The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

... they both seem to last about the same length of time

Do they leak as badly as Duracell? I may have had a bad batch, but a bunch that I put in the electric candles from Christmas 2021 had leaked when I put new ones in a few months ago.

(Yes, I *shouldn't* have left them there for a year, but they *shouldn't* have leaked either.)

I am going to have to go to the specialty battery store. After the supermarket, pharmacy, a box mart and a box mart/supermarket, I cannot find the battery I am presently looking for. It's not super unusual (LR41 or equivalent). 

I also want a (carpenter's) tape measure in metric and Imperial. Everything I found was Imperial-only. I was rearranging some shelves and got tired of doing mental arithmetic in odd numbers of quarters, eights and sixteenths.

I have a 3m metric one somewhere that someone left on my parent's letter box in the late 1970s, but haven't gone searching for it.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

... the dealership who were responsible for making good the result of them not using a spanner to tighten up the transmission drain plug ...

Your tale of lost transmission fluid (and consequences) reminded me of a time when the crack maintenance team didn't replace the oil filler cap on my (long ago) car after an oil change. (The car had been there for some other work*.) Fortunately the engine didn't seize but they did have to steam clean the engine compartment.

* Starter motor, flywheel, throttle body (take your pick, all of them needed work in a short period).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

17 hours ago, polybear said:

That's worth knowing; I'm amazed that the airline website doesn't detect where the home address of the traveller is during booking and block the transaction accordingly

Especially worth knowing for you @polybearbecause you will be able to put it to use planning your trip here to see the latest  bloody big spider that's been discovered.

It's a land that just keeps on giving.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Do they leak as badly as Duracell? I may have had a bad batch, but a bunch that I put in the electric candles from Christmas 2021 had leaked when I put new ones in a few months ago.

(Yes, I *shouldn't* have left them there for a year, but they *shouldn't* have leaked either.)

I am going to have to go to the specialty battery store. After the supermarket, pharmacy, a box mart and a box mart/supermarket, I cannot find the battery I am presently looking for. It's not super unusual (LR41 or equivalent). 

I also want a (carpenter's) tape measure in metric and Imperial. Everything I found was Imperial-only. I was rearranging some shelves and got tired of doing mental arithmetic in odd numbers of quarters, eights and sixteenths.

I have a 3m metric one somewhere that someone left on my parent's letter box in the late 1970s, but haven't gone searching for it.

Haven't had any trouble with either type but might just be luck. If you are not fussy you can get an assortment of button cells at Harbor Freight for peanuts. I've used them but I'm not sure I'd trust them in an expensive watch or a car lock remote.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis is grumbling again so its time to get out the Nurofen. 

Do you find Nurofen any more effective than bog standard Pink Pills?  A big box of the latter on prescription would no doubt be a far cheaper way to buy them, especially with a prepayment certificate.

7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

.......then we watched last night’s Question Time and as ever it was a lively debate.

Bear recalls watching an episode of that (or a similar) programme many, many moons ago; Arthur Scargill was on it and asked if it was sensible that a Mine was going on strike when so many others were being closed (this was long after the Big Miners Strike).

He gave chapter & verse about pumps being turned off in mothballed mines, allowing them to flood meaning they could never be resurrected again in the future; he also mentioned just how much taxpayer's money was being given to various other power providers (gas, electric, Nuclear) and said that if the coal industry was given the same as nuclear then (IIRC - it was a lottalotta years ago now) that in the case of the last one it was "you could have your electric for nothing - plus you'd get a cheque for a hundred quid (or whatever the figure was) a year".  He got a standing ovation - and the (Blue?) MP that was also invited to the show sat there and said nothing cos' everything Arthur had said was true.

Of course that doesn't take into account the long term issues of sustainability and environmental concerns.  Different times back then.

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Especially worth knowing for you @polybearbecause you will be able to put it to use planning your trip here to see the latest  bloody big spider that's been discovered.

It's a land that just keeps on giving.

If Chimpy thinks that a certain Bear is goin' anywhere near clickin' on the little white triangle in a red box then you're seriously deluded.  I'd never open Bear's custom built hinge-down loft hatch ever, ever again.  F. that for a game of soldiers.  😱😱

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. 

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Do you find Nurofen any more effective than bog standard Pink Pills?  A big box of the latter on prescription would no doubt be a far cheaper way to buy them, especially with a prepayment certificate.

