The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

26 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

It was stinking hot with 100% humidity and no breeze at all today, a day to stay indoors. It's amazing how much difference even a light wind makes, it's always warm and always humid here but it's normal to have a light wind which makes it surprisingly pleasant once you acclimatize. However when the air is completely still it is awful and within seconds of being outside I find myself soaked. Luckily it's easy enough to stay indoors in air conditioned spaces or even ventilated spaces with roof fans. I find roof fans very effective, they don't make rooms any cooler but the air movement makes it feel much more comfortable. 

Bit like Southern Arizona. They liked to say "but it's a dry heat" which was true until the monsoon season. That started in early July and lasted into September. If the A/C in your house konked-out you were in a motel PDQ.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Interesting website from @TheQ.   There will be another few hours lost later on then!

It fails to mention the Radar that A Certain Bear spent many moons working with.....

....nor the infamous Blue Circle Radar...🤣

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

........as I found a sawn off shotgun there. 

Do you still have it by any chance?  Just askin' for a friend....😉

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I think my back problems started three or four years after moving into this house when I got rid of a garage......

Bear is strugglin' to understand this bit....

You HAD a Garage BUT GOT RID OF IT??

😭

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

P.S.  Back in the 80s. IIRC 6yd skips cost me about  £36.  In 1966 when I started work we supplied them and the charge was just £6 each!

If a 6 yarder is the "normal" Builder's Skip size they're about three hundred quid a go now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

It fails to mention the Radar that A Certain Bear spent many moons working with.....

....nor the infamous Blue Circle Radar...🤣

Ah!  The Blue Circle radar.  Very robust although somewhat lacking in efficacy I seem to recall 🤣

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Bit like Southern Arizona. They liked to say "but it's a dry heat" which was true until the monsoon season. That started in early July and lasted into September. If the A/C in your house konked-out you were in a motel PDQ.

There's a huge difference between dry and wet heat. The temperature here seldom gets that hot (high 20's - low 30's is normal) but the humidity is constant. However, it is very pleasant on a breezy day. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It was stinking hot with 100% humidity and no breeze at all today, a day to stay indoors. It's amazing how much difference even a light wind makes, it's always warm and always humid here but it's normal to have a light wind which makes it surprisingly pleasant once you acclimatize. However when the air is completely still it is awful and within seconds of being outside I find myself soaked. Luckily it's easy enough to stay indoors in air conditioned spaces or even ventilated spaces with roof fans. I find roof fans very effective, they don't make rooms any cooler but the air movement makes it feel much more comfortable. 

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Reminds me of Barbados, Stepping off of the aircraft was like walking into a sauna. I soon adjusted to it but some of my fellow holidaymakers spent most of their time in their air conditioned rooms complaining of the heat. What did they expect holidaying in the tropics, snow! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Like Brian I was laying in bed this morning until late. The arthritis/sciatica is not troubling me at all at the moment, the advantage of the sunny weather. The cold nights at this time of year make no difference to the joints, just the humidity. One of my favourite holiday destinations was Malta. Very dry for most of the year and only extremely hot in midsummer (late July/August). Even in winter the temperature rarely drops below about 20C. and the rain only lasts for about an hour but can be very heavy.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One of my favourite holiday destinations was Malta. Very dry for most of the year and only extremely hot in midsummer (late July/August). Even in winter the temperature rarely drops below about 20C. and the rain only lasts for about an hour but can be very heavy.

That's one place (of rather a lot, actually) that Bear has never been - but I'd quite like to.  Is there a best place to go?  (Bear doesn't "do" Beaches, by the way).

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

First flight of our trip.. 

Manchester to Changi..

IMG-20221231-WA0002.jpeg.a2065e3775d7d536fa5ea91deebdf888.jpeg

One Singapore Airlines had just arrived and we were sat in the lounge with some..champagne.. as one does

Baz

• Like 19

Tested the hypothesis that wearing rain gear will stop it from raining. And,

With rain falling when I was preparing to go out, I didn't get a drop of rain while walking and actually needed sunglasses (which I didn't bring). The sunshine was bright from above and bright from below, reflecting off wet pavement.

Now in the late morning it is dark and raining. Yesterday saw a number of relatively brief but heavy showers on and off through the afternoon, often with small hail. Much snow in the mountains though, despite temperatures much lower than 'normal', I don't think we'll see snow falling in the valley even though the forecast suggests that it is possible.

• Like 16

Yesterday we had heavy rain, snow, sleet and hail. None of the white stuff lay for any length of time. Now there’s a dusting of snow on the hills across the inlet from us, and it’s still falling in showers. There’s been no precipitation here, though.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1