The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had a good nights sleep last night, as soon as my head touched the pillow I went out like a light. Part of it was exhaustion from yesterdays toy fair, it now takes me much more effort just to walk about and my energy levels are dropping. I've got a lot on in the coming week, MRC on Wednesday, SEERS meeting on Thursday and the SEERS show on Saturday.

image.png.b6cf14095a4c5c31eb0b8a219b5cf2c1.png

• Like 19

Good Morning All,

As we are midway between the Spring Equinox and the Summer Solstice, it must be Πάσχα (Easter).  Happy Easter one and all. 

No chocolate at Schloss iD (partly due to diet, partly due to waiting until the trade supermarket flogs off all their chocolate bunnies etc. at 50% off), however there will be Easter Lamb tonight (albeit in the form of a Lamb Bhuna).

Although my Japanese teacher is quite pleased with my progress, I am getting extremely frustrated as a lot of important phrases that I really should know before I get to Tokyo are refusing to stay in my brain. I look at the phrase flashcards and I immediately understand the Romaji (Japanese written using the western alphabet) and the correct pronunciation comes back to me. But does it stay in my brain? Like hell it does.

I’ve managed to master (most of) hiragana, and I am now starting on katakana. So very, very slowly I can read a small amount of Japanese. But it’s quite amazing what manages to lodge itself in my brain and what doesn’t. For example, a useful mnemonic for the katana character KE is the Japanese word for CAKE:

ケーキ (romaji Kēki, pronounced Cake-eee)

which, because of the predilections of an infamous Bear, managed to get stuck in my mind.

I thought that I would pass this along, so that @polybear will be able to feed himself if he ever ends up in Japan (I also thought that it might be useful for him to be able to ask for curly oven chips as well. Various translators came up with this: カーリーオーブン焼きフライドポテト Good luck on that one, Bear)

As a final parting thought; in my Japanese lessons I am now up to how to order food in a restaurant (something I had sussed out a while back), however, instead of the student being asked to order Japanese things like Tonkatsu, ShioRamen. Donburi  or Kake Udon - students are taught how to order a ハンバーガーとフライドポテト? (Hanbāgā to furaidopoteto i.e. burger and fries).

Really?

You go all that way to Japan and can’t think of anything better to eat than a ハンバーガーとフライドポテト?(although MickeyD’s does have some unique “only in Japan“ dishes – which I might try just for fun, just to see if it is better than the McD elsewhere in the rest of the world).

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

On hamburgers and fries, I must confess to have enjoyed a burger and fries at Five Guys a few days ago.........

Japanese curry is great, I was told that curry was taken to Japan by the British. After the Meiji restoration Royal Navy officers were attached to the IJN to modernise and train their officers and took Indian cooks with them. However Japanese curry has evolved into something very distinct, it is mild and quite sweet.

My favourite Japanese dish is probably beef sukiyaki, but when done well it's not cheap in a restaurant as a hostess cooks it at the table. A good friend who is now retired likes to take me to a lovely place in Tokyo when I visit, part of the experience is being pampered by the hostesses (I should add they're rather senior and it's not quite for lecherous types).

Something well worth doing is okonomiyaki, which is sort of like a DIY savoury pancake, they bring the makings to your table which has a hot plate/gridle and you make it yourself with whatever you want in it. Okonomiyaki with yakisoba (fried noodles) and plenty of japanese brown sauce is terrific.

Japanese cakes and confectionary are quite superb, the bread is also excellent. I'd recommend having some kyoho grapes, they're very different to the grape varieties grown in Europe but very nice. Spend a bit on the good ones, it's worth it (but don't go crazy).

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I should also include ramen, noodles are a staple of Japanese diet and really excellent, it's Japanese comfort food and if you want a hearty, filling meal then a bowl of ramen seldom disappoints. And a nice thing about it is you don't have to pay much to enjoy excellent ramen.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

And a nice thing about it is you don't have to pay much to enjoy excellent ramen.

My nephew, who has visited Japan several times, assures me that you can also pay a lot more to enjoy rather poor ramen.  He was equally scathing about the ramen served in a London branch of the chain store starting with W and ending in A.  

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Its stopped raining but blowing a hooley outside, and now even the sun is shining. I've got to get a few bits to get from Tess Coes, bread, eggs and milk are required.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

My nephew, who has visited Japan several times, assures me that you can also pay a lot more to enjoy rather poor ramen.  He was equally scathing about the ramen served in a London branch of the chain store starting with W and ending in A.  

If I recall correctly, there is a Ramen shop in Tokyo that has about 10 to 15 seats and a Michelin star. The lines start building up before the shop opens at 11 am and every day the Master Ramen Chef sells out. And the cost of this Michelin starred Ramen meal? Around ¥1000 - about six quid.