I have pills on prescription, white ones that may be paracetamol. I use Nurofen when those don't work and when Nurofen doesn't work its out with the co-codamol.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It started off quite bright earlier, but it’s going very grey and looks like it could chuckitdarn at any moment. I shall shortly be setting off to collect Ava, who once again will be spending the day here with us. Our first task will be to finish making the cheesecake I started yesterday. So far I’ve made the base and added a thin layer of chocolate spread, next will be a white chocolate and vanilla filling. Finally, when that is set well add a layer of cherry curd and sprinkle grated chocolate on top of that. You may have guessed by now that we like chocolate! 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I have pills on prescription, white ones that may be paracetamol. I use Nurofen when those don't work and when Nurofen doesn't work its out with the co-codamol.

Further to the above. The arthritis has only got worse over the last three months. The first thing I noticed, just before Christmas was I was having difficulty getting out of the bath so I purchased a stool that fits into the bath. There was arthritis in my left hip for many years but now I seem to get it in th other hip as well

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Do they leak as badly as Duracell?

I had a batch of Duracell branded batteries that leaked and only lasted a short time recently. This has not been my usual experience with the brand. I wonder if they were counterfeit. I decided I will in future buy batteries with the grocery order rather than other online sources. 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from down ere. A good day was had yesterday. First a good meal with RaiWay modelling friends, then some trainspotting at Poitiers. This morning started with our video chat with the girls. Young Emily's phrase for the day, was "That's ginormous,' as a new sofa was delivered. We are due there next Friday, strikes permitting. Grandpa was instructed what jobs need to be done so. I've got tomorrow out what tools to take.

Ttfn.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have been prescribed Indomet(h)acin for gout which seemed to work whilst in Australia but doesn't do anything here.  As @iL Dottore and others noted some while ago it comes in different strengths meaning the Aussies may well allow a stronger version which is not authorised in the UK.  

I still have a few but use Nurofen when drugs are required.  Tart cherry juice works better than anything though.  Paracetamol doesn't seem to work and I am not able to get Co-codamol for this condition.  

The irony being that I can always get Indomethacin free of charge being over 60 but have to pay for over-the-counter Nurofen etc.  The GP won't prescribe that "because you can get it over the counter".  Or perhaps because, somewhere in the Great NHS Budget, their books balance better with me paying than receiving medication for free.  

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

It has been alternately raining drizzling and sunny, not necessarily in that order.

We,  Ben and me,  managed to go out in the dry and come back in a light drizzle with black clouds on the horizon. Just a short patrol as they've installed even more bird scarers in the fields.

SWMBO is out demonstrating weaving, spinning, felting or similar in the forum in Norwich.

She due back at 17:30, unfortunately I'd forgotten I need to leave at 17:30 as it's the winter sailing clubs annual dinner and prize giving and I don't know if she's got her keys.... I suspect SWMBO's 17:30 will be later due to rush hour traffic.

Five shelves were installed... Each one is a triangle with a point cut off, each one slightly different due to the odd angles of wall and stairs.

I couldn't work out how to clad the remaining undersides of the stairs as it's a 3 dimensional angle and nothing at 90 degrees. I was thinking on this on long patrol with Ben, the solution arrived in brain, two pieces each having a 90...  Smaller to handle over head as well... So that will be for Monday.

I tried to find a pair of shoes for tonight, I've found five shoes. 4 left and 1 right, none of them match, SWMBO has had a tidy up!!!! Just where she's put the others I don't know...

So I've been busy polishing up a pair of boots...

Tried to phone avantigas to update our account....

First taped words .. exceedingly busy  you could have a long wait.. after going through lots of options, last words.. This office is only open Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00...

Found a pencil, bit of paper and drawing pin, notice to be put up for SWMBO, "dinners in the popity ping"

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Found a pencil, bit of paper and drawing pin, notice to be put up for SWMBO, "dinners in the popity ping"

Thats assuming she has her keys...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I seem to be having a quiet evening. Our canine house guest has decided that I am the favoured one to be sat upon. Fortunately it is our neighbours granddaughter’s Chihuahua not her Pyrenean Mountain  dog. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... A friend sent me a photo of Boris looking at a mobile phone, with the caption “Boris Johnson has been reselected to stand in Uxbridge and South Ruislip. He plans to visit as soon as he googles where it is.” ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/03/18/new-infections-spiked-a-data-anomaly/

Nice bit of Verdelot!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I seem to be having a quiet evening. Our canine house guest has decided that I am the favoured one to be sat upon. Fortunately it is our neighbours granddaughter’s Chihuahua not her Pyrenean Mountain  dog. 

My friend used to dog sit a Chihuahua. He was a very friendly dog and belied their reputation for being a bit snappy. 

• Like 11