The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Went to set off on the river, and the rear slider fitted under the boom holding the mainsheet launched itself into the river. Luckily there is a spare, but with out tools I couldn't use that, so bodged some dyneema on to do the job.

Sailed up to the broad, to find on the way in very gentle winds the gooseneck had broken.. more bodging with dyneema.

I have to ask - in an earlier life, were you Stanley Unwin?

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, pH said:

I have to ask - in an earlier life, were you Stanley Unwin?

It's prefectally understandafoble, when you larant the wordibles

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Sorry Peter, I haven't a clue about that although I do recall that a cricket match at Buxton had to be abandoned in the 1970 (?) in June because of snow.

I never have been able to remember dates except for today 9th April as it's my birthday and next year will be three score years and ten . . . .  Also have to remember a date in February (not the 14th !) which was our wedding day 45 years ago and SWMBO's 20th birthday - at least they are both on the same day . . . . ! !

Happy birthday Mike.

Yes, it could well have been the 70s as it was with ex.  Thanks for the reply.

Came across 1975 as the year while working through the posts above as the likely year, also seems that you had fun and games at the clubhouse.

Edited by PeterBB
Read more pages of blogs.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Camera on back and tripod stowed, looked for some spring. There was some but not a lot and the light was rapidly becoming carp (anag). ...

Sounds like the magazine for coarse anglers. Thats carp too...

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Around here the bus pass wielders are known as the Twirlies. "Am I too early?", they ask as they climb aboard around 9:30am. Some drivers wave them through without getting them to tap their cards on the machine. Others tell them to wait in the wind and rain for the next bus.  I supose it all depends on how many twirlies are at a stop, and how close to 9:30 it is...

Some wait at the stop for a few minutes until it IS 9:30 then let them on en masse!

Widely known as "Twirlies" as you say but in London known as "Wombles" derived from the song Underground, Overground, Wombling free.

The 09.30 threshold creates a post-peak wave as business abruptly picks up again after those who must pay fares have come and gone and those entitled to free travel then all rush to crowd the first service to arrive at their stop (be it bus stop, tram stop, tube or railway station) after the appointed moment.  For reasons I have yet to understand that coincides with the buggy-rush.  

At precisely 09.30 it seems that every buggy-pushing adult must also barge their way onto the system as though they have a right to be on that same first service.  They then complain that there aren't enough (trains, buses, whatever) and / or that they're too crowded ..... just wait ten or twenty minutes and even out the loadings.  Those double in-line buggies are the worst; one child in front of another and almost twice the normal length.  They are far bigger than the maximum size a bus is required to accept yet they still try to squeeze aboard blocking gangways and doors as they do so.  

There was once an evening peak time restriction as well but it became unenforceable.  If you were aboard at 4pm you could remain aboard even if your journey lasted a couple of hours right through the peak time.  But if you got off, misjudged the time or simply couldn't travel any earlier you couldn't (re-)board until after 7pm.  London buses often get "turned"; due to late running they are regularly turned back short of the destination they show on the front in order to run the next trip on or closer to right time from the turning point.  There were howls of complaints - even threats of legal action - that legitimate free-riders boarding before 4pm were being turfed off half-way along a route when a bus was turned and told to wait for the next one.  That's what always happens (though ideally the "next one" is visibly right behind and the transfer is arranged between the drivers or via an inspector) but the changeover point was reached after 4pm so they were being asked to pay to complete their journey.  There were also complaints that traffic delays and service cancellations made it impossible to be certain of boarding by 4pm.  That, to me, is the luck of the draw but in some cases you could wait an hour having arrived at a stop at say 3.15 for a bus supposed to come every 10 minutes.  It was always worse after school time which is, guess what, between 3 and 4pm.  

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

I can’t remember the last time I went on a bus!

The gaining of a bus pass is a rite of passage.  There is no obligation to use it.  In far too many areas there is no way to use it because Omnibus frequentus is extinct.  Large areas of many a county now record few if any sightings.  The concept of all going to market on the weekly village bus has gone the way of many things.  Not just the bus but the market too in many cases.  

Ironically there are more cuts across Surrey next week just a little too soon for me to have a free ride on them one last time.  But thanks to the government's intervention I can at least pay no more than £2 per trip.  Which, for the Basingstoke to Haslemere run at least, seems reasonable value for money.  

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

My municipality issues passes when the 60th birthday has been achieved, valid for local buses, trains and ferries. I've used my pass several times over the past year, mainly when I've taken the car to be serviced, mot'd and so on.  In a couple of months I become eligible for the national pass, though I don't anticipate it affecting my usage.

Edited by Hroth
line hiccup...
  • Like 13

In the last couple of days, this happened at the high school:

image.png.7b99546e24bbf2572e2a8d827dcf09f8.png

As you can see, today is wet and the blooms are a bit bedraggled. It supposed to get even wetter.

Hopefully the blooms will survive a few days of rain. It would be nice to see them in sunshine. I avoid the high school when students are present - as is appropriate. I'm not sure whether they will be there by next weekend - when 'normal' temperatures are forecast (at last).

• Like 16

13 hours ago, polybear said:

Needs a good layer of roofing felt and tar on it......

@iL Dottore has gone too far this time.......

Curly Fries are the Food of Gods (well, Bears at least).

Bear here.....

I'll leave fellow ER'ers to guess what Bear will be doing today.  It shouldn't be hard.

In other news.....

Keep an eye out for Gary the Gorilla; those who nicked him are obviously less than bright cos' they didn't even think of covering him with a Tarpaulin - or even better using a van.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/huge-8ft-gorilla-stolen-from-garden-centre-spotted-on-motorway-in-pickup-truck/ar-AA19CmvX?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=784c3a2f35d6464fba917a608fd4977f&ei=56

BG

So how's the ukulele playing going Bear?

