The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

@iL DottoreI'm pretty sure that the crimp should be on the side so that tin miners etc could hold them with their dirty hands and discard that bit.

Here we go:

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/history/#:~:text=Pasties were made with a,handle when they were done.

I've eaten lots of pasties in Cornwall and never found one with "mush" inside them.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

@The Johnster   Its ok to eat rabbit poo, if you're a rabbit...  Their food makes two passes through the gut, the first time it's excreted it's only partially digested so they consume it again to complete the process.  I've no idea how they decide which dropping is suitable for eating...

By the bye,  Ronald Lockley wrote "The Private Life of the Rabbit", which was a major source of lapine lore and eating habits, for  "Watership Down" by Richard Adams. 

Mr Squeak, our late lamented guinea pig, also ate his own pellets.  Cavy pellets are basically made of timothy hay, are quite dry, and do not smell badly.  I had no problem picking them up when spot-cleaning, though I washed my hands afterwards.

He was a brilliant pet, funny, intelligent, affectionate, and feisty.  It always amazed me that such a small thing could make such a big noise (hence his English name, The Squeeze, being of a Polish persuasion and a rock chick, named him Tilluc, little Till, in honour of Till Lindemann, the singer from Rammstein) (Rammstein are LOUD!) whenever anybody went anywhere near the kitchen and he thought there might be a treat for him in it, then even louder if there wasn't! 

I would suggest cavies are very suitable for anyone with a limited amount of space, but they like company so you need more than one if you are out at work all day and to take on the role of the rest of the world of guinea pigs if you only have one, and react to them, and spend cuddling time.  Mr Squeak liked to come up to the cage bars for his nose to be stroked every time you passed the cage; another favourite was to nuzzle my ear during cuddle time and then sit on my shoulder thinking he was Long John Silver's parrot.  He would stay there for some time, maintaining his perch even if I got up to make a muggatea, and try to distract me from whatever I was doing for fun.  Probably not good for rumbusticous young children, they are a bit delicate as playthings, but otherwise well recommended.  We'll stick to the fishes for now, though, a continuous soap opera of aquatice drama.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I have had stiff joints all day but not much pain, only the odd tweak. Its almost certainly down to the weather. My cousins in Chelmsford had a Guinea pig that was as big as a small dog. He was certainly king of the back garden, even the foxes gave 'his' garden a wide berth.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Mr Squeak, our late lamented guinea pig

My son was very fond of the Guinea Pig he had when young. It was quite endearing. It would shriek piercingly with great excitement whenever it heard the refrigerator vegetable crisper drawer (which it could not see) open. It had associated that sound with the imminent arrival of bits of lettuce or celery.

I don't know about the pellets but the whole cage does smell if not cleaned frequently. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Oops.. the Russian Air force really are flaunting thier flying ability.badly.

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hopefully this sort of behaviour does not lead to further escalation - which has been a plausible potential outcome of this whole sad conflict for a year now.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I've eaten lots of pasties in Cornwall and never found one with "mush" inside them.

That's because all the mushy ones are wrapped and  exported , labeled Ginsters .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My son was very fond of the Guinea Pig he had when young. It was quite endearing. It would shriek piercingly with great excitement whenever it heard the refrigerator vegetable crisper drawer (which it could not see) open. It had associated that sound with the imminent arrival of bits of lettuce or celery.

I don't know about the pellets but the whole cage does smell if not cleaned frequently. 

Spot cleaning, and new wood chipping bedding (not sawdust, the dust gets on their lungs) about every fortnite did ok for ours.  You have to watch for the bedding getting damp from urine, fruit/veg treats, and spilled water.  They have very weak pulmonary systems, and must be kept out of damp conditions.  Damp results in mould, which releases spores that are very harmful to them as well.  A constant supply of Timothy Hay and fresh water is essential; they must graze continously to stop their teeth growing and their digestive systems have evolved to allow for that. 

The Squeeze, who has kept them for many years from childhood in Poland, is something of an expert, and will assert that each is a very individual personality.  Some are bad-tempered and can easily bite your finger through to the bone.  Most will give you a warning, firstly by tossing their head (leave me alone, monkey boy) or a gentle nip (seriously, leave me alone now, you simian 'stard).  One has to be sparing with the treats, irrespective of the squealing, because too much sugar, starch, and the acid in fruit is not good for them; they are prone to digestive issues and stomach ulcers.

