The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We have had 2 days in a row that may have hit 30 C, but there was a call for snow in the next week.

We have decided to sell the motorhome.  Problem is finding a dealer to take it. It is a 2007 model.

One local dealer came to look at it today -- motorcycled from the opposite corner of the city. He was really pleasant and informative. But we have some delamination in both sidewalls and most dealers won't touch it. We may have to sell privately and we've never done anything like that before.

• Friendly/supportive 13

Morning All,

Couldnt sleep so just breakfast. 
Bil and family due back from their holidays yesterday so probably going to have Sydney today so hopefully he’ll brighten things up here. He’s a bubbly little character and always looking for fun  whereas Hovis is much move reserved. 
Back to bed to try for some more sleep.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In my opinion only, SUV's have sent the world to hell in a hand basket. It wasn't that long ago (coincidently  just before automakers discovered the "SUV") when the standard  family car could do anything, go anywhere here. We were a land of dirt roads up until the early '80's ,didn't stop the standard-car-eqiuipped mum dad and the kids experiencing most of what the country has to offer, and usually towing a 20ft caravan to boot.

You don't need a SUV if you've got one of these 😄

scan0010.jpg.270fe286e864e5b41006874a02a07c89.jpg

'76 Chevy "Impaler".  Eight by four sheets of plywood slide right in.

Also available as a Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile.

(The bike and trike were imported from Scotland courtesy of ITT.)

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My first 35mm camera was a Zenit-E.

My first enlarger was a Zenit.  It dismantled and packed into its own base which made a neat carrying case.  It was relatively cheap, as you would expect from zenit, but did a perfectly good job.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Evening, Awl.

Isn't the door way of a cupboard the entrance to Narnia, where iirc there are rather magnificent talking poly  polar Bears.

Good guess - but that's under the stairs.....

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

A safe  secure home for 8-legged Terry?

image.png.a52b946f629e03b2ef0b0bb0bb8c22fd.png

F. THAT 😱

Is that on the wall of Chateau Chimpy?

I'll say one thing about working for the NHS:  They don't have killer spiders, snakes, croc, sharks and plants just waiting to snuff you out.

3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We have decided to sell the motorhome.  Problem is finding a dealer to take it. It is a 2007 model.

One local dealer came to look at it today -- motorcycled from the opposite corner of the city. He was really pleasant and informative. But we have some delamination in both sidewalls and most dealers won't touch it. We may have to sell privately and we've never done anything like that before.

I'd suggest reading up on tips to avoid being scammed, most of which are obvious anyway, such as:

• They don't go test driving alone....
  • Make sure that payment really has cleared before releasing the vehicle.
  • If they want a test drive then make sure they have fully comprehensive insurance - or whatever the US/Canadian equivalent is.

etc.

11 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Is the hatchback door an optional extra?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

And the answer to the quiz is......

image.png.007d5eba585f6282cb92f0579b7a0af2.png

.....it's Bear's Front-Line Ready-Use Cake Locker.....

...and it's totally bereft of Cake 😱 😭😭

If it wasn't for the Emergency Jaffa Cake Rations I'd really be in trouble.  How on earth did it come to this??

Bear here......

Today sees Bear danglin' on a paint roller.  Yippee.  My only real concern is how well (or not) the joints between the wallpaper drops will be disguised - I have some concerns (not that I can do much about them now though).  We'll see - or hopefully not, if you get my drift.

Yesterday's antics involving the cutting-in has provoked the Paw into complaining slightly, so I'll have to be wary of that one.

Bear gone.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, BoD said:

My first enlarger was a Zenit.  It dismantled and packed into its own base which made a neat carrying case.  It was relatively cheap, as you would expect from zenit, but did a perfectly good job.

I had one of those, fine until the foam padding inside the base turned into sticky goo and attached itself to the enlarger components!  I've not done any 35mm/120 photography for years, though I've still got the replacement colour head Meopta enlarger and the rest of the kit stored away.  I'd set it up again, but that would mean building a darkroom, which would encroach into railway modelling time and space...

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

'76 Chevy "Impaler".  Eight by four sheets of plywood slide right in.

Also available as a Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile.

(The bike and trike were imported from Scotland courtesy of ITT.)

I had one of those when I was in the US (inherited from the wrinklies) - the model I drove had a “big block” engine (don’t remember how many cubic inches) - definitely a “wolf in sheep’s clothing” A thirsty beast, but back then gas (petrol) was about 60¢ a gallon. After the station wagon I acquired an ex police (unmarked) Plymouth Fury…. Another “wolf in sheep’s clothing”

An interesting aside: when I was being trained as a paramedic (so about 1976) and was going through the heavy rescue part of our training, we were told (and shown) how to “open up” a car to get to the people inside. At that time, if the car was built before about 1970 - you’d frequently need power tools to open it up; built after about 1970 then often all you’d need to get in was a modified truck leaf spring and a heavy ball peen hammer.

Nowadays? In many cases a good Swiss Army knife might be sufficient….

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is the hatchback door an optional extra?

