The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

since Covid we've rarely had a cold caller.

I had a cold caller only a couple of hours ago.  

Dr. SWMBO knocked the door because, having left my key inside it she was unable to insert her key outside.   Whoops.  

In other news there are "No Cold Calling Zones" designated around here by any of commercial landlords, tenant's / resident's associations or the local council.  We are supposed to be in one but there are very few signs up to this effect.  We do get random callers at times and usually after dark which is annoying because we can't see them properly at all.  A half-proffered identity card is next to useless in those situations.  

My usual response is a firm but polite "No thank you" to which many have a conditioned reply "But aren't you interested in ..... "  "No I am not and you are in a no cold-calling zone with CCTV fitted.  Goodbye"  

The number of callers has just started to rise after there being none at all in recent years - one of the few benefits of a pandemic.  We have had the photocopied "hand-written" letter from the JWs addressed to "The Home Owner" and which was dropped back into the post-box marked "Not known at this address" because we are renting.  I also return any junk mail with a similar style although it's not worth filling the Royal Mail's boxes with pizza or Checkatrade flyers which are not actually addressed even though they are delivered by RM.  

There is a "No junk mail" sticker clearly placed above our letterbox.  It stops nothing.  I occasionally manage to collar the delivery person if I'm quick enough.  The normal reaction is "No speak English" but they seem to understand "You are being monitored on CCTV" because they then disappear very quickly. In fairness those folk may be trying to support themselves and even families on casual and minimal wages for a thankless job which might be all they can get.  

The most persistent callers I have had to deal with here were Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Would they go away and leave me in peace?  No.  After several attempts at the front door one of which finally succeeded in getting them to move on they came around to the back.  It should be obvious that it's the back door and not the front of another flat.  But seeing me once again - this time with garden tools and a hose-reel within range - they finally beat a retreat.  Mormons, some call them.  In the case of those two individuals I would delete one of the Ms from that word.  

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There are some advantages to life on the mean inner city streets, and one of them is that nobody in the 12 years I have lived in this flat has ever knocked on my door to sell me double glazing, electric beds, vacuum cleaners, 'we're in the area, do you want your driveway resurfaced' or any such nonsense. 

bear doesn't get hassled much - if it's house related I just tell them it's council (it was, once); they seem to rapidly lose interest after that, for some strange reason.

The last one, some years ago, was a man in a pick up with a chainsaw offering to trim the conifers in the front garden; he got out of the truck, put on the hard hat (with built-in visor & ear defenders) for full effect then knocked on the door.  He did take no for an answer without any hassle though.

I did have a recent phone call from a window place though (highly unusual to get such calls) who, after mentioning windows, went on to ask "am i correct in thinking you're the house owner?"  I didn't bother replying as i was too busy blocking his number.....

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

What's the gadget the crankshaft simulator coffee stirrer is stuck to?  Looks like a pot. or a stepper motor.  Is there scope here for circular devices requiring accurate alignment (repeatably, using a stepper motor....) to fine tolerances ** whilst at the same time showing the position on, say, a control panel?

**I'm sure Puppers can see where bear is going with this......

It's a full 360 degree rotary encoder Rotary Encoder with a resolution of 1/3 of a degree (should be more than accurate enough for a 1930s motorcycle by getting on for an order of magnitude.   It can rotate endlessly in either direction, if for example, one wanted to emulate the story of a loco on the turntable spinning round and round at Hawes driven by the biting winds "Up the valley" 😀

Using said device you could create a servo (in the widest sense, not an R/C servo) controlled turntable with a simple dc or stepper motor and gearbox with friction drive to the table (the drive can't be coaxial 'cos some twit has stuck a rotary encoder on the pivot shaft).   A "servo" at it's simplest is a driving device  eg a motor/gearbox AND a device to provide either position, rate, acceleration feedback having been "driven" depending on what you want to control (but bearing in mind your professional background there could be a degree of teaching granny to suck eggs there and if so, apologies all round! 🤣).  The only trouble with this particular type of encoder is it just indicates movement in either direction as it happens.   It doesn't indicate absolute position which in my application doesn't matter because the first thing you do when you power it up is to give it two known reference positions.      Not an insurmountable problem in your application it would just make it more complicated.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Mormons, some call them.  In the case of those two individuals I would delete one of the Ms from that word.  

