The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And then there’s The Clash

And the Mick Jones spin-off Big Audio Dynamite

Although I reckon, based on some of his previous posts, @Erichill16 would regard this as EeeZee Listening 🤣

Yes that’s the sort of music I listen to on an evening when I’m trying to get some sleep, a type of lullaby.

I also like a bit of classical music.

https://youtu.be/6Swa3op93wY

Edited by Erichill16
Change link.
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

I was up a little later than planned, so straight after breakfast I was off to the Trafford Centre to do some shopping. I got there just after 10 o'clock and was back home, shopping put away and muggertea in hand before 10:50. I'm now encamped in the cellar (office) about to have another go at getting to grips with Inkscape. 

As far as music goes, I like most types apart from rap and its derivatives, although some of the early rap was listenable. I love classical music, symphonies etc, but not so the violin or piano concertos, as they seem to go on a bit, I'm not to keen on opera either, although I do like some opera songs, but Wagner's 'Ring Cycle' no thanks.

Back later

Brian  

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Mainly cloudy today with a breeze from the north - you might say invigorating.

Yesterday started early as the cable people were going to work along the road past my house.  I decided not to go to church as there might have been nowhere to park my car when I got back as I couldn't access my drive and the pavement opposite had vans on it.  In the event there would have been one space when I got back.   I should have been serving but the vicar was elsewhere and a reader was taking the service and she asked the churchwarden to do it as he is used to working with her - suits me, I'll do next week.  

At just before 8 a.m. barriers were put up along the edge of the road and a small excavator lifted the paving slabs and dug a narrow trench, the the cable went in (no ducting), covered with warning tape and the soil put back, compacted and the slabs put back.  Concerete was added undet the slabs at each driveway.  The pavement is more level than it was - unlike some of the roads they have done.  It sounds quick but it took them until about 3p.m.  Small flaps are now in the pavement where cables to each house will be connected for those who want to use it.  I'll think about it once I know the cost etc.

As I stayed at home I got a lot of niggling little jobs done and made more decisions about what is to be thrown out.  I did a bit of painting on some models I'm making, sorted out more photos and did a bit in the greenhouse.  After lunch I watched a programme on German TV about the Swiss "Churchill Pfeil", the 2 car streamlined electric railcar from the late 1930s which is still available for excursion use.  Then I watched "The Flying Scotsman" made in 1929, part silent part talkie which was enjoyable, though credulity was stretched when the loco was uncoupled from the train by pulling on a small piece of chain after cutting a hole in the corridor connector and reaching down to it.  There was an introduction to the film pointing out the the section of film with two actors (man and woman) making their way independently along the train outside the coaches along the footboards and grasping door handles and reaching the tender was filmed on a moving train and did not use doubles.

The evening was the usual book, music and another film.

As for music - I like most classical music, most music from the early 1900s to the late 70s along with Swiss/German/Austrian folk music.  My only problem is deciding what to listen to.  I don't really have favourite bands, just about all of them produced some music I like.  I really must make time to listen to my CDs again - since I retired there doesn't seem to be time to do everything.

I don't like most music from the 80s on, probably because I rarely listened to it when it was new.  I suspect it is also an age thing.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mala hotpot for dinner, mala is a Chinese hot flavouring made from black pepper and chilli. It comes in various strengths, from entry level which is equivalent to the temperature inside the sun and gets hotter from that. I went for mid-level and it was pretty brutal, the weird thing is it's not that hot on the palate and after a while becomes really quite pleasant as the nerves are numbed (which is a characteristic of seriously hot food which uses a lot of chilli).

