The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Nurses have to pay for their training and as I understand it provide free labour during training.  It is not set up as an apprentice scheme.

Doctors as I understand it also pay for their education and training.  The politics behind this I will leave well alone..

With the 'loan' system currently in place the above statement is probably true but there again a few years ago  it was deemed that 50% of children would go to uni that in turn made it uneconomic for county councils to fund scholarships ... hence the current system where public school trainees pay less than school fees and everybody else has to spend a lifetime paying back the 'loan'.  Not sure if this is a rant and hope not political.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Rugby watched and enjoyed last night, another match today.

There is another ‘interesting’ match today that isn’t televised.  
I’ll say no more.  🦅🦅🦅

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes Warren, it's a must win situation for Quins if they are to keep any of the faint chance they have  of making the play-offs.   As they seem to keep shooting themselves in the foot I'm not holding my breath but of course live in hope.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

With the 'loan' system currently in place the above statement is probably true but there again a few years ago  it was deemed that 50% of children would go to uni that in turn made it uneconomic for county councils to fund scholarships ... hence the current system where public school trainees pay less than school fees and everybody else has to spend a lifetime paying back the 'loan'.  Not sure if this is a rant and hope not political.

Not only that, we've somehow ended up as a country where everyone has a degree but completely reliant on people from overseas for skilled workers. Which wouldn't have surprised anyone who considered that a high level of education is not necessarily the same as having useful skills or knowledge of use to employers.

• Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

On American cars, I did enjoy the driving experience of a big lump with immense torque mated to an auto box on older models. They weren't especially fast (well, they could be brutal in a straight line but didn't like corners) and certainly not fuel efficient but hugely enjoyable. And the engine notes were wonderful on some of them, I've never liked the high pitched screech of high revving European and Asian high performance engines, the low rumble in which you can hear the firing order of US Vee-block engines is much nicer.

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday morning, I ordered a book from Amazon. Free standard delivery, it would be with me Monday. Fine, I thought.

Yesterday evening an email from Amazon. The book had been dispatched and would be with me on Sunday. Ok, I thought.

This morning, about elevenish, another email. The book would be delivered today. ***********, I thought.

Now I have to stay in as otherwise the delivery operative will leave it propped up against the front door, clearly visible to any light-fingered passerby.....

Update.

Doobell rung. I got to the door to see the packet propped up against the step and the back of the Amazon van disappearing around the corner. They didn't know/care if anyone was in to retrieve it.  Just ring the bell and run away.....

Edited by Hroth
Update rant.
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Nurses have to pay for their training and as I understand it provide free labour during training.  It is not set up as an apprentice scheme.

Doctors as I understand it also pay for their education and training.  The politics behind this I will leave well alone..

One of the nurses treating me was on an apprenticeship scheme. Seemed like a much better deal even if it takes a bit longer.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

You don't need a SUV if you've got one of these 😄

scan0010.jpg.270fe286e864e5b41006874a02a07c89.jpg

'76 Chevy "Impaler".  Eight by four sheets of plywood slide right in.

Also available as a Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile.

(The bike and trike were imported from Scotland courtesy of ITT.)

All 3 manufacturers here offered wagon versions, the mightiest was the Chrysler Valiant of 1977/78.  This thing was huge and likewise had motors to match, up to I think 365cu inch. Came in great colours like bright orange, mustard and purple.  A pair of visiting US guys saw one in the carpark at work a few years ago and even they were impressed by its size.

image.png.c40ae0bfafd31ac17e263b4fea1d9db9.png

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On American cars, I did enjoy the driving experience of a big lump with immense torque mated to an auto box on older models. They weren't especially fast (well, they could be brutal in a straight line but didn't like corners) and certainly not fuel efficient but hugely enjoyable. And the engine notes were wonderful on some of them, I've never liked the high pitched screech of high revving European and Asian high performance engines, the low rumble in which you can hear the firing order of US Vee-block engines is much nicer.

Same for me! The ute is 6 litres (366 cu inches) with a 4 inch dual cat back exhaust, sounds mighty, especially on the overrun when you lift off the accelerator. Random strangers  have  congratulated me on its sound when parking on occasion!

PXL_20210403_002116587.jpg.abbad392e68f3816d3e2b1ce836817cf.jpg

In contrast there is a Ferrari that tears up the hill that I overlook here, he gives it everything as the speed limit increases to 100kmh, sets my teeth on edge with the screamy angry blowfly like noise.

Performance wise,  the thing that the ute and other newer V8s have that older V8s didn't is traction control. In the old days you couldn't do too much damage when you planted your foot because most of the power went into shredding the tyres, but these days do the same thing and things a long way away are suddenly much closer!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, 45156 said:

the problem that we now have more income being paid lunar monthly, than calendar monthly

Other than some faiths (like Abrahamic and Asian religions) who does anything based on a lunar* calendar?

