The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well the overnight rain (I didn’t even know it had been raining) has stopped and the sun is fighting to show itself, but with a temperature of 8C it’s at least a little warmer than a couple of days ago. I shall shortly be setting off to collect Ava, who once again is spending the day here with us wrinkle's. Our first task will be to make a tray of rocky road, this is a request from Sheila, as we haven’t made it for some time! After that, I’m not sure what is on the agenda, although I think a film will be watched at some point in the afternoon. 

Must dash, back later. 

Brian

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And here I must energetically disagree with you, Chimpey. I think that the turning point was around between 1965 and 1970. Before 1965 you had this:

image.jpeg.623de9c122dc7a8aec01602360fbbf87.jpeg

or this

image.png.90d185b978d2c6a585e14f90d6c71604.png

After about 1965 you got this:

image.jpeg.32ab0e562aa0eb979d7c516426c53766.jpeg

and then things really went to pot with this:

image.jpeg.ac9b98ae0d9f8ab51079e8900c21f95f.jpeg

Which looks like the bastard offspring from a furtive Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz love-in.

At the more budget friendly end of the market, things got ugly real early - such as with this Ford

image.png.35903212cfc5c5f2ea48f46dd2d9d054.png
Sadly, even considerable wealth will no longer buy you a tastefully designed automobile - as this Bentley “Bentayga” (sic) shows:

image.jpeg.dc330ab73a07c3c5ec1d0440799f0dc8.jpeg

Fortunately, there are still a few British car manufacturers with taste - such as Morgan

image.jpeg.6ebeac62683b67e3969b4a27c564d1ed.jpeg

Although they suffer from being

• Expensive
  • Having a long waiting list
  • Best acquired when young enough to have the reflexes and agility to drive and get in/out of it

But for updated classic design, you can’t beat an Alvis (if you’re lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right amount of money [a lot]): https://thealviscarcompany.co.uk/#home-2

Alvis employed the great W O Bentley as designer after his company was grabbed by Rolls-Royce.* Alvis cars until the 1950's could be regarded as 'proper' Bentley's rather than a badge engineered Roller. *Rolls Royce saw Bentley as a competitor and moved in to take them over during a recession. Fortunately the company survived as a sporty Rolls Royce. Surprisingly at my brothers funeral the hearse was a Bentley Silver Spur, quite a new one on the same platform as the late queens official limousine.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The unmentionable on ER's item I won on E-bay has arrived. Very well packed, so well that its taken twenty minutes to unpack (preferable to it arriving in pieces). It looks good but I won't be able to test it until the week after next. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The unmentionable on ER's item I won on E-bay has arrived. Very well packe, so well that its taken twenty minutes to unpack (preferable to it arriving in pieces). It looks good but I won't be able to test it until the week after next. 

"The unmentionable on ER's item I won on E-bay has arrived" had me puzzled for a moment, knowing that eBay has many curious, unmentionable and ............ items on offer, then I realised you were referring to a clickity-clackety item, which relieved my mind no end!

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

This one comes with a Beary Health Warning - those of a nervous disposition (especially Big H) should not click on the following link.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65359036

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........................😭

You can't have your cake and heat it!

My commiserations.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

A drizzly morning here, quite misty and I can hear the harbour foghorn so I've not been far.

Yesterday had a bit of sun now and then but was mainly cloudy so I spent the morning at home.  I made a start on going through my clothes,  2 coats, a jacket, sweaters and shirts were sorted out to go. Some were only fit for the bin, the ones that were any good were separated and bagged up.  Then after my usual salad lunch, this time with tuna for a change, I drove into town, parked on the road near the shops and took two bags to a charity shop where they were quickly handed over.

After that I had a walk around the shops but almost managed to resist temptation.    I went into Boots and bought some Vitamin tablets as they were on offer and some skin moisturiser as I have very dry skin nowadays.   Then just before I reached the car I visited Poundstretchers and bought some more large plants pots and teabags, again on offer.  The car was only across the road from there so it wasn't far to carry things.

