The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Dave, do you mean the English colonists*? Or their 19th century descendants on the great plains?

* Starting more or less with King Philip's war in 1675.

The history of European colonization (by whichever European power) - wherever in the world: Ireland, the Americas, Australia, Africa**, etc is fraught with such tragic examples.

** not intended to be a comprehensive list. I haven't forgotten Asia.

There's this oldie (allegedly) as well.

I don't think that the behaviour of the American government, army and westward migrants in the 1850s - 1880s can be directly blamed on English colonists.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

the fear that the British Government was determined to place limits on westward expansion ...

And had already done so with the Proclamation of 1763 in the wake of the Seven Years War.

It is, in my opinion, the singularly most significant reason that the southern states joined the rebellion. New Englanders were never fans of the monarchy from the outset.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

11 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I note the shaded areas on your post.....

I didn't shade them Neil. It's from the linked Wikipedia page. The shading designates "territories, and countries not included in the IMF report".

My apologies for any unintended confusion.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:
28 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I assume like everything else there's some constitutional reason behind it

Random breath testing is (universally?) illegal in the US. "Probable cause" is required - which is Amendment IV of the Bill of Rights.

Likewise in the UK.  There must be "Reasonable suspicion that an offence has been or is about to be committed" before a breath (and / or drug) test may be administered.  

In Australia, however, anyone anywhere is fair game.  Random stop-and-test applies in all states and territories.  The booze bus is often parked just around a corner out of sight until you cannot avoid passing it; try to avoid and the traffic car will be onto you in no time.  And they bleat about a lack of advance warnings for speed traps being "un-Australian" ....... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 12

In the last 30 minutes we have had a heavy snow shower on the mountains across the inlet from us, then a couple of thunderclaps, then a short but heavy sleet shower at the house and now brilliant sunshine lighting up the new snow on the mountains.

I wonder what’s next?

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, pH said:

I wonder what’s next?

I'm happy to report that the rain (an atmospheric river aka pineapple express) has stopped after raining continuously for well over 24 hours. We've actually reached a surplus for the 'rain year' after being behind for months.

Northbound I5 between Portland and Seattle was completely cut off for about four hours yesterday after a landslide covered all the travel lanes.

Happily Detroit Lake (in the Cascades, providing water for Salem and the central Willamette Valley, and was quite low) filled up 10' in the last week or so.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

apologies for any unintended confusion.

I should imagine many of my friends in Ireland would like to get anywhere near the per capita income for their country in that table.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I should imagine many of my friends in Ireland would like to get anywhere near the per capita income for their country in that table.  

Indeed. The page does (accurately) note that "GDP per capita is not a measure of personal income".

I imagine corporations listed as being headquartered in Eire per "Celtic Tiger" strategies are the cause of the Republic being so high on the list.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It seems to have taken ages to get here, I've no idea where the evening went.  Despite the damp weather Arthur Itis is quiet but Nurofen has been taken. Busy week this week so not much time to spare.

• Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I feel for the people of the Cayman Islands. A population of 68,000  has 117,000 registered companies - when do the poor bu99ers get a chance to sleep?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The most international news coverage tends to be in small countries, partly because there isn't that much to report at home and partly because they are often worried about what the neighbors are doing. Even then it tends to be regional, so in Singapore the news tends to be about the ASEAN region, and especially Malaysia and Indonesia.

The USA is an exception in terms of the news overseas as it is probably the one country about which domestic affairs and politics are widely reported globally. Which has an effect that many people have an opinion of the USA in a way they don't about other countries for the simple reason that as you expand beyond the neighbors few really know much about any other countries.

I find there is a deeper parochialism in the news. The obvious level is the parrot stretch, or the old line along 'tsunami in Indonesia kills thousands, no xxxx involved'. That level is pretty obvious, and most foreign news isn't reported for the simple reason few are interested. However a more subtle and perhaps more consequential parochialism is that foreign news which makes the cut tends to be reported in the context of local politics, commercial interests and social values which gives a very distorted impression of other countries.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Just received this base-wide email:

ALL STAFF,

Be advised a red belly black snake was spotted slithering under one of the parked cars  at Medical/Dental.

It would be prudent to traverse the area with caution.

I like how they don't tell us which car - snake roulette!

At least medical assistance is close at hand..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

38 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Completely irrelevant of course, but a white-tail deer just hopped our fence and is now grazing on what I loosely refer to as our lawn.

I saw a coyote crossing the street in a neighbourhood near the high school the other day - I had never seen one locally before. Deer yes, but not coyotes. It was relatively close to me and we ignored each other.

Today a sign appeared at the entry to a creekside trail in a park >1km away (as the crow flies) inscribed with "You are entering coyote habitat" or some such thing. I was thinking that, at this point, the whole area is now coyote habitat, not just the creek.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1