I've never heard of that. Weekly and biweekly I've heard of.

* The moon and menses aside.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Other than some faiths (like Abrahamic and Asian religions) who does anything based on a lunar* calendar?

I've never heard of that. Weekly and biweekly I've heard of.

* The moon and menses aside.

HM Pensions service for one.  I get 13 payments per year - and potentially could receive 14.

In France, there is a whole gardening "religion" based on phases of the moon and its impact on moisture in the soil. 

This is the time to sow seeds.  This is the time to transplant.  This is the time to pant out - and so on.

https://uk.rhythmofnature.net/gardener-calendar

Not just France it seems.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

As forecast today is dry and "not as nice as yesterday". It is indeed dry and very dreary with a heavy overcast.

I stopped by the high school (now that there are no students). The cherry blossoms are still there, but falling - it looked like snow flurries at times. They were also bouncing around in the breeze. The dim light and breeze made them difficult to photograph with my telephone. These were nice and stationary:

image.png.7900c573f394e618cc436db93853e4d7.png

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Andy Hayter said:

In France, there is a whole gardening "religion" based on phases of the moon and its impact on moisture in the soil. 

This is not surprising. There are many things in the natural world that respond to the moon.

What is surprising to me is why H.M. Pensions would use a lunar calendar - unless it is essentially "every four weeks" (which is subtly different from a lunar cycle of 29.5 days).

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Grizz said:

Anyway……more importantly a few questions for Bear.

How did you end up with only Jaffa Cakes? Seriously? 

How have your stocks of LDC and other ‘Cakey’ treats run out? Surely there are safety checks, set out in clearly defined  processes and procedures? Who is responsible for your LDC security? Are they external contractors? Can you be sure that it wasn’t an inside job? Do you now or have you ever suffered from Sleep Eating? 

Were you burglarised and criminally relieved of your LDC? (I ask this because I don’t see any locks or any other form of security on your designated storage container).

Do we need to set up a Bear LDC Disaster Relief concert? With the money raised going to ensure that this deplorable state of affairs can never be repeated?  

Yep, only Jaffa Cakes....

How did it happen?  Good question - it seems Bear's Purchasing Dept. may have failed to keep pace with the Consumptions Department.  Turdycurses.

The Disaster Relief Concert sounds a fine idea, incidentally...... @iL Dottore on Guitar, @PupCam on trumpet, @southern42 on Flute.....

Could be a 'Tube sensation

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Now I have to stay in as otherwise the delivery operative will leave it propped up against the front door, clearly visible to any light-fingered passerby.....

Update.

Doobell rung. I got to the door to see the packet propped up against the step and the back of the Amazon van disappearing around the corner. They didn't know/care if anyone was in to retrieve it.  Just ring the bell and run away.....

A common occurrence at Bear Towers, sadly

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Isn't it a beauty! No, not mine, the family that owned it (cos it is big enough to be counted as a possession) had it in their house for about a year to see how big it would get.

Leave it in their house??  Bvgger that

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This is my best offering, a pale imitator.............The little pranksters. 

Other words are available.........

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I've inspected the car we've gained, a Peugeot 107

Not bad cars - twenty quid road tax, oodles to the gallon.

Bear here......

The first coat of paint on the upper (= biggest) sections of the H/S/L walls is now on; a few of the seams are a bit disappointing - but I have a cunning plan to improve them.  Hopefully.

After than it was a visit to the Co-op - interim cake supplies have been replenished, though I really want a visit to Lidl to do a proper "prep for Armageddon" replenishment.

In other news.....

I see that three more Horses have died at the Grand National.  There is most definitely a Rant there. 🤬

I also note that the next 48 hour Nurses strike in May is to include Emergency Care, ITU and Cancer Care; whatever the rights and wrongs of the whole situation is, this Bear can't help but feel that affecting those areas is a step too far.  I'll leave it there.

Bear gone.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

A nice chug over to the motorcycle emporium in Woburn from Puppershire this morning with my neighbour.     Not the best of weather, it was right nippy when we first got there.    Coffee was consumed but I managed to resist the temptation of a bacon butty - quite how I know not!   Met up with some mates and a good collection of proper (ie old) bikes.  I was invited by one chap to join a bunch of them who were just about to go for a run over to Old Warden although I had to decline the kind offer on this occasion.   We nosed around the new offerings in the showroom but Puppers had to support his chin.     It was scraping along the floor when he saw some of the prices ~ £22.5K for a couple of machines !!    I don't think so although I suspect I'm out of touch with reality.

Anyway,  tomorrow morning sees another bimble.  I suspect it might turn into a chug to seek out breakfast - well resisting food two days running isn't going to happen is it!

Night All!

• Like 15