The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I had no interest in music until the ABC radio station Double Jay launched in 1975  which I guess would have been the equivalent of Brisbane's 3RRR?   

Probably more like 4ZZZ FM, back in the day. 

The station began transmission on 8 December 1975 as 4ZZ at 105.7 MHz, the first FM community broadcaster in Brisbane transmitting in stereo.

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The late 70's and early 80s for me were mainly local bands, I think we did live in a bit of an alternative universe from the rest of the world back then  when it came to culture and cars, certainly Australian bands like The Angels, Split Enz,  Cold Chisel, Midnight OIl, Skyhooks, Radio Birdman, The Radiators and so on were huge .  

One my of my close schoolmates was a big fan of The Angels.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My cousin tells me that they are now available in many flavours. That seems weird to me.

2 hours ago, pH said:

... the best hot cross buns in this area are baked by Cobs Bread, the North American manifestation of Bakers Delight

I looked at the Bakers Delight website and apparently they offer 'traditional', chocolate chip, apple/cinnamon, mocha and fruitless hot cross buns.

This afternoon my cousin told me of Vegemite and cheese hot cross buns, which seems wrong on many levels.

I've no objection to Vegemite and cheese on a savory roll/bun - or any of the 'new' alternatives per se. It just isn't what I remember. I did see online recipes for rum and raisin; and fig, cardamom and orange hot cross buns. I would be tempted.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Grammar
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Indeed, "technically" the whole of April is considered the snow season, but usually by now, even if we do get some, it's after the snow pack has disappeared.

This year, we've plenty on the ground still but the sun today is working hard to deplete that. The occasional light snow shower/fall happens through the end of April many years, but quickly disappears.

Living here in the south east, I have seen as many white Easters in my life as I have white Christmases - 2 of each - granted 1 of each was further north but still in the UK.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Probably more like 4ZZZ FM, back in the day. 

One my of my close schoolmates was a big fan of The Angels.

You are right of course,  I got my Melbournes mixed up with my Brisbanes!

What an epic frontman Doc Neeson was!  Like the Young family of ACDC fame and several musically famous others, he arrived here as a young lad with his family from the Uk (Ireland) in search of warmth and ended up in a migrant hostel in Elizabeth, Sth Australia.

Famously took an unsporting full beer can to the head thrown from the crowd during a concert outside the Opera House  during a NYE concert, an act which lives on as an example of cowardly infamy along with the punch that killed cricketer David Hookes.  Sadly, had a miserable last few years before dying  of a brain tumour in 2014,  hopefully not as a result of the beer can.

Axl Rose always cites The Angels and in particular "Take A Long Line" as the reason he formed Guns N Roses, he had an import copy of "Face To Face" and used to play it endlessly at his work as a cleaner in a fast food restaurant or something, dreaming of the big time and overly-tight  cycling shorts.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

11 hours ago, polybear said:

I see that our new King's missus is now to be elevated to the status of "Queen" rather than "Queen Consort" - which is the very term our own real Queen specifically desired.  Hmmm.  Bear predicts that Ginge choked on his Rice Krispies when he read that little snippet - judging by those being interviewed on the TV News last he's not the only one.

Tread carefully with what you say!  The monarch is exempt from laws regulating the use of nuclear weapons and cluster bombs outlined in The Chemical Weapons (Asset-Freezing) and Miscellaneous Amendments Regulations 2018 17(4), 17(5). 

(This is just one of  over 160 laws that the palace has negotiated exemptions for using Queens Consent. Others include exemptions from sex discrimination laws, equal pay legislation  and the race relations act.  hmmmmmm....)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Living here in the south east, I have seen as many white Easters in my life as I have white Christmases - 2 of each - granted 1 of each was further north but still in the UK.

In 71 years of living in Cardiff I've seen two white Easters, one white Whitsun, and no white xmas'.  The 'big freeze' of 1963 started at about seven in the evening on Boxing Day and snowed for several days continuously, but no snow on xmas day at all.  Cardiff has a bit of a microclimate of it's own, being sheltered by hills on three out of four sides and warmed by sea on the fourth; if we've got a foot of it, that means the rest of Wales is buried...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Coming late to the Pink Floyd discussion, as I did to Pink Floyd, the only LP I have of theirs is "Relics", released on the EMI MFP label.  I only bought it because it was discounted in a closing down sale and the sleeve looked odd...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relics_(album)

Hey ho!

