The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, southern42 said:

Thanks, again, WB.

A week later: On looking at it from the other side while driving past, yesterday, I thought I would have to get a pic of it - along with the daffs, of course ;)  On further investigation, I found out this variety is called "Flame". It is certainly colourful.

IMG_6796.jpeg.641cb651d8e3f3dac8a7213ed0661735.jpeg

IMG_6800.jpeg.8b412c25d40eeaedf5af4e3d7d9fc1a0.jpeg

Polly

The common name for it is Forest Flame because when they start to put on new growth, the red leaf, it looks like it's alight.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

I was engaged in the maritime equivalent of kremlinology today - trying to second guess Greek tramp shipowners. An exercise in futility alas. The Greeks are the best ship operators in the world and can make a profit from any ship in a way which is really very impressive despite all the old stereotypes. Everything they do has a logic, unfortunately it is a mugs game for outsiders to try and figure out what that logic is🤪

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

is a mugs game for outsiders to try and figure out what that logic

Aditi’s cousin was married to someone in “shipping” whatever that meant. When we met him he had been based in Greece fora couple of years.  Apparently getting death threats wasn’t unusual. They then moved to London and New York. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

They watched the approval process like a hawk and would scream about every tee being crossed, every i dotted and the rules being applied absolutely. That's fair enough, rules are rules (however, it helps if those doing the shouting understand the rules). However, after handover they were notorious for throwing tantrums over 'pointless' rules, oh dear........

Perhaps oddly and in a very different industry myself and most colleagues say the same about Italians.  We have four on our staff.  All very different in personality and character.  But all wanting i's dotted ... etc .... then wailing about "pointless rules" being applied to their apparent detriment.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

Door fitted ok, catch also fitted. Under stairs work now suspended for at least 10 days.

Most of the Grass mown, it went surprisingly well, grass / Alexander / jungle didn't block the mover exit once.

Found a new mountain to get past, those rabbits have been digging again.

Decided to use the spoil heap to help fill the raised bed, 4 barrow loads moved, maybe the same again tomorrow.

Long bath had..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

56 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Moaning!!! PAH!!!

Friday evening, we enjoyed a happy-hour to celebrate an indictment. During the evening it rained, then we got hail, THEN THE SNOW STARTED.

By Saturday morning we made the dubious distinction of reaching the THIRD SNOWIEST WINTER on record. Currently at 89 and a bit inches.

It was some very wet heavy snow, 6-8 inches around the area, clogged all the plows and our street weren't cleared till after 1pm.

Minneapolis proper was and still is a mess. 

They only cleared snow-emergency routes over the weekend and won't start sorting out the regular residential streets till today.

Saturday news of Jemma being STUCK in a hotel near Mar Blarch, having arrived at Heathrow at 6:30am, they got the crew hotel, and about an hour later she came down with either a stomach flu or food poisoning!!

NOT a happy camper. That has put her on "out sick" and waiting to feel good enough to then get a deadhead back home!

Saturday evening a Zoom happy-hour with friends in Arizona - they are re-thinking when to return here, waiting to hear there is NO MORE SNOW!!! Could be a while.

Sunday services for Palm Sunday went well though the street around the church were nuts parking difficult and some impassable. Most unusual, but due tot he snow being so heavy and wet, harder to clear quickly. Also, resulted in a lengthy departure after the services, grid-lock for 20+ minutes, such a mess.

Was sunny most of Sunday afternoon and the snow started to recede some. Hopefully, with warmer weather forecast, it will possibly disappear EVENTUALLY!!

Today, working, of course.

Weather a mild -1c getting the newspaper, high overcast and a high of 3c expected. Supposed to be 20c for a high by next Saturday!!! GOOD GRIEF 🤯

Carry on.

I was skiing at Alta in Utah a few weeks ago. They have received 823 inches of snow this season and it's still coming down.

It had all melted here by last week but we got another dusting yesterday. I drove back from town in a short-lived blizzard.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It is my nephew’s (the one who lives in Zurich) birthday today.  Apparently all he wanted for his birthday was an electric flyswatter and some history books. His partner had already done that but thought he would like an Indian cookery book. We have been reading reviews and had a good chortle at one of the recipes in a book published by the Dishoom restaurant, Bacon Naan Rolls. 

Just had to look that one up...

They give you the recipe, but will sell you the kit for one bacon naan roll...

£18!!! With optional extra of a vegan sausage?!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

Mrs iD and I spent a pleasant holiday in Malta one September (we always booked our holidays at the end of the summer season after the school holidays were over, but things were still open [no crowds]). After flying into  the main airport at Valetta, we had a helicopter transfer (in an old, and I mean old, Mil Mi-8 [and noisy as hell]) from Malta Island to its neighbour Gozo. After landing, we had a car waiting to take us to our hotel - the Ta’ Cenc (here’s a fairly recent review by the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/malta/gozo/hotels/hotel-ta-cenc-and-spa/).

As hotels go, it was pretty pleasant with the breakfast being rather good (I the other meals must have been okay but I don’t remember anything being outstandingly good or outstandingly bad for that matter). What became a very enjoyable routine at the hotel was going to the breakfast buffet and stocking up our trays, then returning to our trullo to sit on the trullo’s garden patio and breakfast in the company of some of the local cat colony who had adopted us for the duration. Although I am not a cat lover, per se, I do enjoy the company of cats and the three or four cats who “adopted” us were most endearing (and very well behaved).

The hotel, pool and bar were very enjoyable, although in September the pool first thing in the morning was pretty chilly (as I found out the hard way)

There’s really not too much to do on Gozo, apart from hiking, visiting churches, going down to Victoria (the capital of Gozo) and enjoying trips around the island by boat. And, of course, just relax with a good book or two (and catch up on sleep).  This was perfectly fine for us, as we thus managed to avoid the entire disco Inferno /club/cheap pub scene of Malta island at night.

If @polybear goes to Malta on holiday, I’m sure he will have a good time, but it IS worthwhile being aware that there are four species of snakes which are indigenous to Malta (one day there was a snake in the hotel swimming pool, which sort of delayed the daily dip)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Matthew went to a Geography Conference for students in Malta during the Christmas holidays.  The delegates were housed in a Scout hut. There was no heating. One day there was  an excursion to Gozo. I don’t think Matthew or his friend Wendy fancied the look of the sea so sat in a cafe all day planning the next conference. That was in Seville. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2