when trams were replaced by trolleybuses 600 was added to the route number. When single deck routes were changed to double deck they often retained the 2** number.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 16

4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

That of course is highly dependent on wind direction

That is a Canadair water bomber about 3km from our village last summer.  No smoke smell.  No sign of smoke from the other side of the village.  All it would have needed was a change in wind direction.........

Yeah I was riffing on the "major fire" bit. The one I pictured was the Green Wattle Creek fire that blazed out of control for 2 months and ended up burning almost 300,000 hectares.  We were certainly well aware that it was there no matter which way the wind blew!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Day four of a 4 day long weekend coming about due to ANZAC Day being Tuesday so we all took Monday off too.

That is exactly the kind of  Australian freedom that the diggers  volunteered and travelled thousands of km to the Middle East then France  to fight for and makes up  for us not getting any time off for King Chuck Threes Sparkly Hat Day. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

After I’d completed this morning’s shopping trip and packed away all the shopping , I made myself a muggertea and decamped to the living room and carried on reading the book I bought on Friday and I finished reading it before we had tea tonight.

Goodnight all

• Like 18

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Many of the old resort islands , South Molle, Lindeman, Brampton, Dunk, Hinchinbrook  and so on which were big travel destinations in the 70's 80's and 90's have slowly fallen into disrepair

Mum and Dad honeymooned on South Molle in 1961. Dad's slides are great - like the lizards on the ceiling of the open air bar. There was an old deuce and a half truck* that they drove into the water to meet the boat, in lieu of a jetty.

* Probably war surplus

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Today we went to an opening performance at Stratford of King Lear. The title role was done by a fellow who appeared in one of Jason Shron's recent videos.

I remember our English teacher, last year at school, strongly recommending that we pass that year as the play the following year would be Lear.  

I wasn't keen on going and do not want to go again.

We're still not sure who all the characters were.

• Friendly/supportive 19