The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

It's caused by people wanting to look like rugged individualist  frontier-lovin  Good Ol Boys -  or Gangsta rappers.

The former. Definitely not the latter. The latter would be a gold-trimmed Cadillac Escalade.

Somewhat related, here's the current commercial for the electric Cadillac Lyriq.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

cars are far too big these days - period.

Try this on for size:

Jeep Gladiator - Exterior length: 218" / 18'2" /  5.54m

There's one or two of them in the neighbourhood.

The longest Ford F150 (dual cab, full-size bed*) is 250" / 20'10" / 6.35m

* I'm guessing.

Most of the people who buy these sorts of vehicles can't park them in their garages (they are too big) so they sit in the driveway (assuming the driveway is long enough).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

At one point one of the balls disappeared across the garage floor and I thought I'd lost it but luck was on my side.

My patience/mental health could not cope with ball bearings bouncing all over the floor in the middle of a complicated assembly.

LEGO bricks are challenging enough.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Funny 12

39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I get a Coolangatta vibe from it (particularly with the visible NSW plates) - the hill makes me think of Greenmount particularly with the stand of Norfolk Island Pines, so close to Kirra/Greenmount/Rainbow Bay would be my guess.

Impressive -   you are either Doris Stokes or you could go on  Mastermind with your special subject " Norfolk Island Pine  tree plantings  in mid 20th century Queensland" since the caption says it is

"Carpark at Greenmount Beach Coolangatta Queensland, 1950/60"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The former. Definitely not the latter. The latter would be a gold-trimmed Cadillac Escalade.

Somewhat related, here's the current commercial for the electric Cadillac Lyriq.

Although........ Pontiac did get 50-cent to launch the Holden Ute there as the Pontiac Street Truck in 2008.

A plan that never happened because of the global financial crisis or something.

image.png.371464b503cbbc51fd48183743f8abf2.png

Music artist 50-Cent introduced the 2010 Pontiac G8 Sport Truck at the New York Auto Show today, as well as other new Pontiacs, in New York. The sport truck combines the handling of a performance coupe with the cargo capabilities of a light truck. It provides both car-like fuel economy and a 0-to-60 time of 5.2 seconds. It can also carry a payload of more than 1,074 pounds. The sport truck is expected to arrive in dealer showrooms in late 2009.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Carpark at Greenmount Beach Coolangatta Queensland, 1950/60"

That would be right in Dad's wheelhouse. I imagine he would have recognized it right away. Around that time (shortly before he and mum were married) he was a life saver (on weekends) at Pacific SLSC up the road.

It's interesting to see so many cars there at that time. Rail services on the Tweed Heads branch (of the QR South Coast line) ceased in 1961. The main line to Southport was closed beyond Beenleigh in 1964.

I often holidayed on the Gold Coast in the 1970s and early 1980s, but didn't spend much time in the Coolangatta area, though we would drive down there from time to time.

I had to have a little think but my first instinct was that the hill was Greenmount with Kirra Hill to the left, and that the cars were close to the beach, rather than 'town' a couple of blocks away.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Pontiac did get 50-cent to launch the Holden Ute there as the Pontiac Street Truck in 2008.

I don't think that fared well - I don't even remember it.

People do remember the Chevy El Camino (a ute) fondly. Less so the Ford Ranchero

I believe I was upgraded to stay in the same hotel suite in San Jose right after 50-cent who had been in town for a concert. (It wasn't trashed in case anyone was wondering.)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't think that fared well - I don't even remember it.

People do remember the Chevy El Camino (a ute) fondly. Less so the Ford Ranchero

I believe I was upgraded to stay in the same hotel suite in San Jose right after 50-cent who had been in town for a concert. (It wasn't trashed in case anyone was wondering.)

From the internet....

