The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Ostentation!  Pure ostentation!!!  🤭

One of the best performances I have seen at the Sydney Opera House wasn't even inside; it was the Midnight Oil gig outside.  Who needs sails and a roof?  OK, Red Sail in the Sunset maybe.

I also believe it leaks as well. Something to do with not being able to reach the gutters and clear them of leaves I understand.

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Or, 'contemporary' stories in iambic pentameter?

This series is really excellent:

"William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope" (Ian Doescher)

Lots of stage directions like "Exeunt droids".

Does William Shatner do it? He asked hopefully 

• Funny 13

26 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I also believe it leaks as well. Something to do with not being able to reach the gutters and clear them of leaves I understand.

Hmmmm,  I think you'll find that if it did need gutters that they would be handily close to the ground?

image.png.8add34e6d8ae866b256794ea6661c0fe.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

Just now, monkeysarefun said:

Does William Shatner do it? He asked hopefully 

Nay, nay. It is to be read my good man. Of course if one really likes well aged Canadian ham, then one could employ Mr. Shatner to perform one of the parts in a staged production.

Perhaps Grand Moff Tarkin, of the Imperial Fleet, would suit him? (Act III, Scene 2, Inside the Death Star)

Pray patience, Darth - thou shalt my meaning learn.

Now time it is the power of this Death

Star shown to all shall be. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Nay, nay. It is to be read my good man. Of course if one really likes well aged Canadian ham, then one could employ Mr. Shatner to perform one of the parts in a staged production.

Perhaps Grand Moff Tarkin, of the Imperial Fleet, would suit him? (Act III, Scene 2, Inside the Death Star)

At this point can I post the YouTube link to Leonard Nimoy singing about Bilbo Baggins  again? 

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

At this point can I post the YouTube link to Leonard Nimoy singing about Bilbo Baggins  again? 

That would be illogical, hobbitses. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not much fuss from Arthur Itis this evening but Nurofen will be taken tonight just in case. However the hay fever is back, not so bad as earlier so hopefully it will be gone by bedtime.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well Ava and I had a very busy morning, 1 fruit tea loaf cake was baked and 1 (small) batch of rhubarb and strawberry jam has been made. The rhubarb was picked, sliced, cleaned and in the pan in less than 10 minutes, now that’s what I call fresh. 

The afternoon was a more relaxed affair, I read a magazine, whilst Ava and Sheila watched ‘The Secret Garden’ one of Ava’s favourite films. 

The evening was rounded off by setting down to watch some recorded TV and opening a bottle of Shiraz. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

' evening all from red dragon land.

Bad day in the music room - I did try! - so I turned my attention to other things, potting about, mostly. Lots of incoming Wotsapps from family to keep me entertained, as well, so not such a bad day overall.

I doubt I will get a chance, in the morning, so wishing you all a

Happy Easter.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Still leaks though.

Yeah as if  we got British Leyland to build it for us.....

Anyways, if you chose to fall for the dodgy Chinese knock off, you'll get no sympathy from me!

A MAJOR water leak in the roof of the Sydney Opera House has forced authorities to close the iconic waterfront structure until further notice.

Work is under way to repair the damage already caused by an inundation, putting the building out of action for potentially months.

But it’s not the original Sydney Opera House in Australia that has sprung a leak. Instead, it's the dodgy knock-off in China.

The replica, and we use the term loosely, was a waterfront restaurant in Fuxin in the northern Liaoning province.

It was constructed about four years ago at a cost of $200,000.

image.png.ae4ce272f40f42dddcdd8ae1a3b465d3.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 3

6 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Yep, I like all sorts of music:

An interesting clip, thanks Peter.

I was quite amazed by what they managed to play on the ukele. Thanks to George Formby (and the like), I had always regarded the ukulele as a “joke” instrument - sort of the curly oven fries of the musical world.

Having said that, a talented musician and the right choice of music can make even those instruments usually hidden behind the rest of the orchestra, shine. As these two gifted Swedish lads show:

One of my favourite albums.