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The aches and pains from this mornings exertions have disappeared and it looks as if I will get a good nights sleep. Not done a lot this evening except watch telly and do sudoku.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Widely known as "Twirlies" as you say but in London known as "Wombles" derived from the song Underground, Overground, Wombling free.

The 09.30 threshold creates a post-peak wave as business abruptly picks up again after those who must pay fares have come and gone and those entitled to free travel then all rush to crowd the first service to arrive at their stop (be it bus stop, tram stop, tube or railway station) after the appointed moment.  For reasons I have yet to understand that coincides with the buggy-rush.  

At precisely 09.30 it seems that every buggy-pushing adult must also barge their way onto the system as though they have a right to be on that same first service.  They then complain that there aren't enough (trains, buses, whatever) and / or that they're too crowded ..... just wait ten or twenty minutes and even out the loadings.  Those double in-line buggies are the worst; one child in front of another and almost twice the normal length.  They are far bigger than the maximum size a bus is required to accept yet they still try to squeeze aboard blocking gangways and doors as they do so.  

There was once an evening peak time restriction as well but it became unenforceable.  If you were aboard at 4pm you could remain aboard even if your journey lasted a couple of hours right through the peak time.  But if you got off, misjudged the time or simply couldn't travel any earlier you couldn't (re-)board until after 7pm.  London buses often get "turned"; due to late running they are regularly turned back short of the destination they show on the front in order to run the next trip on or closer to right time from the turning point.  There were howls of complaints - even threats of legal action - that legitimate free-riders boarding before 4pm were being turfed off half-way along a route when a bus was turned and told to wait for the next one.  That's what always happens (though ideally the "next one" is visibly right behind and the transfer is arranged between the drivers or via an inspector) but the changeover point was reached after 4pm so they were being asked to pay to complete their journey.  There were also complaints that traffic delays and service cancellations made it impossible to be certain of boarding by 4pm.  That, to me, is the luck of the draw but in some cases you could wait an hour having arrived at a stop at say 3.15 for a bus supposed to come every 10 minutes.  It was always worse after school time which is, guess what, between 3 and 4pm.  

None of this nonsense in Wales, a bus pass is a bus pass, thank you Welsh Assembly Government (they also give you free prescriptions and a pretty good cream tea in the Senedd building in Cardiff Bay), valid at any time a bus is running and on any bus, whenever you get on it.   Welsh buses will pick up mumsnbuggies any time as well, even turfing off standing passengers from the buggyspaces for them, so long as there are not mumsnbuggies already occupying the mumsnbuggy spaces.

There are anomalies, though, as they only apply to buses, and if the route is considered to be a coach route, you have to pay.  It is impractical to attempt to travel between Cardiff and Swansea (the two largest cities in Wales and 35 miles apart) using a bus pass, as there is no 'bus' service between Bridgend (actually the Porthcawl turnoff from the A48 at Laleston, but no coach stops there) and Port Talbot, though there are several coach routes.  It is, apparently, possible to route via Aberdare, but then you have to change at Neath, and I am not so dedicated to getting to Swansea for nothing as to attempt this, Salubrious Passage or not!

I have never really understood the distinction between bus and coach services.  It seems not to be the type of vehicle used, as the Cardiff-Hereford service can be used with a bus pass and uses a vehicle which I would call a coach and not a bus, as at one time did the Cardiff-Porthcawl, but that is now distincly a bus, albeit a rather smart and comfortable one.  It isn't the places where the vehicle stops, either, as some buses are restricted-stop and some coaches can be request-stopped.  I think there may be restrictions on standing passengers on coaches.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

None of this nonsense in Wales, a bus pass is a bus pass, thank you Welsh Assembly Government

NSW senior card holders pay a maximum of £1.30 equivalent for all travel all day on trains, buses and Sydney ferries within the area spanning Sydney,  North to Newcastle ( not your Newcastle), south to Wollongong and west to the Blue Mountains.  My dad goes on regular tight-ar5e harbour tours where he gets the bus and train into the city, cruises Sydney Harbour to Manly, then a cruise back across the harbour  to Watsons Bay for lunch, followed by more harbour cruising, then the train and bus home, all for .£1.30 ( plus lunch).  

He also gets   an allowance of  4 free trips (4 one-way  or 2 returns) to anywhere within NSW per year. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  A good day was had yesterday and a friend came over for dinner.  Today we are apparently going tbe planting potatoes.  My task wil be to set uan automatic watering system aftetwards. 

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Omnibus frequentus is not extinct here, it has never existed, this road of over 2.5 miles long has never had such a thing, it's almost certainly never had any service at all ever. So it's a mile to mile and a half either way to a bus stop and then 3 to 4  hours to Norwich just 20 miles away with practically no way to get back the same day.

You have to be 66 to get a pass here and I'm not quite there yet and SWMBO won't be there for two years, at the moment it's cheaper to park in anywhere we visit, than use a park and ride let alone any longer journey.

Even if we both had passes two * park and ride discount tickets is most of 3 hours parking so there would be hardly any benefit.

Mooring Awl,

4.5 hours sleep, long awake, 2 hours sleep, not too bad.

Just to be different left knee and right elbow and wrist aren't happy. The opposite sides to normal.

Ben the meteorologist Collie has just hidden in his cage, having already peered out of the the window I suspect dull grey and threatening is about to become, dull grey and soggy.

Plans for today,

When it's not raining, check oil, tyre pressures etc on the car, ready for tomorrows journey to Harrogate and back.

Other than that sit around in the mobile home.with SWMBO's brother and wife.

• Friendly/supportive 18