The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mornin, 8 whole C and windy to boot.  Pah.

Housework/washing this morning, then trip to the library.  It's all go here you know.

On 9/11 I sat in my office and one of girls called me through as her hubby had called to say something was happening.  We put the radio on, I wondered if we were witnessing the start of WW3.  Now here we are again....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Another poignant name in the 9/11 story is John O'Neill who headed up FBI counter-terrorism operations and was starting his job as head of security for the WTC on 9/11. By all accounts he was a bit of a rogue but also a bulldog in going after Al Qaeda.

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and sunny start to the day here in England's northwest corner, at 5C it's quite cool outside. Why wasn't it like this yesterday when I was cleaning the drive? 

Anyway, back to today, my first task is to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix as we're running low on some food stuffs. After that, I'm hoping to get another couple of hours of the computer playing with Inkscape. 

Back later 

Brian 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A few twinges from Arthur Itis this morning but the Nurofen has dealt with that. My shopping trip yesterday was a waste of time, no bread and eggs and the milk wasn't the type I usually use, that means I have to go out again today. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

There's another French phrase that seems to be gaining in popularity in blighty when referring to Macron.........................................."cheese eating surrender monkey".............can't think what they mean............................😇

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

A sunny morning here but the wind is very cold.

Yesterday started fine but I didn't go out to look at steamy things as the forecast was poor - and it was right.  I would have just got there when the rain started.  Instead I did the hiousework, washing and drying.

I did a little bit of shopping and then went to the park for a walk in the morning sun which was very enjoyable.  The leaves are beginning to appear on some trees, the primulas are flowering well and the childrens play area had the water features turned on.  There was hardly anyone about though.   Once again I was back home in time for coffee and then continued sorting out photos to put in my photo thread.  I had a break for lunch and tea and managed to finish Sunday's chicken.  While doing things with photos I took the opportunity to tidy up a number of folders on the PC and the back up hard drives so things ought to be easier to find in future.

Then it was time for a nice relaxing evening with a glass of wine, music and TV.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Very long day yesterday. Up at "bloomingeckitsearly" o'clock to drive to York. Journey went well.. from Sleights to York North Yorkshire police had 3 camera vans in place.. before 8am. Iknow money is tight.. but.. as they are no longer brightly coloured to help to deter speeding Motorists Mr cynical here says its a cheap way of gaining dosh with little real policing going on.

The RAC website reported this on 5th April:

Drivers are being warned about a new generation of 'stealth' speed camera vans, which could be rolled out across the UK in the near future.

Unlike the traditional police vans seen on roads and laybys, these new matt grey vehicles are harder to recognise for drivers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Unlike the traditional police vans seen on roads and laybys, these new matt grey vehicles are harder to recognise for drivers.

They tend to be in areas where large circular signs with numbers on are a bit of a clue though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, polybear said:

The RAC website reported this on 5th April:

Drivers are being warned about a new generation of 'stealth' speed camera vans, which could be rolled out across the UK in the near future.

In NSW initially speed camera vehicles had to place a sign about 100m in  each direction from  where they were parked warning they were up ahead  so we had enough time to slow down to legal speeds if necessary. Then about 12 months ago the signs were removed so we didn't know when they were around.

Mass outcry,  culminating in the NSW government being  accused of being Un-Australian which nobody here wants  to be thought of as  so they've apologised and  replaced the signs again.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I was in Abu Qir, outside Alexandria on 9/11. Something I have to say is that many Egyptian's went out of their way to approach me to express their horror, I guess as a white person they thought I might be American. I remember seeing some media stories about celebrations in Egypt as fans of AQ went delirious, I'm sure there were examples of that happening but from what I could see such people were not representative of Egypt as a whole and whatever people thought about the Western world I got the impression most people were disgusted at what had been done in the name of their faith.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Cheswday...

Yesterday, not a lot happening, Whitney dropped off as Jemma and Brendan are off to Mexico today for a vacation with friends.

We FINALLY emptied the last of the stuff in the storage unit and it's due to be picked up tomorrow - get the full use of the driveway back - YAY!!

Today, slow and little planned, Whitney will get a walk given the weather is now SUMMER!!! 

10c and sunny first thing, heading for a high of 25c and no rain forecast.

Onward.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

There's another French phrase that seems to be gaining in popularity in blighty when referring to Macron.........................................."cheese eating surrender monkey".............can't think what they mean............................😇

Is that similar to your former FM being known as the first numpty. 

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In NSW initially speed camera vehicles had to place a sign about 100m in  each direction from  where they were parked warning they were up ahead  so we had enough time to slow down to legal speeds if necessary. Then about 12 months ago the signs were removed so we didn't know when they were around.

Mass outcry,  culminating in the NSW government being  accused of being Un-Australian which nobody here wants  to be thought of as  so they've apologised and  replaced the signs again.

The typical range of a Mobile Camera Van Speed Gun is in the region of at least 1 mile on a straight road, so if you're givin' it some at the 100m mark the ink on the ticket is already dry.

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Memories of 9/11..

I was in Scotland doing EFQM audits. I arrived at my hotel..right by the forth road bridge. It was full of very stunned Americans.

I passed on commiserations for those lost, injured or affected by what had happened. 

One of the visitors said "You limeys don't know grief like this" my response was... we have suffered terrorist attacks for a long time.. never heard much in the way of commiserations from the Yanks... not nice but  it is still a very sore point... my missus to be only just missed being murdered by the the pub bomb in Birmingham.. ....

Baz

Bear recalls the TV Reports following the Hyde Park Bombing:

"Fifteen mounted soldiers of the Household Cavalry were in Hyde Park on their way to change the guard near Buckingham Palace when a remote-controlled car bomb was detonated, blasting them with nails and other shrapnel.

Four men and seven horses were killed, and many more were injured. Remarkably, some of the soldiers who survived the attack were back on duty just three days later, and horses that suffered terrible injuries lived to old age."

There were numerous interviews with American Tourists (amongst others) in London at the time, who expressed their horror at what had happened and they were completely oblivious to what was going on in the UK.  I suspect it didn't do much to halt the provision of funds to those responsible though.  There could be a Rant there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

One of the visitors said "You limeys don't know grief like this" my response was... we have suffered terrorist attacks for a long time.. never heard much in the way of commiserations from the Yanks... not nice but  it is still a very sore point... my missus to be only just missed being murdered by the the pub bomb in Birmingham.. ....

While still living in the UK in the 1970s, one of my bosses was an American. He was not a great fan of the American way of life (one of the reasons he was living in the UK) but he did offer a defence of attitudes like that. Remember, this was before the internet, when people got their news through newspapers, network TV and local radio. He said US media were very parochial, much more than British media. Most of the news was about things happening in the US. Foreign news was usually only reported if Americans or American interests were involved, and always from a strongly US point of view. Events not involving Americans rarely made the news; neither did non-American points of view. My boss said many Americans were (he meant it genuinely, not in a disparaging way) ignorant of what was happening outside the USA.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

The typical range of a Mobile Camera Van Speed Gun is in the region of at least 1 mile on a straight road, so if you're givin' it some at the 100m mark the ink on the ticket is already dry.

As the original Top Gear found out if your are travelling at more than 170mph, the cameras don't work, just don't ask me how I know it's true...............................

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

As the original Top Gear found out if your are travelling at more than 170mph, the cameras don't work, just don't ask me how I know it's true...............................

The tyres on my car are only rated to 168 mph.  Nuce to know I can be safe and still get a speeding fine. The car is limited to 150mph, not that I have tried to see what happens. On the Astra I used to own the dashboard instrumentation flashed at the rev limit. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1