I went back home via the Quayside, no ships, just a few cormorants, gulls and ducks in the water.  Then I had a look at a very grey somewhat choppy sea before deciding that home was more attractive than doing any more walking.  Despite having got rid of some clothes I still need to throw out more of the things I never seem to wear - of course the day after they go I'll need something.

Later on I watched Melodien der Berge, an old one from in and around Salzburg which brought back happy memories of holidays - I recognised most of the places they showed, the music was good too - as long as you like German music.  Later I watched School for Scoundrels which was still as funny as last time I saw it - goodness knows how long ago that was.  I had been going to watch it on Thursday but the snooker overran so I'd recorded it.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Some were only fit for the bin,

I know a couple of the charity shops here also take clothes that are not resellable as clothes and sell them by weight as rags. Not all do though. Our tip or recycling centre as I think it is called now has a container for textiles for clothing that can’t be reused.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I know a couple of the charity shops here also take clothes that are not resellable as clothes and sell them by weight as rags. Not all do though. Our tip or recycling centre as I think it is called now has a container for textiles for clothing that can’t be reused.  

I've got some old clothes to go to the charity shop, mostly shirts but towels and bedsheets are always welcome at the local PDSA. and other animal charities.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The 70s may have given us great music and “free love” (a holdover from the 60s) but it also gave us polyester flares, The Captain & Tennille (“Muskrat Love” 🤮), The Winter of Discontent, s*h*a*g-pile carpets and avocado colour bathroom fittings….

They don't call it "The decade that taste forgot" for naught.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

I am enthusiastic about weather reports for next week. We are promised temperatures exceeding 70°F / 20°C for the first time in five months. I have tickets to see the tulip festival on Wednesday when such temperatures are promised.

By the end of the week they might flirt with 25°C. 

Still dreary today, but dry and slightly less cool than it has been - 14°C presently.

EDIT:

Warmed up more than I expected later in the afternoon with a little hazy sunshine - to about 18°C, so I opened the windows for the first time since last Autumn. The sun disappeared quickly and the temperature dropped but the idea of being able to open windows was nice.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Updated later
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Do love finding old treasures while out & about.

This section of road hasn't been the A22 since 1986-ish when it was bypassed. 

Just leave the sign in place - battered & all!

Picture1.jpg.c85bf1795feddd5142193f4dfa902707.jpg

This kind of stuff fascinates me! 

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today, in fact I've done sweet FA. If its not the aching joints its the hay fever. At least the predicted rain for tomorrow will keep the pollen low.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

That is amazing!

In Other News

Today has been mostly Beeza fettling and Pampas wrestling.

Great news (for me)!

There is new life in the old Beeza 😀

Out on the AJ tomorrow, the Beeza is not quite done yet 😂

TTFNQ

Yay, you did it!  Great job.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

No no no a 1000 times no. It would have looked like what Aussie car based utes became, before the US parent shut up shop here and started importing their oversized wannabe  trucks..

. Pedestrian friendlier, cooler looking and you can fit more in the back cos you don't need to take up half of it with the spare &*&b wheel!  ANd it has the supercharger fully ensconsed under the bonnet which puts out  130KW and 70 more Nm than that  Ford one does..

All our top environmentalists drive and recommend  these. 

Look, a bat ute!image.png.571e85b50134fe10c426ce7761ffb95d.png

I know you and your brethren like  like your super power  ute's but sometime you can get

carried away and over confident in there performance abilities .

Case in point , some years ago there was a UK Top Gear v Oz Top gear challenge , here is one round .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537FDgzGv2A

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

In other news.  

If anyone needs me between around 3 - 4pm tomorrow afternoon don't expect a swift reply.  I shall have all alerts and notifications disabled and the phone turned very firmly off. 

If I'm driving I don't want a fake alarm suddenly wailing at me and causing distraction.  Test your system by all means.  And accept that not everyone wants to be a part of that test.  Sometimes for perfectly good reasons of (in my case) road safety.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1