The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... people en masse are pretty ghastly (no matter where you are).

Not necessarily. But this exchange (from Men in Black) expresses what you mean regarding group think/mob behaviour:

Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.

Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, polybear said:

At last - sentenced to Transportation.  Big Tick

Whats with the English thing of always talking  down your celebrities, hoping they'll move elsewhere and so on? Same for your sports people and national teams  - its fatalistically assumed they are hopeless and will lose in the early stages.

Conversely, you are the opposite with your weather "Its a lovely summers day!" you'll say just  because the sun is out when in reality its about 20 degrees and you should all be wearing puffy jackets. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In contrast to yesterday, today is forecast to to be dry. The morning began with fairly heavy fog. The fog has now lifted but the sky is still heavy, though I'm starting to see some thinning revealing blue beyond.

For a change I have evening plans. Last night, my eldest offered my younger son and I tickets for a basketball game this evening. My son is very excited about it. The local team has not been doing well down the stretch to the playoffs. At this point they won't make it to the post season and are rumoured to be throwing in the towel, intentionally sitting all their star, starting players. All the same I will enjoy an evening with my son.

I now have to adapt to the whole "your mobile telephone is your ticket" routine. I've checked that the tickets are browser-accessible on my 'phone. I don't want to download the app, or put them in a NFC-accessible mobile wallet. Hopefully it will all go smoothly.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, PhilH said:

one thing I like about him is he has never hidden his love of model railways ...

His layout was on the cover of Model Railroader some time back.

In the accompanying story he describes how he brings everything he needs to do modelling* while touring. It's his way of relaxing on the road.

* kit building, painting, weathering etc for rolling stock and structures.

• Like 10
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Xxxxxxxx. Connectors, guess who got the wrong micro mini lightning, A B C  usb connector adapter cable.

Just ordered the right one.

My forepaws agree with PhilW's friend, the unfriendly Arthur it's. So does this gadget, when switched on it said rain immanent.

• Friendly/supportive 19

10 hours ago, southern42 said:

After months of revision mainly on the North, I remember just one relevant to the area question on the "O" level exam paper - a comparison of fishing off Newfoundland and Japanese waters

Fishing off the grand banks of Newfoundland was an essential part of European colonization of North America and the rise of mercantilism. The Basque were likely fishing there before Columbus.

Investors in British West Country fishing companies didn't like the colonists fishing on the Grand Banks.

Cod represented 35% of the revenue for Colonial Massachusetts Bay Colony. Trade (in dried cod) with French Caribbean slave plantations (rather than British slave plantations) led to the Molasses Act of 1733 - a early precursor to the Revolutionary War as it escalated to the Sugar Act of 1764* and bans on trading with the French.

* in the wake of the Seven Years War

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I remember also in the pre O level year studying farming and fishing in NW Europe. In those days Norway was a fairly poor country and there was much emphasis on how they got two hay crops a year and how they preserved fish. Oil has since made a significant change to their economy. 

The so-called "Cod Wars" over fishing rights between the UK and Iceland were very much a thing in the 1950s and 1970s.

I don't remember what constituted Geography in my formal schooling. As youngsters we were obliged to learn the locations of countries on a map, their flags and capitals and I do remember later doing assignments on Japanese culture/geography of the four main islands and the states of Mexico. I'm sure there were others. By my junior/senior years (11th / 12th grades) I did not take "Geography" as a subject. I'm not sure it was even offered.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Conversely, you are the opposite with your weather "Its a lovely summers day!" you'll say just  because the sun is out when in reality its about 20 degrees and you should all be wearing puffy jackets. 

Ah yes, but when it's a blue sky and the sun is shining then even if the temperature is slightly low you can easily stay warm with a puffy jacket etc.

But if its 35 degrees then staying cool gets a lot more difficult than it takes to stay warm - it'll involve aircon, staying in the shade or being in a pool etc.

This Bear would much rather do something to stay warm than have to do something to stay cool - it's a lot easier.

In other news.....

Nottalot this afternoon or evening - Tigger bounce busted for some reason, plus the Beary Body is achin' a bit, despite Trammies/Pink Pills/Paracetamol.  Hopefully it'll buggeroff overnight.

Bear gone.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I did not take "Geography" as a subject. I'm not sure it was even offered.

Aditi was employed as a geography lecturer in 1975. While she was on maternity leave in 1991  the college decided to stop offering geography as it was too expensive. Rather than be unemployed she reinvented herself as a sociology lecturer. She then gradually moved over to the Higher Education part of the college, teaching sociology and research methods, not geography. Matthew’s first degree was  Human Geography which pleased his Mum!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In the accompanying story he describes how he brings everything he needs to do modelling* while touring. It's his way of relaxing on the road.

* kit building, painting, weathering etc for rolling stock and structures.

I assume that is why he was at Woodpeckers. He's touring her ATM so I guess he ran low on humbrol rust or something.

I like the idea of all the weird powder housekeeping would discover whenever  he vacates the room, must run the local police drugs labs ragged. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ah yes, but when it's a blue sky and the sun is shining then even if the temperature is slightly low you can easily stay warm with a puffy jacket etc.

But if its 35 degrees then staying cool gets a lot more difficult than it takes to stay warm - it'll involve aircon, staying in the shade or being in a pool etc.

This Bear would much rather do something to stay warm than have to do something to stay cool - it's a lot easier.

In other news.....

Nottalot this afternoon or evening - Tigger bounce busted for some reason, plus the Beary Body is achin' a bit, despite Trammies/Pink Pills/Paracetamol.  Hopefully it'll buggeroff overnight.

Bear gone.

I like how you obviously had in mind the intention of including an example of a Really Hot Day ......and picked 35!

• Like 11
  • Funny 2