The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a chilly rock, -1c first thing, 3 now, 'feels like' 0.

Adding to the body count, I did see a Shanghai docker crushed by 5 tons of newsprint - further details not really suitable for here, and I am sure I have told the tale of the paramedics and the head - not one I witnessed myself, but demonstrated the black humour developed to cope with these situations.

Today sees the boss working from home, so I had better look like I'm doing something.  LOL

The new mattress is approved, a better night had by both, and with not having to rush up for work we had what counts as a lye in.  0730!

@BSW01 That overhanging contrate gear where the drive turns 90 degrees looks a bit dodgy?  I appreciate that's part of the original design, but it doesn't look very well supported.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I did see a Shanghai docker crushed by 5 tons of newsprint

Was it black and white and red all over?

Sorry folks.

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

@BSW01 That overhanging contrate gear where the drive turns 90 degrees looks a bit dodgy?  I appreciate that's part of the original design, but it doesn't look very well supported.

@New Haven Neil Fear not! There is a shaft that runs between the frames and the brass bushes at the ends of both bevel gears, but it’s hidden by spacer shaft in the photo, as can clearly be seen in the photo below, which is taken from a different angle. 

0C107CD2-3BBE-4AA2-BB7B-0EE9EBDC3FE0.jpeg.545f68f5319a0db26efa541daf95ecc2.jpeg

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

40 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

and I am sure I have told the tale of the paramedics and the head

One I heard of was of a motorcyclist coming down a steep hill at a considerable rate of knots, overtaking a car and going straight into another car coming up the hill.  His body went through the windscreen and his head...  Well, lets say the police spent some time searching through the bracken alongside the road.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Does anyone remember the old custom of keeping the front room of a house immaculately, nicely furnished and with the family heirlooms on display, but which was only used to recieve special guests (not the riff raff like normal friends and family)? Or was that a Carlisle thing. I remember growing up in the 70's and 80's my grandparents and all the grandparents of my friends maintained their front rooms as a showcase, the custom was dying out in my parents generation.

Not just Carlisle, my mum’s rellies up the valleys 20 years earlier (and they were legion) kept their front rooms immaculate but never used them except for laying out the dead.  Seemed an utterly pointless waste to me; the terraced houses were not exactly spacious and there was this best space utterly unused; life centred around the coal-fired stove in the kitchen with it’s permanently simmering kettle.  It was about keeping up appearances, a sort of lace-

curtain pseudo-respectability that everybody joined in. 

Back down in my middle-class 50s Cardiff world, the front room was still kept and span, but was much more integrated into family life, and used.  The term ‘lounge’ was not in vogue until late in the 60s, it was the front room, and we had a living room/dining room and a ‘middle room’ as well, a lot more space than a modern home would have.  The front room was used for tea on Sundays, the fire would be lit in winter, and mother would bang out singsong tunes on the old upright.  

A blind tuner would give it a going over once a year, and he could play properly!   The idea of a blind man being able to play piano at all fascinated me as a child, never mind being able to delight us with orchestral standard playing!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Salt on a table at school? Must have been posh, no condiments at any of the 5 schools I went to.

Bear's secondary school had salt + vinegar (not sure about pepper) - you did have to be careful that some tvrd hadn't loosened the sprinkler cap though 🤬; a certain bear had his din dins swimmin' in half a jar of vinegar on at least one occasion 🤬

Bear has been wieldin' all morning - all the brake shoes are now fitted 😀, though I did manage to bvgger the brake ratchet loop in the progress.  Turdycurses.  A replacement has now been formed and fitted, and in somewhat shorter time than the original.  The brake lever will be refitted shortly.

In other news....

Bear is currently watching the goings-on in The Big House; no sign of any discounts on LDC (or any other cake) for that matter.  TC's

Bear gone.

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's secondary school had salt + vinegar (not sure about pepper) - you did have to be careful that some tvrd hadn't loosened the sprinkler cap though 🤬; a certain bear had his din dins swimmin' in half a jar of vinegar on at least one occasion 🤬

Bear has been wieldin' all morning - all the brake shoes are now fitted 😀, though I did manage to bvgger the brake ratchet loop in the progress.  Turdycurses.  A replacement has now been formed and fitted, and in somewhat shorter time than the original.  The brake lever will be refitted shortly.

In other news....