Comes standard. It's an electric "clamshell". Turn the key one way and the glass retracts into the roof. Turn the key the other way and the tailgate retracts under the floor.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I had one of those when I was in the US (inherited from the wrinklies) - the model I drove had a “big block” engine (don’t remember how many cubic inches) - definitely a “wolf in sheep’s clothing” A thirsty beast, but back then gas (petrol) was about 60¢ a gallon. After the station wagon I acquired an ex police (unmarked) Plymouth Fury…. Another “wolf in sheep’s clothing”

An interesting aside: when I was being trained as a paramedic (so about 1976) and was going through the heavy rescue part of our training, we were told (and shown) how to “open up” a car to get to the people inside. At that time, if the car was built before about 1970 - you’d frequently need power tools to open it up; built after about 1970 then often all you’d need to get in was a modified truck leaf spring and a heavy ball peen hammer.

Nowadays? In many cases a good Swiss Army knife might be sufficient….

That one only had the "little" 350 cu in. You could also get 400 and 450 (7.4L) engines.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That one only had the "little" 350 cu in. You could also get 400 and 450 (7.4L) engines.

I think mine had the 450 cubic inch engine.

As I said, a thirsty beast but with plenty of grunt…

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Ten days at RobinHoods Bay has taken its toll.

Is there still a hotel across the bay at (IIRC) Ravenscar? Was there about 60 years ago. I might still have part of an amonite I found on the beach.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

4.5 hours plus several bits of sleep not too good.

The heavy overnight rain has cleared, but everything is still dripping wet. Ben the mooching about Collie didn't seem enthusiastic about anything, he just plodded about having the occasional snuffle.

The daffs are definitely loosing their heads now, vast quantities have lost their petals. The plum tree has come into flower.

Plans for today

Going via an untraceable money issuing machine, to watch lots of electrically powered machines going round and round or up and down horizontal parallel bits of metal. Thing may fall into a bag to be sneaked in later..

DIY shed after for more items for hallway refurb.

First.

Time for muggacoffee..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Grey sky but dry although showers and sunny spells are forecast.  7°C now, might get up to 15°C.

I had a good night's sleep but woke up with a headache which is slowly easing.  

Rugby watched and enjoyed last night, another match today.

Today's plans also include assistance with domestic engineering tasks that are "essential, the house is a tip" * due to immediate family visiting tomorrow to celebrate Steve's birthday. 

*I've said it before, no the house is not a tip, it  wouldn't dare!!  If I use that bl##dy Shark much more I'll wear it out! 

And breathe.

Time for my porridge and coffee and then I might,  just might,  comply with Management's requests otherwise I suspect the headache will doubtless return.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Friendly/supportive 18

Morning All from the Deep South of East Sussex

At last it has stopped F ing raining here, at least until tomorrow anyway. 

Weirdly it feels like a Sunday today, probably because we had such a great night out at The John Harvey Tavern in Lewes last night. Entertained by the excellent Burny’s Big Beavers, a group of talented local boys. 

https://youtube.com/@burnysbigbeavers

Their rendition of John Lee Hooker’s ‘Boom Boom’ is my personal favourite. 

Anyway……more importantly a few questions for Bear.

How did you end up with only Jaffa Cakes? Seriously? 

How have your stocks of LDC and other ‘Cakey’ treats run out? Surely there are safety checks, set out in clearly defined  processes and procedures? Who is responsible for your LDC security? Are they external contractors? Can you be sure that it wasn’t an inside job? Do you now or have you ever suffered from Sleep Eating? 

Were you burglarised and criminally relieved of your LDC? (I ask this because I don’t see any locks or any other form of security on your designated storage container).

Do we need to set up a Bear LDC Disaster Relief concert? With the money raised going to ensure that this deplorable state of affairs can never be repeated?  

This needs thoroughly investigating. These and other questions need urgent answers. Perhaps this atrocity is as a result of shortages in supply of LDC, possibly caused by localised panic buying and stock piling, set in motion by a ruthless, well funded and expertly organised social media campaign, orchestrated by a super villain…..? ……….Mmmmmmmm….now I wonder who might fit the role of leader for just such a diabolical campaign? 

…..just saying…

Have a great day all. 

ATB Grizz

Edited by Grizz
Poxy auto correct
  • Like 7
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We will be returning to Enfield today for MiL’s birthday celebration. Aditi finished (making not eating) the birthday cake last night. 
I had an NHS app message this morning inviting me to book my next Covid jab. Going on Monday morning at a local pharmacy. 
Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Someone has turned the tap off and the light on outside, what a difference to yesterday! 

As it’s Saturday, I will shortly be setting off to collect Ava, who once again is spending the day here with us. When I went shopping yesterday I bought some buttermilk, so this morning Ava and I will be making some almond scones, some of which will be consumed after tea tonight! So, that’s the morning sorted, I’m not sure what is planned for the afternoon, most likely a film will be watched. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2023 at 08:31, polybear said:

Perhaps if the NHS were to start applying a system such as many Airlines do to Pilots trained by them - if you leave within X years then you have to pay a rather large sum to them to cover costs of training etc.

Of course that probably won't help training recruitment.

Not sure if NHS still does but in terms of removal expenses to a new position a minimum time in post was required to avoid having to pay back the said expenses.

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1