As for snow, as The Johnster says, living in a mild microclimate means that a couple of inches snowfall means that large parts of the country have had sustained blizzards and drifts feet thick.  However, even a couple of inches of the stuff means that things grind to a halt in sympathy!

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

3.5 hours sleep, 1 hours sleep, 1.5 hours sleep.

All this music talk is beyond me, in the Hebrides we could only get Radio 2 on long wave, at school in Inverness, / Hostel, there was little time for music, we couldn't even watch TOTP, as we were in class doing home work... Even if no home work was set.

Frosty Easters yes many. Snowy Easters not so many.

Sadly the landlord already has the money, they are trying to not give back the deposit....

The climate here, coastal, we don't normally get the extremes of cold or hot, as the sea moderates the temperature change, but a winter northerly round to easterly is darn cold..

Time to get some breakfast.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Axl Rose always cites The Angels and in particular "Take A Long Line" as the reason he formed Guns N Roses, he had an import copy of "Face To Face" and used to play it endlessly at his work as a cleaner in a fast food restaurant or something, dreaming of the big time and overly-tight  cycling shorts.

And then there’s The Clash

And the Mick Jones spin-off Big Audio Dynamite

Although I reckon, based on some of his previous posts, @Erichill16 would regard this as EeeZee Listening 🤣

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The great thing about any artistic expression is that we all find something personal in it. That might be that we think it's rubbish, or it may be a catchy tune or it may be that we find some deeper meaning and deconstruction. The one thing I do think is that if any work of art (be it music, painting, TV, movie, sculpture, book or anything else) needs someone to explain what it means for the audience to have any chance of making sense of it then my own opinion is it's failed.

I'm a bit scatter brained when it comes to music and like all sorts. At the risk of being dismissed I love the Carpenters, and Supertramp. I think Bruce Springsteen at his best is brilliant (especially performing live) though I don't like all he has done. I love Richard Hawley, a musician who deserves much wider recognition in my opinion. However most of the music I love is what is generally called classical, though I'm not sure what that really means (there can't be many other fields in which a composer or artist who has been dead for decades be described with no sense of irony as modern). That is such a diverse range of genres spanning hundreds of years, my favourites vary over time but I consistently listen to Bruckner, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Beethoven, Rossini, Telemann, Adams and Ligeti. I've just been listening to one of Yevgeny Mravinsky's recordings of the Tchaikovsky 6th symphony with the Leningrad  Philharmonic, magnificent.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I get our hot cross buns at M&S, they're baked in England. I probably shouldn't encourage flying bread around the world, but stuff it. Last year one of the local shops had some excellent hot cross buns imported from an Australian artisan bakery but I never saw them again.

That's something about shopping here, most things are imported and the shelves are subject to a logistic chain and what the supermarket buyers are doing. So products come and go, shelves might lose a product for a while until another container ship berths. And fresh food still seems more seasonal than in Britain, while some stuff is sourced so it is available year round there are still fresh products which are available in season. It's just part of life and people here and people don't see it as an issue. People here tend to have quite a down to earth and pragmatic approach to life.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Had an interesting day yesterday. Met up with other members of the advanced party of Bogglers. Couple of pints at lunch time, followed by a nice evening meal and a few more pints later. The world will be put to rights...

Music wise..I listen to all types of music.. from my schooldays I started to listen to Genesis, Pink Floyd and super tramp.. but there is little in the types of music available that I won't  listen to.we were introduced to 2NBS Fine music in sydney who play a wide variety of classical music.

Her indoors got me to listen to medieval music.. particularly the bits she plays..i do like the Shawm!

Back to today.. its dry so a walk is required.. notsurewgereareare going but possibly to boggle..  The streams around here are very full of water so it could be interesting . No drought in Yorkshire at the moment!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oops forgot to ask a question..

Kiwifruit transported  from Italy to New Zealand are cheaper than those transported from Italy to the UK. Why??

Answers on a post card to......

Baz

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Kiwifruit transported  from Italy to New Zealand are cheaper than those transported from Italy to the UK. Why??