I have just re-watched the documentary 'Downfall' on Netflix about the Boeing 737 Max debacle. I am always sceptical about media reports and documentaries based on personal experience in my own field, but even if only a part of the story is correct it is properly damning. A dreadful story of corporate greed and trying to cover up a systemic safety issue. Well worth watching if anyone hasn't seen it.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Bon Apres midi from a sunny south western part of  the hexagon. We got back at teatime yesterday to a cool house A ki friend had left us a large home made quiche and put some milk in the fridge.  The girls gave us 3 fresh eggs as a welcome home present.  Nearly 400 miles was a lo g way from Abbeville.  Now the lawns has been  the car emptied. The 2nd load of washing is on the line and the other half of the quiche is to be had tonight. Tomorrow the rest of the grass awaits. 

As to music, I was able to listen to 208 and Radion Caroline North from fraggle rock area, the Beatles got their first no 1 wheI was 10.  I saw a lot of bands at Uni, including Wings,so have seen one Beatle.  I have since seen The Stones and the Who and probably rate the Stones as the greatest live band.  However Ialslime clasicaandloawhole eclectic mixof other stuff.  Country sounds fabulous when driving in the Western USA. Of course, See Emily Play is on memory sticin the car. 

Ttfn. 

Jamie, 3 kilos lighter due to a dodgy lasagne at the hotel.  Now fully recovered. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

As there is a lot of music chat at the moment here is a  collaboration video

featuring Robert Fripp of King Crimson heavy metal fame and Toyah Wilcox

from the days of Punk doing a cover of Rebel Yell by  Billy Idol .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3Hk6fpnW8

Nice to see a bit of Toyah again!

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

POETS...NAH, take the whole day. The Long Island client base seem to have decided to take Good Friday en masse, so no point me sitting here waiting!!

Yesterday, a VERY LONG Holy Thursday service, as predicted, however the choir did manage to shine. The Fuhrer choir director the added the cruel and unusual punishment of rehearsing for Easter Sunday for 45 minutes AFTER the service <sigh> definitely tired time I got home.

Today, not much happening, and the weekend;

Saturday - all hands on deck as we are having the Easter family celebration/get-together as it works better for all, especially since I sing at two services Sunday.

Have all the food "Easter dinner for 8" ordered to pick up from Whole Foods, just needs to be heated and served. Kids responsible for appetizers and dessert.

Sunday, singing all morning, basically, then napping the afternoon I think 😃

Re: 50 years ago - late I know, but throw in my status, was living at home still and working at Shell International by Waterloo. Would have been there 5 years by then.

Driving an MGB, learning to fly and teaching skiing. Some life! 🤪

-3c here first thing, bright sun reflecting off the remaining snow, expecting a high of 9c. Currently forecasting 17c high tomorrow and 15c Sunday! Bit of a swing upward.

Tally ho.

• Like 19

Greetings from a Sidcup which is bathed in sunshine and probably 15 in the sun. I felt compelled to mow the lawn - it still looks pretty shaggy but it should now at least dry out more thoroughly. A robin was soon in the scene!

music wise, I guess mid 80’s goth does it for me. That grew out of liking New Romantic and New Wave stuff as heard on top of the pops,  my tastes have grown more eclectic over time but I have never got on with hip hop or grime or garage or dance music generally. I was exposed to a lot of classical as a child but that put me off.

these days I tend to use Spotify; coming up in my Liked list “Johnny Cash” by Sons and Daughters, “Askia Mohammed” by Boubacar Traore, followed by tracks by All Them Witches, Songhoy Blues and The Chameleons.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The wooden planter that served in conjunction with pond liner as my goldfish pond has been deteriorating for some time, wood going rotten, and was bursting under water pressure at the bottom.  The fishes have therefore been transferred to a fibreglass round planter, giving them a bit less space but they don't seem to mind so long as the food keeps coming.  The idea that goldfish have a limited memory is rubbish; these have remembered the food container for up to a week over the winter, when one feeds them less frequently.