General Motors’ timing couldn’t have been worse. Although the Global Financial Crisis began in mid-2007, the tentacles of its full impact – and a full-blown recession in the US – weren’t felt until 2008. No surprise then that GM pulled the pin on the G8 ST before it ever started.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've only just  got over my initial shock at being reminded of how colourful pre 1980's car parks were. Most older pics are in black and white so to see a colour image makes the  range of colour even more of a real surprise, especially given todays turgid choice of any  "colour as long as it is white or some shade of gunmetal/grey" world.

Metallic silver wasn't even an option until the 1970s. Dad's 1974 Kingswood HQ wagon had Holden's first generation metallic silver paint. It didn't hold up well over time and disintegrated in the sea air. It delaminated and faded into splotchy dark grey.

I get very tired of the white/silver/black/red palette that is ubiquitous now. (My car is blue.)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Silver metallic especially, and awful colour for a vehicle for use on public roads, only a mirror finish would blend into the background better, and capable of making a Bugatti look boring.  Yet a slightly darker variant in high gloss looks superb!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

…I think cars  designed  as  things of beauty to gaze on with joy took off in the twenties and thirties, went into a bit of a wartime slumber until the early 50s then really got going  through to the late 70s when it came to a shuddering halt up against  overall  80s hideousness.…

And here I must energetically disagree with you, Chimpey. I think that the turning point was around between 1965 and 1970. Before 1965 you had this:

image.jpeg.623de9c122dc7a8aec01602360fbbf87.jpeg

or this

image.png.90d185b978d2c6a585e14f90d6c71604.png

After about 1965 you got this:

image.jpeg.32ab0e562aa0eb979d7c516426c53766.jpeg

and then things really went to pot with this:

image.jpeg.ac9b98ae0d9f8ab51079e8900c21f95f.jpeg

Which looks like the bastard offspring from a furtive Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz love-in.

At the more budget friendly end of the market, things got ugly real early - such as with this Ford

image.png.35903212cfc5c5f2ea48f46dd2d9d054.png
Sadly, even considerable wealth will no longer buy you a tastefully designed automobile - as this Bentley “Bentayga” (sic) shows:

image.jpeg.dc330ab73a07c3c5ec1d0440799f0dc8.jpeg

Fortunately, there are still a few British car manufacturers with taste - such as Morgan

image.jpeg.6ebeac62683b67e3969b4a27c564d1ed.jpeg

Although they suffer from being

• Expensive
  • Having a long waiting list
  • Best acquired when young enough to have the reflexes and agility to drive and get in/out of it

But for updated classic design, you can’t beat an Alvis (if you’re lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right amount of money [a lot]): https://thealviscarcompany.co.uk/#home-2

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

.…I get very tired of the white/silver/black/red palette that is ubiquitous now. (My car is blue.)

I would tend to agree with you (although “official” cars - such as the Mayor’s car- should always be black). I’ve always thought that national car manufacturers should be required to offer their vehicles in the national racing colours, so:

• British Racing Green
  • French Racing Blue
  • Italian Racing Red
  • German Racing Silver (actually it should be just bare, polished, aluminium - but a decent metallic silver could be OK)

Shamefully, RR doesn’t offer British Racing Green as a paint option (both Bentley and Jaguar do offer BRG - but only on selected models)

TBH, I would love it if a car manufacturer would offer the same paint scheme that James Bond (in the early books) had for his rebuilt Bentley Blower - plain matt battleship grey (painted thus so Bond wouldn’t have to “fuss” over the car) See: https://www.librarypoint.org/blogs/post/bond-cars/

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

And here I must energetically disagree with you, Chimpey. I think that the turning point was around between 1965 and 1970. Before 1965 you had this:

image.jpeg.623de9c122dc7a8aec01602360fbbf87.jpeg

or this

image.png.90d185b978d2c6a585e14f90d6c71604.png

After about 1965 you got this:

image.jpeg.32ab0e562aa0eb979d7c516426c53766.jpeg

and then things really went to pot with this:

image.jpeg.ac9b98ae0d9f8ab51079e8900c21f95f.jpeg

Which looks like the bastard offspring from a furtive Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz love-in.