Bear is currently watching the goings-on in The Big House; no sign of any discounts on LDC (or any other cake) for that matter.  TC's

Bear gone.

Sorry Bear I believe those are classed as luxuries so might be subject to a wild fall tax due to their excessive profits.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It was.......and not a nice sight.  My first view of a human's insides.

I have been fortunate (or have led a very sheltered life) in that I have never been involved in or seen the aftermath of a bad accident.   Furthermore the only dead bodies I have ever seen were ‘planned’ sightings of close relatives at or shortly after the point of death - in, despite the circumstances, not unpleasant or distressing surroundings.

For all of which I am most thankful.

• Like 12
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

One I heard of was of a motorcyclist coming down a steep hill at a considerable rate of knots, overtaking a car and going straight into another car coming up the hill.  His body went through the windscreen and his head...  Well, lets say the police spent some time searching through the bracken alongside the road.

Closed casket job?

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another bit of eyelid inspection this morning  and I'm feeling less tired. The arthritis and sciatica seem to be slowly easing but are still hanging about in the background.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not just Carlisle, my mum’s rellies up the valleys 20 years earlier (and they were legion) kept their front rooms immaculate but never used them except for laying out the dead. 

When I worked in Wales Gas one of my colleagues was a former Meter Reader. He recalled going to a house in the Valleys where said room had an occupied coffin in front of the cupboard containing the meter. He had to go under the coffin to read the meter.

I thank the Lord that I have never witnessed the things some of you have seen.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

There was a high profile case a couple of years ago where the master/captain of a container ship died on-board and the body ended up stuck in the ships frozen store room as no port would allow it to be repatriated despite the best efforts of the shipping line. In a way, he was lucky, there were other seafarers with life threatening and/or seriously debilitating injuries and illnesses trapped on-board because ports denied access to medical care and repatriation (in violation of legal obligations).

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Removed several bits of the old steering gear.

Started fitting new steering gear to BM, managed to round off the posidrive in the head of a screw, it's only half in the wood but so far all I've done is extract blood from a knuckle not the screw. There ain't a lot of room in there. Gave up as a bad job today. 

Cross bar removed, new handles fitted twice.. first position I tried, I got half way out and got stuck. Having moved the handles 6 inches further away, they now work.

As the forecast tomorrow isn't good, went for a sheet of ply today. Out side BQ still chaos with the road works.. though they shouldn't be called works as there was no one there.

Followed by Tes and Coes, absolutely no own brand tea in stock... 

Firelighters. Used to buy a big box of 60, now you can only get a box of 16, all individually wrapped, the cost seems about the same...

Occular covers inspection required.

Bye for now.

• Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh, OK then.  Back when I was a stressed NHS junior manager, I used to often have lunch with a couple of the paramedics who frequented our canteen.   They came in one day very down in the dumps, having just been disciplined with final warnings, having made comment at an RTC that one victim was dead.  They had a junior, junior doctor with them on experience and he had reported them as only a doctor could declare death.  The fact the person was dead was not in doubt - you can imagine.

Not long afterwards, they came in in hoots of laughter, and it turned out that they had attended another nasty RTC with the same doctor - a car under-ran the back of a truck, the driver was beheaded.  The paramedic retrieved the head, turned to the doctor and said 'tell me this one's not f^%$£g dead then'. 

I’ve been told a very similar story about a crewman on a rescue helicopter calling in a code indicating they had picked up a body, which required different arrangements on landing. When he was reprimanded, being told that he could not assess death, he pointed out that the body was in the state you describe.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I don’t know about you and your mates Andy, but a real object of teenage lustful desire for me and my chums was the Revox A77 Reel-To-Reel Tape Recorder (we’d congregate in front of the shops selling high end HiFi gear and basically drool). Way beyond unaffordable for us.

20230315_A77.jpg.88229d893fc7abb1113cee553cb65bed.jpg

Like this??? 😃 I couldn't pass it up. Sadly it's not exactly state-of-the-art now and even with high-speed FWD/REW can't easily find anything you may want to skip too.

I got the NAB hubs and always used some higher end 10.5 inch tapes for the music.

HUMP day.

Yesterday a very enjoyable lunch with Trevor before I had to cut it somewhat shorter with a panic call from the client re: more report changes!

Today, expected to be pretty quiet.

Weather, -2c first thing, partly cloudy, expected to reach as high as 4-5c today.

• Like 18