I've broken the old wood planter up, not difficult as it was only being held together by a army of chiggypigs, and am burning it off session by session in the new (last year) firepit, and as it is a fine spring evening over the mean inner-city streets, I can feel another firepit session coming on!  That'll keep me out from under The Squeeze's feet for a couple of hours, which will be followed by dinner and a modelling session replacing a keeper plate on a Baccy pannier which will have a full service and relube at the same time.  The keeper plate was ordered from Barwell on Saturday (which means Monday in terms of working days) and arrived yesterday, not bad response at all!  This is the loco that used to be 6762, which is to have it's vacuum bags replaced and it's topfeed and associated plumbing removed, to be renumbered as Tondu's 3668 in 1953 condition, unlined black unicycling lion.  Photos of this loco in Hodge/Davies show it without topfeed at this time.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

image.png.c19069716a2b73c5dee7b09ff88c7984.png

Now we know the Bear is delusional!   I've told you before about sniffing wallpaper paste!   

Bear could barely* hack his way out of the shed ......

Don't worry - Bear's already got YOUR address........

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I've had the pleasure of enjoying 2 PF concerts.

One at Uni and the second when they performed in Grenoble (1998?).  I was not at the venue for the Grenoble concert but some 15km away and several hundred metres higher up, camping in the wild on the Vercors plateau.  We could hear all except the PA announcements between songs.  Magical

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been a bit busy today and I forgot my afternoon missive here on ER's, something I've no doubt most of you will be thankful. A few protests from Arthur Itis when I done a bit of shopping at Tess Coes but nothing else and as the weather seems set fair for the next couple of days hopefully he will stay away. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Yet more danglin' completed - all the scary walls are now papered; no more scariness until it's time to paint.

Currently watching " The music of Buddy Holly on Sky Arts" (Channel 11) - well worth a watch.

It includes interviews with Guys on the Tour when Buddy, the Big Bopper & Richie V were killed in the plane crash - including the guy who flipped a coin with Richie to see who'd get a seat on the plane.

BG. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I've had the pleasure of enjoying 2 PF concerts.

One at Uni and the second when they performed in Grenoble (1998?).  I was not at the venue for the Grenoble concert but some 15km away and several hundred metres higher up, camping in the wild on the Vercors plateau.  We could hear all except the PA announcements between songs.  Magical

Sounds great. Had a magical half hour at Guildex-Telford. One warm evening g I had a walk outside and McFly were playing in the park next door. I just leaned against a wall a d listened. Magical.

Jamie. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

As I said I've never really been into music, but saying that I like music on In the background.

On the hard drive ( CDs in cupboard) are the complete works of the Carpenters, Strawhead and Glenn Miller, several albums by Rick Wakeman,, Katie Melua, Haley Westernra, numerous classical pieces , several cross over Classical / pop singing acts and the odd Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, then a random selection of odd things I've liked. The music player says i have four days worth of music on it.

Perkdel.. had to look it up.   Mmm, potato and corned beef fritters ? Food of the Gods?  Not the way my school served them in Wiltshire...

Primary schools ,

no dances, they didn't even have school halls to have them in,

Secondary schools, 

1st school all boys, no dances,

2 nd school, ceilidh dance at the end of school term, no alcohol of course, I'd been in Scotland less than 3 months, I'm stood there thinking what the xxxx is this??

3rd school  highland dancing at part of PT lessons, and I'm static  thinking what **** is this with a PT teacher shouting at me to dance, and I hadn't a clue what was going on..

No actual dances as in entertainment, Highland or disco though.

The day went well at the Radar museum https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/ I'm told it was quiet, it allowed me to start building a model of a T80 radar in 1/1000 scale.. showed several families the history of radar between muddling.

After that a chip shop for my evening meal.. a small pie, average chips. Pineapple fritter, 2cans of coke... Just short of £10 ouch...

Ate that at the MRC, had just finished that when others started arriving, 

Built a Seco hut from the panels. It looks surprisingly good considering how badly made it is.

The following ones will be much better.

Muggachoccy gone

Goodnight Awl 

• Like 19