At the more budget friendly end of the market, things got ugly real early - such as with this Ford

image.png.35903212cfc5c5f2ea48f46dd2d9d054.png
Sadly, even considerable wealth will no longer buy you a tastefully designed automobile - as this Bentley “Bentayga” (sic) shows:

image.jpeg.dc330ab73a07c3c5ec1d0440799f0dc8.jpeg

Fortunately, there are still a few British car manufacturers with taste - such as Morgan

image.jpeg.6ebeac62683b67e3969b4a27c564d1ed.jpeg

Although they suffer from being

• Expensive
  • Having a long waiting list
  • Best acquired when young enough to have the reflexes and agility to drive and get in/out of it

But for updated classic design, you can’t beat an Alvis (if you’re lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right amount of money [a lot]): https://thealviscarcompany.co.uk/#home-2

I was thinking more man in the street stuff. The 70s cars that most people  here could buy were still pretty easy on the eye with their uncluttered flowing lines, whether Ford

image.png.4e02c87769967dd0606cd77256655355.png

Or Holden

image.png.48aea1203cb7d54f555e0ffd8b0241eb.png

The 80s just seemed to go downhill all of a sudden, I mean, this kind of thing might be cutting edge or clever  and so on but I struggle to see it as any kind of beauty or advance in auto design... 

image.png.ca0a7ee63ed59b957782fd37a5ca9d57.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

…The 80s just seemed to go downhill all of a sudden, I mean, this kind of thing might be cutting edge or clever  and so on but I struggle to see it as any kind of beauty or advance in auto design... 

image.png.ca0a7ee63ed59b957782fd37a5ca9d57.png

Eeek! (to quote @polybear)

What is it?

Was that an Australian design? If so, it’s up there with funnel web spiders, box jellyfish and the Eastern brown snake on the list of Scary Things of Australia

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I would love it if a car manufacturer would offer the same paint scheme that James Bond (in the early books) had for his rebuilt Bentley Blower - plain matt battleship grey

Grey is in for cars lately. There are many 'new' greys offered and some of them are very close to battleship grey.

Porsche has several. Graphite grey is very close. Their "chalk" colour disappears into fog. I was surprised how good it looks on the car.

Toyota has one called "lunar rock" that hints of sea green. It is darker on vehicles than online images.

image.png.5ee16f9ed7395e0eaf0205f7e7c8b084.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a damp Charente.  Nneedofor irrigation of the vegetable beds today. Talk to the girls first then tidying up as we have visitors tonight.  This afternoon I have the doubtful pleasure of delivering the presidential address to the Midland Railway Society AGM via Zoom.  I wonder how any participants will fall asleep.  However the research has been fun. 

Regards to all. 

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Eeek! (to quote @polybear)

What is it?

Was that an Australian design? If so, it’s up there with funnel web spiders, box jellyfish and the Eastern brown snake on the list of Scary Things of Australia

Can't blame us!

Although it does look a little like a Leyland P76 from some angles, It's actually the pinnicle of British automotive excellence if you believe the bulldust, though I see it's from 1976 not 1981 so I guess you win the argument!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The wedge Aston Martin lagonda iirc was renown for it having one of the first ever digital dashboards....

Never buy V 1.0 of anything, 

It often failed.

Also designed by the same man William Towns, the Hustler kit car..  based on a mini or Austin Morris 1100/1300

image.png.989a1ef187e989429db3ba15265ce16d.png

There was a six wheel version too

image.png.34135734bb5c3a391d98955f2971208e.png

About 500 were built of various types.

Mooring Awl,

4.5 hours sleep. 2.5 hours sleep, not too bad a total, would have been more but I awoke with cramp.

If at the NEC or Meadowhall shopping centre always remember the car park number!!!

Plans for today, investigate how the miece have eaten their way through previous attempts to stop them getting into the pantry. It might be I'm repairing that or furniture moving.