Baz

It's like Indonesian potatoes in Singapore (next door neighbours) being way more than tatties imported from Australia or the USA or China (about 3x more than Chinese tatties, about 1.5x-2x more than Australian or US). Bonkers.

One answer might be shipping. The cost of containerized sea transport is very cheap, even with all the whinging about high shipping rates of recent times. If fruit goes from Italy to the UK by truck or rail that might explain it.

A related issue is carbon footprint. Many people try and guilt shame us into not eating fruit, meat etc shipped from Australia or South America, ignoring the fact that if you do the analysis the journey from Felixstowe or Southampton to your plate can have a significantly higher carbon footprint than the transoceanic voyage.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I can remember my classmates discussing Pink Floyd at school at length, though with 'disco' in full swing I don't recall it at school dances.

Comfortably Numb was sometimes played as the slow dance to round things off.  But at al all-boys school there wasn’t a lot of partnering and smooching going on. At least not overtly. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Sunshine and blue sky here and it should be a dry, fine sunny day with some light winds.  6°C possibly rising to 16°C.

Tea was brought to me in bed earlier which makes a bit of a change. 

No need to "gettamoveon" yet as nothing much happening until lunchtime when we will be collected and transported to a pub on the site of the old Guards depot at Caterham.  Family meal for Nicki's birthday which will I suspect take most of the afternoon.  A cab has been booked for the return at 18.00hrs.

Time to think about what to have for breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The Indonesian potato thing is partly because of alleged mythical properties of Indonesian potatoes for making perkedel. Perkedel is an Indonesian fried potato cake, a food of the gods it must be said and very popular here. If you listen to Indonesian cooks and foodies (such as Mrs JJB.....) you will here that it is simply impossible to make a perkedel of an acceptable quality unless using Indonesian tatties. Now I might think that is nonsense, but I'd never say it aloud within earshot of the wife and it does mean many people will pay a heft premium for Indonesian potatoes here.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good Friday Morning. 

The golden orb is aloft and the bin-emptying people have been.  Both seem to be remarkable events for a public holiday. 

Hot Cross buns have been enjoyed for breakfast. Of the traditional style. Last week Ocado tried to substitute blueberry ones. They were declined. Yesterday the correct ones arrived. Rather like pasties a range of flavouring and content options has arisen in recent years but only one matches the tradition. 

We have tried chocolate-chip, wholemeal and even cheesy ones. I don’t much like blueberries anyway but for this morning only the true Hot Cross Bun will do. One-a-penny, two-a-penny as the song has it. But they cost a bit more than that now. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Because Brits are not Kiwis?  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

.........so they did flog that  PF "kids chanting about education" song for a while, the pimply DJ even gave it a spin at one of our school dances, but it cleared the dance floor pretty quick

Bear will see you and raise you....

St. Winnifred's School Choir - "Grandma I Love You"  😱

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hmmmm, If I was a hacker, I would have just discovered an ingenious new ploy thanks to you!

Spam @polybearwith  scam emails saying  I was from the Dutch police or whatever  and "heres a link to click on to see if you've been hacked....."

Bear was careful and double checked the info with separate websites first - such as reputable trustworthy ones....... like BBC News 🤣

Of course Bear could be the Hacker and just lulling you into a false sense of security - getting your email addresses could be the first step finding out where you (and your cake) all live......

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Not on your f. nellie......

Bear here.....

More danglin' today - the last awkward wall, which includes having to cut the paper around the oval shaped handrail without it looking like a tram smash.  Hopefully.....

In other news.....

Problems with the Tax Man?  Spare a thought for this Guy....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65205520

BG.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

St. Winnifred's School Choir - "Grandma I Love You"  😱

Oh dear. That’s worse than sone acne-ridden youth with a “record collection” spinning the Wombling Song ….. 

….. although the university Geology Society socials, at which far more alcohol was consumed than would have been permitted at school, always got everyone dancing to Mike Oldfield’s “In Dulci Jubilo”.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept well last night not troubled at all by the arthritis/sciatica. A few twinges when I got up but the Nurofen dealt with that. Not much planned for the bank holiday except for the Rayleigh toy fair on Sunday and modelling tokens are at the ready.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1