In Polish they are swinka morska, sea pigs, and in German meerschwien, same thing.  This, and our guinea pig terminology dates from the times when we were all great seafaring nations, and engaged in the guano fertiliser trade from the western coast of South America with windjammers round the Horn, cheaper and able to remain at sea for longer periods than early steamships which had to put in to ports for coaling.  This was a long and tough voyage, and cavies were bought live in the food markets of Valpariso and other ports, to be bred on the ships as a supply of fresh meat.  Any that were left when you got home were then sold off as pets, 'sea pigs' in Germany or Poland, and in the UK traditionally for a guinea, £1 and 1 shilling (£1.05p), hence guinea pig!

They are certainly endearing, and know instinctively how to play the cute card.  Mr Squeak was orignally bought for The Squeeze, who wanted one, while I was ambivalent.  Until the first time she asked me to hold him for her while she spot cleaned the cage, when he promptly climbed up on ot my shoulder and nuzzled my ear; I fell in love on the spot, as I would for anything that nuzzles my ear...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed that during my absence from ERs I missed NHN's birthday. Hence grovelling apologies and a belated Happy Birthday Neil with hopes for an improvement in the foot department.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

That's because all the mushy ones are wrapped and  exported , labeled Ginsters .

Many moons ago Ginsters used to sell one called "Pasty Italiano" and it was a certain Bear's favourite (it was basically a veggy-ish jobbie); sadly they discontinued it many. many years ago.  TC's

46 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Contrast that with a golden Lab some friends of ours had who once stole a two pound block of Stilton from on top of the kitchen work surface. It had to be put out in the garden as its rear end had become an H2S production plant.

Dave 

When Bear was a very young Cub he used to help the local Milkie at the weekends & Hols; one Chrimbo we were trying to deliver a fresh turkey, ham, double cream etc. etc. to an old couple down one of the country lanes.  They had a German Shepherd that was a real grade A 'steward to anyone but them - even the Milkie was extremely wary of it.  On the Chrimbo Eve they were out when we tried to deliver, so we went back again right at the end of the day to find they were still out so had no choice but to leave it on the doorstep but protected as best we could with empty milk crates.  We heard after Chrimbo that the couple got home to discover the remnants of the lot all round the garden; "Never mind", she said - "at least the dog had a good Chrimbo".

46 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Until the first time she asked me to hold him for her while she spot cleaned the cage, when he promptly climbed up on ot my shoulder and nuzzled my ear; I fell in love on the spot, as I would for anything that nuzzles my ear...

Bear'll give it a miss, but thanks for the offer.....

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just noticed that during my absence from ERs I missed NHN's birthday.

It's been noted by Donk.....

• Like 13
  • Funny 6

50 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

We must have been lucky. We used to have a black Labrador named Sam. We got him when he was twelve weeks old and he was really quick on the uptake and training him was a doddle.

Our Lab had a very sweet temperament but she was the dunce of her obedience class.

We did train her not to try to steal food from dining tables and counter tops. A slice of bread was connected to a precarious tower of empty soft drink cans with a piece of cotton thread. Grabbing the bread resulted in a clamour of falling cans - totally harmless to a big dog but frightening enough to teach a lesson.

56 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

... by the time he was only a few weeks older we could leave him in a room where there was a coffee table laden with food safe in the knowledge that he wouldn't touch any of it.

Not so much with our Lab - which the boys (who knew better) (re)learned to their chagrin when she (many years old at this point) stole their pizza from a coffee table while they were playing video games.

There was an upside to her food obsession. Occasionally she would slip out determined to do a runner. She could be tempted in with a banana. Her indecision was clear - she would look down the front stairs at the prospect of adventure and a chase, and back at the banana. She would look back and forth but usually chose the banana.

My cousin's dog ate a slab of butter (500g?) stolen from the kitchen counter top. It has digestive issues anyway but the effluent was apparently extra nasty for a while.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Which are, most embarrassingly, made in Cornwall.  Only by dint of an historical accident though - the factory is in Callington which is very close to the English border.  Maybe they couldn't get permission on the other side.  

What ever the truth if they aren't made in Cornwall now (nor since 2011) they cannot be called Cornish Pasties under protected food names legislation (PGI).  They can be called pasties or Cornish-style pasties.  Beware of imitations.  

https://www.gov.uk/protected-food-drink-names/cornish-pasty

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2