Time to patrol Ben the impatient Collie.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is British - the Aston Martin Lagonda - from the days of "the wedge" that brought the Ferrari Testarossa and the Lamborghini Countach*.

* How they thought a doorstop looked better than the elegant Miura I don't know.

Good grief! An Aston Martin?!

THE Aston Martin? The company that brought you the elegant DB2, DB5 and DBS?

What were they thinking of? 

The 70s may have given us great music and “free love” (a holdover from the 60s) but it also gave us polyster flares, The Captain & Tennille (“Muskrat Love” 🤮), The Winter of Discontent, s*h*a*g-pile carpets and avocado colour bathroom fittings….

Edited by iL Dottore
Can you believe it they censored sha g
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

@grandadbob appears to be missing. I just hope he and his family are OK.

I drove a UTE in Australia this year. Its owned by a mate. Not sure what sort but its like acreverse tardis. Big on the outside..  a tad tight on the inside. Due to his need to carry two large petrol cans around in the back (no petrol station on his 1 and a bit hours to and from work every day and irs love of drinking petrol for fun.. not as much space in the back. Great chunky tyres, and a turning circle akin toa super tanker. Those flashy car type UTEs look good, sound like the exhaust is wrecked but don't seem to have a lot of cab space.

As its Saturday its raining so a quick trip to a local cricket club is required to (hopefully) get a game in after the rain stops at 11am (met Office says this time will be achieved.. pah!)

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Apart from my 2 shopping trips, I’ve not done much today. Whilst at the Trafford Centre this morning, I called into Waterstones and had a look in the history section, I ended up buy a book called “The Traitor Of Colditz”, by Robert Verkaik and it’s about spies within the prisoners of Colditz. 

There's a scene in the film where a Polish Prisoner is suspected of being a stoolie and the Polish Prisoners are having a trial - they were all lined up to hang him.  The Germans got him out of there PDQ IIRC; there was a suggestion that the Germans "had got" his Family and were threatening to hurt them if he didn't play ball.

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

You are however spot on the exorbitant charges for car parking.    If councils want to attract people to use the town centres before they die completely, it's simple; don't charge people to go there!     And as for charging for parking at hospitals .....  don't get me started because that would be one humongous rant!

Just for the avoidance of doubt here's the charges for Pupper's "favourite" Hospital (Bear has been known to frequent it as well - though I always steer well clear of the car park)......

20 minutes drop-off and pick-up  Free-of-charge

20 minutes to 1 hour   £3.70

1 to 2 hours  £5.10

2 to 3 hours  £7.20

3 to 4 hours  £7.70

4 to 5 hours  £8.30

5 to 6 hours  £9.10

6 to 24 hours  £10.20

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

Excellent.   Just a shame we've got to pay for their accommodation.

I believe that in the U.S. (in some states at least) the prisoners get the bill once they are released.  Seems like a mighty good idea to me.

48 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@grandadbob appears to be missing. I just hope he and his family are OK.

Bear was thinking the very same; we also haven't had a visit from @andyram lately either.

Bear here....

Today sees some more leccy work in the H/S/L to start with, followed by MIUABGAD.

Bear gone.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

So I guess the answer is "Not really but I've learned a lot of other stuff about cars!"

My reply mentioning how pleased my neighbours were with their Fiat 500 did get a bit lost among the nostalgia!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning, from a very wet rock. 8c and persisting down.

I once lost our car in the Metro Centre in Tyneside, I always parked in the same-ish place, in the yellow carpark area.  Just this one day we had come from elsewhere and......eventually remembered it was in the blue.  D'oh.  Apparently the security staff there have a steady trail of folk complaining of 'stolen' cars.  Hardly ever are stolen of course.

Not sure what the day will bring, Mrs NHN is off being Pilated, I normally go for a walk then but it would need an aqualung today.  Lunch may not be al fresco.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Aditi’s brother told me he has ordered a new VW to replace his elderly Golf estate. It is actually being marketed as a “shooting brake” which I always associate with terms like station wagon from novels set in the 1930s. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1