The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

And more stupidity from supposed Adults .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65071989

1,600 different books across 32 states were banned last year, the vast majority at the request of a few right wing groups who seem intent on creating some kind of "Fahrenheit 451"crossed with "The  Handmaids Tale" kind of place -  ironically, both books that they'd probably  deem unsuitable to read!

Not wanting to make light of the tragic shooting event but reports suggest the preparator "identified as transgender".

I recall a comment made a few months  back by a commentator I watch  on youtube along the lines of "The only way that the Republicans are going to do something about limiting anyones access to  guns is when the transgenders start using them!"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Just back from ( ok a while back, ) TES and Coes, cold wet drizzly, beef chunks on offer, sounds like beef stew then, beef seared in pan, potatoes and carrots given help in poppety ping, then added to pot. Onions chopped and in pan.. Then beef added, now on a simmer for an hour, though I'd have preferred longer..

There is an old end of terrace, one up one down, I pass on the way to town.

They knocked down an old addition of a lean to brick kitchen on the side.

Then they knocked out the front door to double size.

Then put a two story extension on the side, foundations 3 feet deeper than the old building.

Now I notice the roof is off, the back wall is gone, and as has the old side wall from house to lean to...

That leaves just part of the front wall being original. Wouldn't it be easier just to have started from scratch?

Perhaps owned by a big   fan  of facadism? 

image.png.61a2c3d11bc288ed8b131096a4c6b859.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

The word is they're huntin' someone who's been fencing the proceeds from the Brinksmat Job.

Not me Guv, I didn't do it, honest!  Shortly after my post India 99 moved on to circle the next road.  Word on the street has it that they're trying to track down an annoying barking dog.  🐶

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

34 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes but what caught her was the fact she didn't issue a warning beforehand. I suspect this is just an excuse to get rid of her.

I was a bit young at the time  but the older kids in our school went on an excursion to see "Hair".   

Or was it  "Godspell...?"

Ah, the '70's - what a nude time it was!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11

Chewsday...

Busy over the weekend starting with the drive to Iowa for the funeral.

Sunday managed to get back in time for a great concert at our church.

Band, the "Fabulous Armadillos - "What's Going On" featured music from the Vietnam war era and was excellent. Guitarist played "Purple Haze" as if he was Hendrix himself, not a note wrong best anyone could tell, he was incredible!

Yesterday, work reared its ugly head and dealt with that.

Today, work again but slowing after the requests yesterday. Later a need to run to the grocery store AND the falling-down water store are required, I'm all out of GIN!!!

Weather over the weekend and last two days has been sunny, snow still disappearing, but slow as the temp highs only around +2c, overnight down to -8c still

Onward.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

@Coombe BartonHave you come across Anna Lapwood on your musical travels?

There's plenty more of her as a harpist, organist and IIRC Director of Music at a Cambridge college- at 27!

I'm also rather in love with her. #sigh#  She seems to be a most remarkable young woman, massively talented and very pleasant to boot.

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, PhilH said:

71000 without a doubt. Just about the smoothest delivery of power I've ever experienced of all the engines I've driven or been on. 

IF it was bottomless then I could restore my own, which'd be a Victorian Railways S class - its what a Batloco  would look like if Batman was the Fat Controller. 

image.png.d562a72f72be9633d9fc6220485ab354.png

I would have my work cut out for me though, given this is all thats left of any of them...

image.png.e55bb9e04f9124c70e206f2efe748b3e.png

If I had to stick to already preserved, I'd go one of the many restored Streamliners we have - they are exactly what every kids idea of a diesel loco  looks like. Just have to choose what colour I want.

image.png.6f0dc807be92989325866e025f9f5efd.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

IF it was bottomless then I could restore my own, which'd be a Victorian Railways S class - its what a Batloco  would look like if Batman was the Fat Controller. 

image.png.d562a72f72be9633d9fc6220485ab354.png

I would have my work cut out for me though, given this is all thats left of any of them...

Jeez, that is seriously pig ugly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not wanting to make light of the tragic shooting event but reports suggest the preparator "identified as transgender".

I recall a comment made a few months  back by a commentator I watch  on youtube along the lines of "The only way that the Republicans are going to do something about limiting anyones access to  guns is when the transgenders start using them!"

Ronnie Barker, back in 1976:

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, PhilH said:

71000 without a doubt. Just about the smoothest delivery of power I've ever experienced of all the engines I've driven or been on. 

Not yet had the privilege.  My candidate would be 87101 under the knitting.  Without knowing what was up-front I enjoyed an incredibly smooth run from Euston to Glasgow with none of the usual jerks, bumps or jolts all too common at start-up and through the neutral sections.  The thyristor control on that loco was, apparently, very well liked.  

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Two things.  

One - the trip to Hell-stinky is booked and paid for.  No-one is allowed to go sick although it is also insured.  We meet and stay in the same hotel as Dr. SWMBO's brother, partner-in-law and their lad.  She is half-Fin, half-Estonian and all-Aussie.  The others are true-blues.  

Two - I was Googling some of the finer wine and cheese providers out of interest when the intertubes asked me this: 

"Artisanal"  - Did you mean "Art is anal" 

No.  But it sometimes is!!! 

• Like 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We once had an RAF liaison  guy working here who was a great fan of the Beverley (cos he was an ex  loggie..) . Actually he was probably the only fan, having another look at it.

image.png.e347fb68578e7bd5983cf9c903e03453.png

I've got a soft spot for the Beverly because the first time I ever flew was in one when I was an Air Cadet aged 13 on summer camp at RAF Topcliffe. We were seated up in the tail boom and it was noisy and uncomfortable but I thought it was magic.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

As if 12 and 13 year olds don't know what the male body looks like .

There may be American* 12 - 13 year old females who don't know, or who haven't seen "in the flesh" as it were.  The Bible Belt can throw up all sorts of strange ways.  

* Other nations too of course but this refers specifically to an American event.  

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1