The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Just heard from Steve, he's in Business Silenzio on this: 

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/frecciarossa.htm

They've just clocked 280kph and it's quite smooth.  Apparently Eurostar was the bumpiest and TGV smoothest so far.  Their last train is a regional service between Florence and Assisi but horror of horrors they will have to slum it it on that one, only one class of service!  I feel their pain.  😂

I always found the original Eurostar trains gave a very smooth ride, but the new Velaro trains are awful. They have a very unsettled and fidgety ride with harsh yay control. They are very much like the Class 350's on the WCML which had an awful ride quality with harsh yaw control.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Today I am finding that the Connatix pop-up video player (showing a Rapido Hunslet over and over) no longer presents a click-to-close button. this is truly obnoxious.

Ah, so THATS whats trying to pop-up  on my phone - it locks up the Google browser on my phone when it tries to pop up, it appears as a blank rectangle which freezes everything for about 10 seconds then get the Close/wait popup which also doesnt react when I press it for about another 5 seconds before google crashes. I really hate that  video pop-up  and will NEVER buy a Connatix due to this, whatever it might be ( I dont know cos I've never got to see the ad!)

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just had a verbal statement as to having solar panels fitted to the house, £10-11,000, ouch! I think not as I doubt I will be living in this house long enough to benefit from it. Now off to Tess Coes for some shopping.

Essex County Council have just finished another round of the Solar Together scheme which offered substantial savings. We joined in last years scheme. Just under £10000 for south and west facing roof panels, hybrid inverter and 7.2kWh of battery storage. Not forgetting the pigeon proofing  either!

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

really hate that  video pop-up  and will NEVER buy a Connatix due to this, whatever it might be ( I dont know cos I've never got to see the ad!)

I don’t see any ads on RMweb but on other sites if an ad doesn’t let me close it, I too won’t buy anything from the advertiser. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

What size system is that? Here the price range is usually $800 to $1200 per KW so a 6.6KW system should cost between $5280 and $7920.

Given Deltics arent of interest to anyone down  here given we have  awesome locos in prettier colours  I'm going to use the Big Mac index, which is based on the theory that a Big MAc should reflect local costs in each country and therefore be able to be used to indicate relative  buying power to convert it from Australian Big Macs into UK ones.

This gives the UK equivalent of 412 pounds to 619 pounds per kw, with a 6.6KW system therefore costing the equivalent of 2724 pounds to 4087 pounds.

HMM, either you were quoted on a large system or one with battery storage,  or the Big Mac maths conversion theory   is wrong or things in the UK do cost shedloads, yet the perceived wisdom of visitors is  apparently "Australia is so expensive!" so probably its my maths. 

Anyway, there would probably be some kind of solar rebate scheme there like many other countries have? Check that out, here depending on your income you are eligible for a rebate of up to 50% of the cost up to $2500 ( 1290 Big Mac pounds) and a 3 year interest free loan to cover the rest. Your government would have to have  something similar I reckon.

The price of the solar panels includes installation and surveying the roof. Installation requires the use of scaffolding (not cheap) and I opted for battery storage. There is enough room on the roof for eight panels of 400 watts each giving 3.2 KW . backed up with a 4.2 kWh battery that can also be topped up at off peak rates. They have estimated that I will have an excess of energy over my usage, 

The system we have designed for you will generate ~ 3110.4 kWh per annum.

Assuming you use 67% of the energy generated, in the first year alone you will save £729.39 on electricity and make £56.45 from exporting energy

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The price of the solar panels includes installation and surveying the roof. Installation requires the use of scaffolding (not cheap) and I opted for battery storage. There is enough room on the roof for eight panels of 400 watts each giving 3.2 KW . backed up with a 4.2 kWh battery that can also be topped up at off peak rates. They have estimated that I will have an excess of energy over my usage, 

Assuming you use 67% of the energy generated, in the first year alone you will save £729.39 on electricity and make £56.45 from exporting energy

We await our survey but 9 panels plus batteries will be less than £2k!

Baz

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

We obviously live in the 'wrong' area for that sort of price.  Scaffolding added quite a bit to ours but boy are they efficient!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That does sound "a little bit expensive", I've been looking into battery storage lately so have got some figures for here.  a 4.5 KWH battery is around $2800 installed , while a 3.2KW system installed will be $3830 fully installed, making $6630 all up. Thats  3,619GBP using straight conversion ( 3425GBP using the Big Mac conversion index). If my income was lower ( ie was retired)  the government would pay up to $2,500 of that, making cost to me as low as  $4130 (2250GBP)

Gotta say the per annum generation figure seems fantastic. Here for instance they quote the above system will provide 3979KWH per year, and that's using  Sydney's av  sunshine figures  of 2,628 hours per annum. The figures I found for UK cities quote 1,400 hours per year average..

(I had scaffolding erected for 2 days when they were replacing the roof on my back deck which is double story the year before last. Price of scaffold install, hire and removal was just  under $500...) 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Barry O said:

One battery like the ones already fitted to my system is about £1000. A hybrid (needed for battery) inverter for about 9 panels is well over £1000. That isn’t an installed price, just supplied.  The bird proofing for 16 panels was £550. It will be very interesting to discover what the under £2k system comprised.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

clay tile roof,

Chatting to our surveyor I gathered that clay tile or slate roofs incur a surcharge over “standard fitting”. As well as the weight of the panels there is another calculation for wind loading to make sure the roof wont be ripped off in a gale. Our roof and tiles were fine,  no problems. My biggest problem was tidying the loft, they needed access to install the dc wiring that came from the panels to the loft beams. We had 30 years of  “it may come in useful one day” stuff up there. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I spent most of the day in the garden, although I also managed a little time in the workshop as well, when I needed to shelter from the rain. By the end of the day I’d done a lot more weeding and I’d also made a copy of an oil reservoir for one of the Sherman tank’s suspension units, as I seem to have lost one. A start has also been made on a gearbox for the turret operating mechanism. It started to rain, just after we’d finished eating tea and continued to do so for most of the night, it finally stopped around 10 o’clock. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We produced 6400kwh in 2022, the only whole year figure we have so far. Essex is of course known for its glorious sunshine and clarity of skies. 

Well you did have that one hot day......

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well you did have that one hot day......

We didn’t know before we had the panels installed but apparently on hot days the panels are less efficient. A few hours of sunshine on a cold winters day does wonders for our battery charging. Anything in December, January or February here is something of a bonus. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We didn’t know before we had the panels installed but apparently on hot days the panels are less efficient. A few hours of sunshine on a cold winters day does wonders for our battery charging. Anything in December, January or February here is something of a bonus. 

Yes, the output voltage varies with the inverse of the temperature which does seem counterintuitive. The voltage is actually a very accurate way to measure temperature.

We have not invested in solar. Electric energy is not very expensive here which makes solar difficult to justify. Our electric utility company (it's actually a cooperative) does offer the option of buying panels at their solar farm but the last time I looked it didn't seem like a great investment - mainly because of our antiquity 😄

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2