The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'd also add the DH. 91 Albatross Transatlantic airliner/mailplane of 1937, 4 engines and a similar construction technique to the Mosquito. A lovely looking aeroplane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Albatross

We once had an RAF liaison  guy working here who was a great fan of the Beverley (cos he was an ex  loggie..) . Actually he was probably the only fan, having another look at it.

image.png.e347fb68578e7bd5983cf9c903e03453.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

In recent years there has been a lot of revisionism to restore the Hurricane to its rightful place in the history of the RAF.

There's no doubt that it did serve well. It was easier to build and repair and many pilots said it was an easier aircraft for an average pilot to master than the Spitfire.

The problem is that as with a lot of revisionism it is easy to go too far. The Spitfire was a much better aircraft, evidenced by the fact it stayed current with upgrades as a first line fighter until the end of the piston engine era. Mitchell took piston engine fighter design almost as far as it would go, a remarkable achievement for a pre-war design given the technological advances of the war. Willy Messerschmitt achieved the same with the Bf109 though the Spitfire accepted more powerful engines with fewer compromises than the Bf109 and having guns in the wings was useful for carrying a heavier punch than the Bf109.

Even though it was harder to manufacture we managed to make over 20000 Spitfires and Seafires, indicating that it wasn't the huge disadvantage some Hurricane advocates claim.

Ultimately both aircraft gave superb service.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The Hurricane was certainly easier to repair than the Spitfire during the B-o-B because of its construction. 

7 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

It was easier to build and repair and many pilots said it was an easier aircraft for an average pilot to master than the Spitfire.

The Mk.I Hurricane still had fabric wings. One imagines these were much more repairable than the prestressed metal wings of the Spitfire. Later marks of Hurricanes would have stressed metal wings, beginning in 1939 and by the battle of Britain most of the older wings were replaced.

Much of the Hurricane fuselage cladding was doped linen over wooden formers with longitudinal steel tubes in a truss. This was more damage tolerant and repairable than the metal skin of the (semi) monocoque Spitfire.

The Hurricane was cheaper and quicker to build (10,300 man hours, versus 15,200 for the Spitfire).

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

See below.

Those seven years are spent in very secure storage, the sort that even the bank of England would be proud.

Pheww.. At first I was a bit worried at the thought of the government being able to see how I'd voted, but now  knowing that they keep it somewhere safe makes all the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It has, incidentally, been decreed within Australia that an otherwise correctly-completed ballot paper shall not be deemed invalid if it also contains such “artwork”.   An incorrectly filled paper may, however, cost you $20 for an invalid vote, whether festuring “artwork” or not. 

How do they know whose ballot is incorrect?

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I’ve just learned something - many migratory birds fly at night. About 90 minutes after sunset, my son and I were outside looking at the planets currently lined up near the moon - at least those still above the horizon. A satellite passed overhead and as we followed it, it passed across a faint white ‘V’ in the sky. The ‘V’ moved quite quickly, changing shape as it went - we realized it was a vee of birds.

I googled this (as one does) and apparently night flying by migrating birds is very common:

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/september-october-2013/listening-migrating-birds-night-may

I did not know!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

.…The reality was that the Air Ministry could not keep up with the rate of change in mid-1930s aircraft design evolution….

Would it be unkind of me to suggest that this was perhaps because the Air Ministry at the time was run by very nice Gentlemen with classics degrees from Oxbridge as opposed to being run by Oiks who were engineers, mechanics, pilots or other “trade”? 🤣

On a serious note, it’s sobering to note how many great British military machines were built despite the relevant ministry not because of it….

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.  Still koffin. The goo is thicker now,  I accept this is TMI.

The glutinosity of the goo is important, but so is the colour*. THEN it's TMI...

* Frothy white, off white, dark yellow, green...

(For some reason my tablet won't delete your emoji, I'll deal with that when I get to a proper computer!)

Edited by Hroth
There you go!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull, dismal and has been damp with further outbreaks of rain expected.  7°C up to 10°C - possibly.

The Back and Hip are still b#ggered so I'm hobbling about again.  Apparently we "need" to visit the local High St today.  This is a rare event but I'll see how I feel after breakfast before committing to it.

I was born in WGC, my grandparents moved there after being bombed out and that's where Mum & Dad met. .  A friend of Grandad worked for DH at Hatfield and gave me a beautiful solid metal (not sure what sort) model of a Mosquito with revolving props.  Over time the props got damaged (small child trying to make it fly) and eventually was lost.  Wish I still had it.

Timetogettamoveon.

Avagoodun,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We once had an RAF liaison  guy working here who was a great fan of the Beverley (cos he was an ex  loggie..) . Actually he was probably the only fan, having another look at it.

image.png.e347fb68578e7bd5983cf9c903e03453.png

One of the curiosities* in the Ladybird Book of Aircraft (1964)

image.png.693be2330cee1df0e5a41dbd1566c81e.png

Looking at the Bev nowadays, the thought is "when is it going to pup, and what'll come out?"...

* A most unbecoming rear view on pages 36/7, shared with the Avro Vulcan...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Watching a Beverley do a very short landing run, a reverse back to where it landed and then taking off was a standard display at airshows when I was young.

That and the Argosy with the nose and tail doors open so that you could walk through in the parade area..

Or the delivery of a "bladder" of Avgas from an Andover for use by a Harrier...

Happy days!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s raining, pah! We are off to the RHS Bridgewater gardens today, we were hoping to have a walk through the woodland gardens, but that’s not going to happen now, so it’ll be just a tea and a slice and a quick look in the garden centre then. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

Greetings all from a grey and drizzly LBG where I have a milder version of the cough and cold that NHN has - Elder Lurker has had it for over a week and was off from work with it bt he seems to be recovering. Mind you he went in on Thursday last week but felt so awful he didn't go in on the Friday. Dealing with a 6 year old one-to-one with ASD is not a walk in the park. Still, at the end of the day, you give them back to their parents.....

I noticed the proposal of a TFL "superloop"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65091373

and initially thought that Rick would be having some more bus routes to ride to keep up his completeness levels. Then I noticed that some existing routes are incorporated. And then I noticed that the proposed southeastern route is in fact the route of the 269 already. So perhaps more a rebranding in the hope that they can convince punters that they are doing something to provide an alternative to shelling out on ULEZ than actually providing a new service!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14