The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I've never been a fan of Pink Floyd but as someone who has tried over the years and not coming anywhere  near being able to call myself a proper guitarist I have got the fullest admiration for Dave Gilmour's skills.  

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

... it was once again time for a coffee and hot cross bun

I find myself Jonesing for a hot cross bun this time of year. 

Anything resembling the bun (still warm from the oven) from the bakery/cake/pie shop down the road that I remember from my youth is unobtainium here. They are forbidden to me anyway. I have seen supermarkets carry sorry little, sweet sticky, mass-produced things* wrapped in plastic but they are just not the same.

* With a frosting cross no less! Here I often hear the generalization that American foods are too sweet and, as much as I abhor the generalization, in this case it comports well.

My cousin tells me that they are now available in many flavours. That seems weird to me.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

It's way past time for it to start being Spring here ...

I remember that it was completely 'normal' to have the last heavy wet snow of winter in the first week of April in Chicago. I would have thought the land of lakes/arctic tundra would continue to see snow for a couple more weeks yet - baseball season or not.

My eldest was still playing baseball when we lived in Chicago. I remember him wanting to go out and 'catch' before the season started. It was cold enough that the ball would sting, even through the mitt.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I have managed to get to the age I am without ever hearing a single Pink Floyd song. 

I find that very hard to believe - even unintentionally. I can remember my classmates discussing Pink Floyd at school at length, though with 'disco' in full swing I don't recall it at school dances.

Back in the day, before 'format' radio, Aussie am radio in the 1970s (even Auntie ABC) played pretty much everything - at least until punk* appeared.

* You had to tune into the brand new University-hosted FM stations to hear that.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I remember that it was completely 'normal' to have the last heavy wet snow of winter in the first week of April in Chicago. I would have thought the land of lakes/arctic tundra would continue to see snow for a couple more weeks yet - baseball season or not.

My eldest was still playing baseball when we lived in Chicago. I remember him wanting to go out and 'catch' before the season started. It was cold enough that the ball would sting, even through the mitt.

Indeed, "technically" the whole of April is considered the snow season, but usually by now, even if we do get some, it's after the snow pack has disappeared.

This year, we've plenty on the ground still but the sun today is working hard to deplete that. The occasional light snow shower/fall happens through the end of April many years, but quickly disappears.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Just what is this Pink Floyd thingy that everyone's on about??  I've heard of the Pink Panther - and Floyd in the Muppet Show, but......

Yours,

A Mystified Bear

I never bought any of their LPs when they were first issued which perhaps shows I wasn’t that bothered. I do have a best of or greatest hits compilation on the iPad. Not sure why! 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I also intend to continue to never see any Star Wars movie, ever play a round of golf and never read any books with hobbits in it.

I won't hold not playing golf against you! 😉

Golf is not something I plan to master. Friends live on a golf course and I have participated with them many times. I am not very coordinated and am very, very bad at golf. My putting is not an embarrassment but anything requiring a bigger swing than a short chip is beyond me.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I do have a best of or greatest hits compilation on the iPad. Not sure why! 

I have a best of/greatest hits compilation on audio CD. While I would say I do "like" Pink Floyd songs (including of course "Wish you were here") I find listening to the whole CD depresses my mood so I don't do it often.

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

... for me Floyd are still right up there even today,

Rather evident in your signature. 😉

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I do tend to listen to most of my favourites in bite sized chunks rather than whole albums these days

Yes.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

46 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I find myself Jonesing for a hot cross bun this time of year. 

Anything resembling the bun (still warm from the oven) from the bakery/cake/pie shop down the road that I remember from my youth is unobtainium here. They are forbidden to me anyway. I have seen supermarkets carry sorry little, sweet sticky, mass-produced things* wrapped in plastic but they are just not the same.

You will probably not be happy to know that the best hot cross buns in this area are baked by Cobs Bread, the North American manifestation of Bakers Delight, which you will almost certainly know of. 

They do have a very few locations on the US, but none anywhere near you, unfortunately.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, pH said:

Bakers Delight, which you will almost certainly know of ...

I never overlapped with Bakers Delight while in Australia.

Apparently they began in 1980 in Victoria and while there is presently a location about 10km from 'home' but I don't remember them having a presence in Brisbane before I left in 1986. Mum and dad frequent smaller bake shops closer to home.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

So is there a large fleet of Jubilees in production with all the Empire names. 

The first steam loco I ever saw that wasn't black was "Invincible". It was shunting at the Saucel goods yard in Paisley. I was most impressed. I think I was six. Had to look up the meaning in a dictionary when I got home.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I find that very hard to believe - even unintentionally. I can remember my classmates discussing Pink Floyd at school at length, though with 'disco' in full swing I don't recall it at school dances.

Back in the day, before 'format' radio, Aussie am radio in the 1970s (even Auntie ABC) played pretty much everything - at least until punk* appeared.

* You had to tune into the brand new University-hosted FM stations to hear that.

It is possible they were played in my vicinity without me realising who they were, if so I never thought Hmmm I like the sound of this, I wonder who it is.  I had no interest in music until the ABC radio station Double Jay launched in 1975  which I guess would have been the equivalent of Brisbane's 3RRR?   The  first song played when it launched was "You Only Like Me Cos I'm Good In Bed" by Skyhooks which was banned from airplay so if anyone was going to play  them I guess they would have. Commercial radio alternatives were strictly Top 40 only so they did flog that  PF "kids chanting about education" song for a while, the pimply DJ even gave it a spin at one of our school dances, but it cleared the dance floor pretty quick - it wasn't a song to pogo or do The Funky Chicken  to, he had to entice everyone back with a replay of "Nutbush City Limits".

The late 70's and early 80s for me were mainly local bands, I think we did live in a bit of a self-sufficient (some may say insular!) alternative universe from the rest of the world back then  when it came to culture and cars, certainly Australian bands like The Angels, Split Enz,  Cold Chisel, Midnight OIl, Skyhooks, Radio Birdman, The Radiators and so on were huge and dominated most record collections (or cassette collections as it was at the time!) , and most kids dream car was a local - either a  Monaro or Falcon V8,  or a Chrysler Charger if you were a maverick or a "new Australian".

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

A good general Floyd primer...

Another link for my negative bucket list!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, polybear said:

You can check whether your data has been compromised and accessed by criminals on Genesis Market by visiting Check your hack | politie.nl and inputting your email address.

https://www.politie.nl/en/information/checkyourhack.html

Hmmmm, If I was a hacker, I would have just discovered an ingenious new ploy thanks to you!

Spam @polybearwith  scam emails saying  I was from the Dutch police or whatever  and "heres a link to click on to see if you've been hacked....."

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 10