The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Plans for today now include going out and taking photos - as I listened to the weather forecast for the remainder of the week and as from tonight it's going to be wet and cooler. So the domestics can wait.

Now wasn't that a great excuse?

• Like 13
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PeterBB said:

One Easter while camping in the Peak District woke up to find 5" of snow on the tent - probably early 80s, Mike Bellamy might remember the actual year.  

Sorry Peter, I haven't a clue about that although I do recall that a cricket match at Buxton had to be abandoned in the 1970 (?) in June because of snow.

I never have been able to remember dates except for today 9th April as it's my birthday and next year will be three score years and ten . . . .  Also have to remember a date in February (not the 14th !) which was our wedding day 45 years ago and SWMBO's 20th birthday - at least they are both on the same day . . . . ! !

• Like 19

Happy Easter to all. Mrs Lurker has decreed the Lurker boys will be doing an Easter hunt. They’re 20 and 14. I doubt even the promise of an alcohol element for Elder will evince much enthusiasm!

there is a photo on Wisden of the Windies team in 1975  ( warm up for the first World Cup) at Buxton wondering what all this white stuff is!

and I think Buxton has had its cricket interrupted by snow on other occasions 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Cooler and mainly dull again today, lunch is now in the oven cooking itself.  There remains just the sprouts and gravy to do in the last few minutes before I eat it.

Yesterday I woke early so once again made a cup of tea and went back to bed and read for a while.  After breakfast I drove to the little car park at the beach and walked to the pier along the sand and then back as far as the main car park, up onto the promenade and back to the car.  I noticed there is a small fun fair at the back of the beach huts.  The usual "fun" run was taking place, I found a seat on the prom to avoid being run down by runners - though to be honest a lot of them just jog slowly.

Back home to clean the car and then coffee together with ice buns again followed by working on photos and dealing with e mails.  While I was ouside the Ukrainians living with friends opposite came across to bring me an Easter card and a small cake.  They are in the process of moving into a house in one of the older parts of the town.  One of other neighbours hired a van yesterday to help them move the furniture they have acquired, much of it given by local people. 

I had scrambled eggs followed by tiramisu for lunch with an afternoon nap for half an hour.

I decided to do some gardening, I ended up giving a holly bush/tree a good trim, it is now about 7' tall eand somewhat narrower, the garden wheelie bin is nearly full.  I wore a fleece and thick gloves and the sharp spines on the leaves still attacked me.  I quickly developed an itchy rash - and I am already taking antihistamines.  It was dealt with using Anthisan and is almost back to normal this morning.

There followed a quiet evening with a book, music and TV as usual.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

An interesting clip, thanks Peter.

I was quite amazed by what they managed to play on the ukele. Thanks to George Formby (and the like), I had always regarded the ukulele as a “joke” instrument - sort of the curly oven fries of the musical world.

Having said that, a talented musician and the right choice of music can make even those instruments usually hidden behind the rest of the orchestra, shine. As these two gifted Swedish lads show:

One of my favourite albums.

And, thanks to this Israeli musician, I discovered the joys of transcribing solo violin to mandolin.

As a professional musician my wife detests the useless..  its a musical dead end for many pupils. Schools switched from the recorder to ukulele... bad move says she.. and trying to keep 20+ of them in tune is a major challenge 

Baz

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Feeling a bit cream crackered after this mornings exertions. Didn't buy very much at the toy fair either, just a couple of diecasts. Now time for some eyelid inspection, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Eggs have been flung  Boggle Hole has been visited. Back is giving me gip but pink pills has calmed it a bit.  

20230409_112255.jpg.9d4b61ce2aafbbc73efc79579e6b887b.jpg

Sunny with acoldwindwhichcutsyouintwo....

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The head of English at the school I went to certainly revealed the rude bits. He particularly liked pointing out the bits that Thomas Bowdler had missed. 

We didn't get that from our Head of English who was a very modest Man of the Cloth and reluctant to explain anything he felt uncomfortable with.  

But we did get some answers out of his replacement after he retired.  A much younger chap who dressed in hippie style, had very long hair and smelled of patchouly.  He wasn't averse to using the language of his pupils either especially when explaining the finer points of Chaucer or Marston.  

"I wold I had thy coillons in mine hond and I wold cotte them off and burry them in an hogges toord" for example.  Or 

"Adieu, pigeon-house.  Thou burr that stickest only to nappy-fortunes.  The serpigo, the stranguary, an eternal ineffectual priapism seize thee."

• Like 16