The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Amex are less well liked by many retailers in the UK - it seems they charge higher rates and are slow to pay the bills to the retailer, with many refusing to take them.

They do and they do.

11 hours ago, polybear said:

So what did the bean counters at The Great Empire select for a suitable Business Card for it's Employees who travelled regularly?

I can go one worse. The bean counters at my old company chose "Diners Club". (The original credit card that no one takes.) Ultimately there was a revolt - travelers used their personal cards - and the T&E (travel and expenses) card went to MasterCard or Visa (I don't remember which).

• Like 8
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 26/03/2023 at 13:29, pgcroc said:

Then, how does the ANPR system transmit their data if you overstay or not pay? 

Are they already on 4G?

The ANPR ones I have used are pay on exit, except for one at an airport where you pre-booked a space and put in your flight number. That one let you out without question up to a certain time your flight had landed. 

I've used two ANPR ones this week. The first was at Llyn Brennig, which I think is owned by Welsh Water. Very easy system, no barriers, just cameras. When you put in the last three characters of your reg plate it shows a picture of you arriving with the time and the charge due. Pay by card and off you go.

The second was at a car park operated bt Denbigh Council. First it didn't want to let me in, then at the exit barrier said there was no record of my number plate entering. It asked me to select the time I arrived then told me the charge. I had a similar problem in the past at Gisburn Forest with one with the same type of cameras.

I don't do Pay by App. I just take my custom elsewhere, so if it's a shopping centre they not only lose my parking fee but the profit on my purchases as well.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My very nice dentist isn’t likely to be sending out surveys. All the dental equipment is high tech but all the booking system is paper based and payment is by cash or cheque. I haven’t seen anything more advanced than a land line telephone. 

My dentist (who has been treating me for about 25 years now) is on a retirement glide path. He recently brought in a new partner who is in the process of modernizing the practice. She is very good and thorough in different ways the older dentist is not.

Where in the old days I would be handed (and still can receive) an appointment reminder in the form of a business card-sized piece of card, today I got an SMS reminder of my appointment a fortnight from today. No doubt I will also receive an email insisting that I confirm my planned attendance. (There is an 'opt out' for the SMS.)

When I was last there all the paper files in the office were gone - the office is to be completely renovated (not needing file space) and the waiting area (which is very small) increased.

The front office software has an interesting user interface. The screen displays what appears to be a photograph of a dentists office (but may be a photorealistic representation). Everything is clickable to bring up different functions. Click on the wall calendar for scheduling, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Grammar
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

you can also get "Our mate"  in Kiwiland.. made by Marmite... for Kiwiland only? 

That stuff is the real Marmite re-named for Antipodean markets. 

Sanitarium produce numerous “copies” of international brands including “Weetbix” which are Weetabix but slightly thinner and milled a little coarser, with sqaure corners. 

They also produce “Marmite” which isn’t Marmite. Our Mate is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Went to the ivory sculptors this morning.    

Got an Email from them this afternoon; "Would I like to do a survey on how well they did?"    

What do you reckon .......

Let's see now.....

"I have to pay for your time - would you like to pay for mine?"

Bear here........

Lining Paper finished**  Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

(**OK, so not strictly finished - I've not done the triangular wall on the left side of the stairs, which is the one directly below the Banister; I won't be painting the Banister until ladder acrobatics are complete (in case I mark the paintwork), which won't be until the upstairs walls are all wallpapered and painted.  Once the Banister is painted then I can line and paper that final wall.)

I also got a letter of apology from Thames Water because they'd not managed to install a water meter within the 50 day window (I was wondering when they were going to show up); as an apology it seems that Bear's water is now going to be free until the meter shows up, which presumably will mean a rebate off the yearly fee.  Hopefully they won't be appearing anytime soon then....

Bear gone.

• Like 18

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

note Vegemite is owned by Kraft, having been very insulted, while in Saudi, by their extremely poor versions of Worcestershire sauce and various other condiments, there is no chance I'll try it.

It has been owned by the Australian Bega Cheese company since 2017, so try away my good man!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I was hoping to get some hot cross buns but they'd sold out so I'll have to wait until next Christmas before they're back.

The Co-op usually have them....

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Even calling it HamPshirE, is a contraction, it was of course pronounced Southamptonshire.

I’ll see your Southamptonshire (Sarfamtunsher) and raise you Hamtunscire…or even Hantescire. 

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the rain held off during my walk to and from the butchers,  it it rained whilst I was in the Trafford Centre, but as I was inside, it mattered not one jot. 

As for the rest of the day, well it’s been a day when I’ve done notalot, although I did read the Model Boats magazine that I bought today. Apart from that, I’ve done nowt, zilch, nada, but I’m retired and I don’t care, so there! 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 4

1 hour ago, PhilH said:

I’ll see your Southamptonshire (Sarfamtunsher) and raise you Hamtunscire…or even Hantescire. 

My understanding is that the settlement was originally Hamwih and then Hametun, gaining the South to distinguish it from the town in the East Midlands which gained the North; but that last bit may be a bit of folk etymology thrown in - although I am pretty sure I came across that in my degree course.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7