And, thanks to this Israeli musician, I discovered the joys of transcribing solo violin to mandolin.

• Like 12

And whilst on the subject of “how did they play that on that?”, I was recently reading about how difficult and temperamental to use some of those instruments used to create great rock music were.

These included the Mellotron (Moody Blues Nights in White Satin), the modular Moog synthesizer (ELP and many others), the Binson Echorec (as used by David Gilmour*) and the Arbiter Fuzz Face distortion pedal with germanium transistors. And whilst the sound of these have never been bettered, their temperamentality meant touring musicians switched to more “user friendly” and stable units such as the Mini Moog or MXR Delay system.

* at one point there were only two people in the world who could repair and keep a Binson Echorec running - David Gilmour and his guitar tech

Anyway, here’s a smashing mellotron based track from the Stones:

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

4.5 hours, 1 hour, 1.5 hours sleep a good total.

Also gained a camera, for us quite a good one. Only thing wrong is the flash doesn't work. knowing it's former owners lack of electronic / computer abilities, the flash is probably switched off in some hidden setting.

Bin out on patrol with Ben the snoring Collie, he was when I made the slightest move but was instantly along side me. He's back snoring again.

Chilly out there, but not quite frosty. Mostly clear skies. It was foggy last night. Hence everything is dripping wet.

Sailing today, as in actually drifting around in circles, not re fitting the boat.

As it's Easter Black Horse Broad ( aka Hoveton Little Broad) is open, so we'll be on there, then it closes again until the end of May.

Oh joy, seaweed inspector says Tuesday is going to be wet and soggy. I've got 2 X 215 mile drives Tuesday, and a funeral to attend.

SWMBO has had a good night's sleep for the first time in three days, but I need to make breakfast and her morning cupotea.

Time to get cooking. I suspect a snoring Collie will be outside the kitchen door in microseconds.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Went to bed early and had 10.5 hours sleep. I must have been tired.

Attended a very nice tea and wads get together.. but boy my back is telling me all about why I shouldn't have fallen down the other day. Unusually I have had to start with the pink pills. Pah!

Off for an egg fling on the beach followed by a walk to Boggle Hole. So long as the tide is out we can walk to Boggle and back along the beach.

Seems like the dog population of Britain has exploded since Covid. Unfortunately some of them are not well trained.

Time for... a mugatea then breakfast.

Have a great Easter Sunday!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Still leaks though.

Needs a good layer of roofing felt and tar on it......

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

..........I had always regarded the ukulele as a “joke” instrument - sort of the curly oven fries of the musical world.

@iL Dottore has gone too far this time.......

Curly Fries are the Food of Gods (well, Bears at least).

Bear here.....

I'll leave fellow ER'ers to guess what Bear will be doing today.  It shouldn't be hard.

In other news.....

Keep an eye out for Gary the Gorilla; those who nicked him are obviously less than bright cos' they didn't even think of covering him with a Tarpaulin - or even better using a van.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/huge-8ft-gorilla-stolen-from-garden-centre-spotted-on-motorway-in-pickup-truck/ar-AA19CmvX?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=784c3a2f35d6464fba917a608fd4977f&ei=56

BG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 45156 said:

Annie Haslam was a much underrated singer - Northern Lights is but one of a number of excellent tracks - I have Sog for all seasons on CD and used to have it on vinyl - excellent album indeed.

Indeed, I have just this morning dug out said CD and am playing it as I type - it really is a very good album, and it also evokes some memories.

Latest find is two complete wooden jigsaws promoted by the GWR - probably 1930s, as I don't think any would have been prooduced during the war or in the post war chaos where the railways were struggling to sort  out traction, rolling stock, and infrastucture.  They depict destinations which the GWR served, and are for their age in reasonable condition - boxes tatty, but complete - a bargain at £6 each in a charity shop.

Now doing eBay sending as some items that are listed have ended.

Back later for another catch up.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

I'll leave fellow ER'ers to guess what Bear will be doing today.  It shouldn't be hard

Well, it won’t involve going to any big shops or garden centres. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5