The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning All,

I have a electronic subscription to three guitar magazines and yesterday the latest issue of GUITARIST was downloaded and opened this morning. The cover story? PINK FLOYD: The Making of a Masterpiece (50 years since Dark Side Of The Moon).

FIFTY YEARS!!!

Bluddy Hell, it seems that only yesterday I was at a HiFi demonstration at the Fiera Di Bologna listening to the just released Quadraphonic version of the album over special Quadraphonic Earphones. And for me and my friends playing anything off the album seemed an impossibility (but those were the days when cheap guitars [all we could afford] were almost unplayable and effects like the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (BC108), the Colorsound Power Boost, the Univox Uni-Vibe and the Binson Echorec II were totally unknown to us [not that we could afford any of the above had we known about them).

Since 1973, DSOTM has been weaving its way in and out of my life (several memorable “life events” had DSOTM as a soundtrack). Plus I can now afford the decent gear that made DSOTM possible - a couple of songs are pretty much on the way to being mastered (‘though I know that I’ll never sound like David Gilmour 😥 ☹️ [I’ll accept “close enough”]).

One final thought on Pink Floyd: although Roger Waters alone and PF without Waters have had a few moments of brilliance, they don’t match the brilliance of their collaborative work output.

Waters is an @rse he wrecked a great band with his own arrogance and it turned he wasn't Pink Floyd after all and as for his latest political spouting he'd do better to retire and take up golf............................or some other pointless exercise.....................

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

he'd do better to retire and take up golf............................or some other pointless exercise.....................

Building model railways?

At least with golf you do get a bit of exercise walking around the course. 

Edited by Erichill16
Add second part.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

More wallpaper dangled...task ongoing.....

The Bin Man deemed it appropriate not to empty a Certain Bear's recycling bins today.  T0sser.  The Council's Autosnottogram Form has been completed and they promise to return "within two days" to empty them.  I await with baited breath.

I see that our new King's missus is now to be elevated to the status of "Queen" rather than "Queen Consort" - which is the very term our own real Queen specifically desired.  Hmmm.  Bear predicts that Ginge choked on his Rice Krispies when he read that little snippet - judging by those being interviewed on the TV News last he's not the only one.

And finally....

It seems the British Public will not only be paying for a Police Force, they'll also be paying for Officers to investigate the Police Force....

Meanwhile, a Certain Bear is to resume Serious Crime once more, as those previously investigating that little issue are now busy investigating themselves.....

Fellow ER'ers can therefore consider their cake to be "on borrowed time".  The Cake Monster Cometh......

Bear Gone.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Somewhere we, er, SWMBO has a direct cut vinyl album of DSOTM, I bought it for her before we were married. Jeepers, 40/41 years ago. Yeah time goes by.

I still have DSOTM in LP format (on virgin vinyl [fnarr, fnarr] if I recall correctly), it’s not one of the original 1973 pressings (more‘s the pity) but it is still old enough to have come with all the goodies that were included in the original packaging* (such as stickers and a full-sized double sided Pink Floyd poster). DSOTM, some Perigeo albums (an Italian Jazz-Rock group), an original pressing of Quadrophenia (and a few other vinyl LPs) in my collection, but which have not been played – quite literally – for decades, but are retained because of their special emotional connotations. As most of them were released on CD (but without all the goodies☹️) I listen to them on CD.

Musically, we’ve never had it so good as in the 60s and 70s

* Do you remember when albums, especially the more ambitious two or three LP albums, came with a whole bunch of goodies – such as posters, stickers, and lyric books or storybooks (amongst other things). And the LP covers were pretty inventive as well: such as Jethro Tull is Thick as a Brick album cover opening up into the St Cleve Chronicle newspaper or the built-in zip on The Rolling Stones “Sticky Fingers” album. The MP3/streaming generation don’t know what they’re missing out on.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typos
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, polybear said:

…Fellow ER'ers can therefore consider their cake to be "on borrowed time".  The Cake Monster Cometh......

Bear Gone.

CCI GmbH has a series of newly developed cake protection/anti-polybear traps that they are happy to make available to ERs on an “at cost“ basis.

One of the most innovative comes from the CCI GmbH biowarfare division and consists of a very large and tasty LDC that contains a virus that is only activated in the presence of polybear gastric juices - at which point the virus starts to work and dissolves the polybear from the inside out.

Extreme? Perhaps. But in these days of significant cake shortages, well…. desperate times require desperate measures.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

Fifty years ago? I guess I would have been on school hols in my first year of infants. No specific memory although sometime around then my Dad wangled a business trip to New Zealand. Somewhere I still have the pencil case and ruler made from all the different woods of New Zealand. My sister got a Māori doll.

• Like 18

Apart from that song from about 1980 where all those kids whinge about not needing an education ( where are you all now! Huh?!) and the other  one with the  cash register  sounds at the start that current affairs shows love to play whenever they have a story about money,  I have managed to get to the age I am without ever hearing a single Pink Floyd song. 

I've come up with a kind of reverse bucket list which includes things that common sense says I should have experienced by now but due to circumstances or living in the alternative universe that is Australia I never have, and since I've managed to avoid them for so long so far, it is my intention to turn that into a quest to go on managing to avoid them until I fall off the twig.

Apart from not being exposed to anything  Pink Floyd, I also intend to continue to never see any Star Wars movie, ever play a round of golf and never read any books with hobbits in it.

Note, I have nothing in particular against any of these things.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I am now walking about doing a very good impression of John Wayne having just got off his horse after being the saddle for a week..............................................

Ouch.  I take you're not quite up to re-joining a scrum at the moment then TB?

• Funny 17