Whilst I agree with @jjb1970 assessment of the excellence of Japanese cuisine, I must disagree with him over his high rating of beef sukiyaki. As good as it is, for me it doesn’t have the same  “oh God, that’s amazing” factor as both Tonkatsu and TenDon: 天丼 (Donburi topped with tempura) have.

Okonomiyaki has become a staple at Schloss iD (or should I say キャスルiD [Kyasuru iD]), although I tend to make the Osaka version and not the Hiroshima version (which is the one that involves piling lots of tasty yakisoba noodles on top of it). I’m not quite satisfied with my attempts: partly because getting hold of Japanese mountain yam around here is well nigh impossible and partly because I still have to find a recipe that works for me. (although all the attempts I’ve made so far have been pretty decent). The cooking courses I plan to attend in Japan will undoubtably help improve my Japanese cooking.

Finally, a shout out for the delights of Wafu spaghetti - the combination of Italian spaghetti and Japanese seasonings and ingredients. There are many recipes available (including one with sea urchin, which I will try once I can source some fresh sea urchin [probably in France]). Fusion food par excellance.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 13

Morning all.

Of course the UK members are relishing the holiday Monday and basking in the ability to relax (maybe!)).

Saturday or Easter family dinner went very well a great time enjoyed by all.

Sunday a long day of singing, and then a nap in the afternoon.

Weather over Easter weekend has been good with sun and "relative" warmth. A lot more of the snow cover gone, with mostly now the piles from plowing waiting their turn to disappear. Remarkable what a few days of sun and no overnight temperatures below zero can do this time of year.

Today started at 6c and sunny, expecting 18c for the high, and sunny days and mid-20s for the highs all week until Friday. Suggestions of snow again Saturday!!

Tally ho.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Today started at 6c and sunny, expecting 18c for the high, and sunny days and mid-20s for the highs all week until Friday. Suggestions of snow again Saturday!!

The national weather report I saw yesterday suggested that northern Minnesota might soon see temperatures as high as 27°C with concerns about rapid snowmelt-caused flooding. (Not that that is very unusual. I remember the 1997 Red River flooding from before I left Chicago.)

6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Well, the seaweed twirlers got it wrong

Here they forecast rain. And, it is raining, more or less constantly, though it is very light at present.

We might just crack 10°C, barely. We might crack 15°C by the weekend.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Stockholm said his English wasn’t of a high enough standard despite being a native speaker, having a first degree from Leicester and an MSc from the LSE. The poor grade at GCSE English (a C ) damned him. 

Which I find ironic. I find the Swedes (whose English is usually very good in a professional setting) have slightly stronger accents and more eccentric idioms (in English) than the Finns - but that's a bit of a generalization on my part.

I never made it as far north as Oulu, though many of my colleagues have. All my time in Finland was in Helsinki (and suburbs).

• Like 11

On 05/04/2023 at 08:17, iL Dottore said:

And a recent fatality in the southern pointy bit of Malaysia not too far from our Singaporean correspondent:

CNN: Elderly couple dies after eating poisonous pufferfish in Malaysia

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Mr. Anderson was a very young black man just out of teachers' college (so not all that much older than his students) but in fairness, he really did know his stuff. To this day I still like classical music the best so he succeeded in his job, at least with me.  I am sorry that in much later years, I did not go back to the school board to see if he still taught with them and make arrangements to see him and thank him.

He could still be around....

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

SWMBO wanted to pop into a garden centre.     A garden centre has been popped into .....

A Garden Centre?  On an Easter B/H Monday?  Is Puppers mad???

The only possible saving grace is the cr@p weather may have limited all the other mad people.

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I wonder about a similar 'degrees of separation' for Nine-Eleven - which was very far from here on the west coast. I personally know two people who had plans to be at the World Trade Center that morning, but changed their minds at the last minute. The neighbour of a colleague was a victim.

ISTR reading that 9/11 continues to slowly claim victims due to the dust cloud created immediately following the event.

Bear here.....

Yet more danglin'....still a bit more to do, rather disappointingly** (other words are available...) - barring any disasters it definitely will be completed tomorrow though; today's progress was somewhat slower than hoped for due to messing around papering some boxed in pipework with pipes protruding.  This Bear definitely prefers paste-the-wall paper that doesn't need pattern matching as it's a bluddy sight quicker.

**I probably could've finished it, but (a) it would've meant a long day, and (b) the paw would've had it's revenge - it was mildly protesting so I decided not to push it too much.  Last night was the first time in, well, rather a long time that Bear went to beddy byes without having taken any sweeties (a Trammy or Pink Pills - or even both on a bad night) - and at 4am "The Paw" had it's revenge - though only mildly and I was able to get back to zeddy land before too long.

Bear watched "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" on Prime last night - a true story all about a CIA Diplomatic Compound being attacked in 2012; I was left thinking the US did next to buggerall to help those under attack and the CIA Chief stationed there was a tw@t - who was later awarded a medal.....

Worth a watch 

Bear gone

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7