The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

…. I've picked up a few motorbike accidents and most weren't pleasant. 

Jamie

One motorcycle accident that stuck in my mind was one that involved a young lady wearing only a helmet, boots and a bikini (well, it was a hot day) who came off the back of the bike on a gravel road and tumbled. Fortunately for her it was at a relatively low speed - but even so she was abraded from neck down to the top of her boots - except for a perfect bikini in undamaged skin (where the cloth had protected her). As we found out when we treated her in  the ER.

She may not have been seriously injured, but she had definitely learnt the advantages of wearing motorcycle leathers - even in hot weather.

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Having re-built two car engines in my yoof I can understand what horrors await when repairing an engine. I was fortunate in that I had expert guidance in the shape of my dad who was trained in motor mechanics in the army.

The husband and son of a Secretary at work removed a gearbox from a car, had it rebuilt (££££££) then refitted it, only for it to go bang soon afterwards.  After SWMBO ranted at the re-furbisher they calmly pointed out that the receipts do clearly state that gearboxes are sent out without oil - as do the warning labels attached to the gearboxes.....

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

President @polybear?

Hmm, has a certain ring to it....

Free cake for all - or something else if you're not allowed cake.

• Like 9
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Sensible motorcyclists always dress for the slide NOT the ride ….

Bear once did some Video work from the rear cabin of a Bo105 Heli, with the cabin door slid back (which kinda took some getting used to as Bear doesn't "do" heights - I was les than keen on the lap belt harness as well as I was more used to a four-point jobbie).

Bear was dressed in thermals plus a RN Immersion Suit, Aircrew Helmet, Lifejacket and STASS Bottle; the pilot was dressed in trousers, shirt, lifejacket and headset.  In Jan/Feb, over the Irish Sea.....

I do recall thinking that if we were to go down he was gonna be in severe sh1t and unlikely to make it.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Want to buy an island? https://www.galbraithgroup.com/property/cad170147-barlocco-island-borgue-kirkcudbright-dumfries-and-galloway-dg6-4ud/ No trees or buildings and you need a boat to get to it at high tide or a tractor/quad-bike at low tide. 

CNN was running that story over the weekend, under their "Travel" umbrella.

CNN: This uninhabited Scottish island could be yours for $190,000

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

the alternatives as head of state could be far worse ...

In avoidance of politics I'll (mostly) abstain, but the argument that the Monarchy in the British parliamentary system does anything* (non ceremonial) as head of state is a bit facetious.

* The only exception I can think of is the monarch asking WSC to form an unelected government in 1939.

I would suggest that a PM is equally capable of making a mess as an elected head of state.

The Constitutional Monarchy failed Australia in the biggest constitutional crisis in Australian history.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Just look at USA, ... much better ... the fact that we can criticise our politicians beyond reason without being clapped in jail or worse.

There is a whole industry based on criticizing the POTUS (often deserved, sometimes not) - without involving any threat of jail time. Long may that continue.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

Morning all.

Weekend update, as usual.

Saturday, "Hamilton" was excellent. Worth seeing if you haven't. This was our second time, some folks have apparently seen in MANY more!

Sunday - Earth Day services with the choir in attendance for the last time this year, went extremely well but very tiring. There is a very good A/V presentation as part of the service with the choir singing various pieces, new result, too much standing <phew>.

After that, spent the afternoon taking up the garden railway tracks. We're having some landscaping done in front, including EXPANDING the space for the train <yay>, but it all needed to be removed to facilitate the work. Time for a NAP after that!!

Already had landscap4ers here at 8am, and a Vet visit for Bob at 10am. Bob is fine, regular check shows he's in good health for his age. Was p!ssed at having to go to the Vet though, no surprise there. So much so, they elected to NOT take a blood sample - I said that was a GOOD decision 😃

Weather chilly all weekend, -1c first thing today, mostly sunny, high of 8c forecast.

Tally ho.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here ya  go then.

How is an island in the Whitsundays listed under "Coomera"? (more than 800km away).

image.png.573be49628107a06b85cb297a4bc6333.png

I'm guessing that the realtor doesn't have islands in the Whitsunday group come up very often, and more regularly flogs off holiday lets in a former swamp to unsuspecting Victorians as "Gold Coast" and "close to Dreamworld".

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 11

18 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

"Hamilton" was excellent. Worth seeing if you haven't.

I'm sure I would enjoy it. Apparently I read the Ron Chernow biography of Alexander Hamilton at roughly the same time that Lin-Manuel Miranda did. I found it quite eye-opening regarding other biographers' (thinly veiled) hagiographies of other 'founders' (like Jefferson).

While I found the biography compelling (if a little dry) we can conclude that Lin-Manuel is much more creative than I.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I discovered here in 2019  that it is actually pretty easy to not be oblivious to the major fire just over the hill!

MVIMG_20191222_072031.jpg.d48060902c88af2a5edc77c1eb84033f.jpg

That of course is highly dependent on wind direction

IMG_2543(2).JPG.628b7cd4aaa6e1dc70eeccc145fccebd.JPG

That is a Canadair water bomber about 3km from our village last summer.  No smoke smell.  No sign of smoke from the other side of the village.  All it would have needed was a change in wind direction.........

• Friendly/supportive 17

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr. SWMBO is very persuasive in her arguments about emitting less but acknowledges the need to sometimes fly to far-off places.  We have both been keenly aware of the carbon footprint left by our travels between the UK and Australia over the years. 

2.5% of global anthropogenic CO2 is produced by air travel (even including all the executive jets flying to Davos). Other sources (like cement production at 8%) contribute much, much more.

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

On a more localised level we have been aware, especially in the past three years or so, of the increasing carbon footprint of the "delivery-van society" where we order stuff from the comfort of our homes, or from our phones where ever we might be, and it turns up in one of those ubiquitous white (usually) vans we often moan about.  

We do our bit.  

One could make the argument that a single white van making many deliveries produces a fraction of the CO2 produced by the alternative of multiple individual journeys by car to the supermarket and back to purchase the same amount of groceries.

And were that van electrified - it is a mission suitable for EVs - then far, far less.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

The temperature roller coaster continues here.

After above normal temperatures on Saturday, the last two days were/are cooler (14°C, which is below normal). We are still eagerly expecting our first >70°F (>21°C day) in the last five months on Wednesday and now Friday's forecast is for 85°F / 30°C! That won't last long.

I'd be content with "normal" which is around 18°C.

• Like 13