The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

And finally finally.....

A friend tells me that EDF predict her combined G & E bill is something in the region of £4.5K/year 😮

Sh111111111111111111t........................

Bear gone.

At £ 440 per month that is mine reducing to £433 sometime soon...

Edited by skipepsi
fat finger syndrome
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I read an article that Australia is making it easier for New Zealand citizens to get Australian citizenship. Do you think Russell Crowe will become Australian?

As long as they don't try it in little boats....

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/book-the-tickets-why-kiwis-are-looking-to-australia-20230423-p5d2kw.html

(And they need to realise that they've apparently got to fight it out with 32 million  clammering Brits if  the Daily Mail is an accurate paper)

Re Russell Crowe.

FRom GQ MAgazine, 2015: 

Russell Crowe claimed in an interview with Radio Times earlier this week that he's been twice rejected for Australian citizenship. The Australian Immigration Department responded a few days later by saying they had no official record of Crowe actually applying. Either way, as it stands, Rusty is existing in this world without the passport he truly deserves. 

The New Zealand born actor moved to Australia in 1968, and since that day has been proving he's more Australian than anybody. Here are six times Rusty was actually an Australian citizen in all but name. 

1. Rusty is a fierce Rabbitohs supporter

Australians like sport. Australians like Rugby League. So what did Rusty do? He bought the South Sydney Rabbitohs. But the club is not simply an asset for Crowe, who's a genuine fan of the game and his team, who won the grand final in 2014. 

2. He gives things a go

Can Russell sing? Not really. Did he see that as a barrier to playing a leading role in one of the biggest budget movie musicals of all time, Les Misérables? Not at all. And what's more Australian than just having a go?

3. He married an Australian

Crowe was married to Australian singer Danielle Spencer for nine years. You know who else marries Australians? That's right: other Australians. 

4. He made a film about the most Australian story of all time

Crowe's directorial debut saw him take one of Australia's most Aussie tales - Gallipoli. And sure, while the ANZAC legend includes New Zealanders, we know Russell is only really concerned with the 'A' in that acronym. 

5. His face was on Aussie stamps

The only other non-Australian to share this achievement is the Queen, 

6. Everyone just assumes he's Australian

Nichole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Margot Robbie, Russell Crowe. What do this group have in common? Why, they're all Australian actors of course. 

Russell –,  you just need to do a shoey at the Oscars and get a Ned Kelly tatt and you're in.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The (apparently very flawed) testing of some system to cause mobile phones to wail in a demented manner and transmit a text message (in English only).  

I received no such thing.  I had set my phone to "I am responsible for my safety not some bureaucrat or other unknown" mode.  I was on a bus filled with perhaps 50 people at the time the alert went off.  I thing three people received it and not at the same time - it was different by several minutes.  

[snip]

On the other hand if there ever were to be a national emergency so sudden and potentially catastrophic that it required activation of such a system then I might not be in a position to do anything more than the proverbial head-between-knees-and-kiss-my-ar$e-goodbye.  

I am very much with the sentiments posted here; but I doubt that receiving the message a minute or two later than someone else will be such an issue.  If it is really that critical then I suspect your goose would be well and truly cooked as you suggest.  In reality how will people react? 

Some will leave the area immediately.

Some will rush to get the kids and or pets before leaving.

Some will rush home to get important documents.

Many will just panic until told face to face to go down that street and keep going until someone else tells them to stop.

Much more worrying is the lack of warning message to millions of phone owners.  Frankly relying on 4G and 5G is a major oversight but is probably driven by the equally intellectually retarded decision to phase out 2G and 3G.   You simply will not get a signal in places like Kielder forest as you wander through, oblivious to the major fire just over the hill.

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Here the official advice in times of emergency,( fire and flood) is to have access to a battery powered AM radio tuned to the local ABC. It doesn't suffer from signal loss due to towers being damaged by said fire and flood and coverage is much more reliable. Also information is much more comprehensive than an SMS can contain.

They do send out a location targetted SMS at times of evacuation or shelter in place but this assumes everyone has a charged mobile phone on them or handy, and the time to stop and read an SMS, often not the case when you've lost power or  when you  are up on the roof hosing embers or sandbagging the front door. Having a radio on in the background is much more practical.

I struggle to think of an emergency that would need an instantaneous national out-of -the- blue red alert except a nuclear strike and if that was the case I reckon  I'd prefer not to know!

Ok, maybe a tsunami, but if that was what the warning was for you could bet the alert would just send half the population towards it so they could get selfies.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

You simply will not get a signal in places like Kielder forest as you wander through, oblivious to the major fire just over the hill.

I discovered here in 2019  that it is actually pretty easy to not be oblivious to the major fire just over the hill!

MVIMG_20191222_072031.jpg.d48060902c88af2a5edc77c1eb84033f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

54 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I discovered here in 2019  that it is actually pretty easy to not be oblivious to the major fire just over the hill!

I'm surprised there's not more yellow/brown colours. This was 2020 here:

image.png.e75c6008cbbf2023cf2e3b9657e77904.png

image.png.00dfa146662f18c2c2808f0e519c89b3.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm surprised there's not more yellow/brown colours. This was 2020 here:

image.png.e75c6008cbbf2023cf2e3b9657e77904.png

image.png.00dfa146662f18c2c2808f0e519c89b3.png

Perhaps  due to it being just on sunrise and the sun was right behind me? I wonder if eucalyptus causes a different colour smoke to pine?

Other photos with the sun up are maybe  more  as you'd expect..... That's the sun in both of them.

MVIMG_20191205_172647.jpg.f6617ff028c06c190ef3051173edb2c4.jpg

IMG_20191219_184311.jpg.0cc621967bfa8817e8cb7492baa1d320.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

I woke early this morning, made a cup of tea, put the washing on and have dealt with emails and am now catching up here.

It's very cold with a strong northerly wind driving showers in off the sea.  The washing is on and will be drying in the tumble dryer today.

Now for a shower and breakfast.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I have been instructed to tidy the lounge and hall as we are expecting a visitor after lunch. The lounge looks fine to me anyway but I will comply. The visitor is our bank manager. We don’t have a branch based account. These meetings have been via Zoom for the last couple of years, and during that time there have been 3 managers. 
One of Aditi’s French conversation group friends may drop in later this afternoon to leave some minutes for a meeting. Aditi’s friend doesn’t use email.

Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not much fuss from the arthritis/sciatica this morning but the hay fever was full strength this morning but has now lessened. Its probably pollen from a handful of trees that let off a cloud of pollen at different times.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Want to buy an island? https://www.galbraithgroup.com/property/cad170147-barlocco-island-borgue-kirkcudbright-dumfries-and-galloway-dg6-4ud/ No trees or buildings and you need a boat to get to it at high tide or a tractor/quad-bike at low tide. Looking at the map it might just be visible from Fraggle Rock, perhaps Neil can confirm.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6