Ormons?

Nope, you’ve lost me there.

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica is not as bad as it was but its still there so I have to be careful not to set it off again. Just finished watching a zoom talk on the Post Office Railway, very interesting it was too.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

You mean lawyers who don't practice before the bar? 😉

I understand what you mean, but I would have thought people would use something of similar purpose like "NO CALLERS". 

Due to the naturally erudite nature of Australians, the standard sign you see around here says  "Hawkers and canvassers need not call". 

Confusing weather at the moment. Chilly Autumn starts to the days of 12 to 15C  fooling you into thinking you need a jumper on but by lunchtime its a pleasanter 30. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The most persistent callers I have had to deal with here were Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I would be surprised to see "Elders" doing missionary work themselves - they would be running the show. Young church members have an obligation to perform missionary work - though I don't know how this is managed internally - like the consequences of performing their mission (or not).

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Mormons, some call them.  In the case of those two individuals I would delete one of the Ms from that word.

They prefer not to be called "Mormons" these days - preferring Latter Day Saints or LDS.

I remember them ringing the bell in my youth but missionaries are uncommon for me now. I went to school with members of an expatriate LDS family. Oregon (like surrounding states, particularly Idaho) have a higher proportion of LDS than 'average' in the US. Not nearly as many as Utah of course.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

'NO CALLERS' would, if taken literally as read, mean no callers of any sort, so no friends or relatives, no mail, no deliveries of stuff you have bought and want. and no undertakers to remove you from the propety when the time comes, which might concievably arise because the doctor took the instruction literally, which in practice introduces enough wobble room for anybody to decide on the basis of their own preferences that they are not a caller in that sense, and knock on your door.  

Perhaps that is why people here use a "NO SOLICITORS" sign? It seems to be effective. Arguably it is "stay off my property" warning without discouraging people who are invited or otherwise welcome - like parcels delivery.

It's probably worth noting that in the US (with some exceptions for porch mail boxes) do not have mail delivered to their door - but to a mail box on a post in the front yard or a community box.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Due to the naturally erudite nature of Australians, the standard sign you see around here says  "Hawkers and canvassers need not call". 

You could confuse unwanted visitors using appropriate images, in case they can't read...

NoHawker_s.jpg.8c91c132c373bdc005b1c73add6f4470.jpg

NoCanvas_s.jpg.db17c64c38cd5b3c3ea672aa82e8bb33.jpg

I think they'd get the message...  🤪

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

In all my working years, I remember only 2 times that snow kept me from work.

We had gone to Ottawa for New Year's.  The day we wanted to return, the road was covered with a sheet of ice and there were several inches of snow on top. We couldn't get enough traction to push through the snow.

Another time, we had a major snow storm. I was taking the train to work.  There were small delays but when we were past the second last station, we stopped dead.  Trains were barely moving into Union Station.  I think they were clearing one track.  Every time a train went by it pulled more snow into the string of double slip switches that lead to the platforms and they all had to be dug out by hand again. I think I got to work between 2:00 and 3:00 in the afternoon and had to leave sonn to catch the train home.  Luckily, I had my lunch and ate it on the train.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The Americans cut theirs up in dry dock but seal off the reactor compartment then two the whole block up the Columbia to, IIRC Hanford, and leave them in the desert.

Hanford is an environmental disaster area with the potential to be much worse. It is also on the banks of the 5th largest volumetric flow of river water in North America.

Estimates of the costs to scrap USS Enterprise are $1.55B. (The USS Gerald Ford cost $13B.)

The Hanford Reach is arid but the surrounding area (which includes the Yakima Valley*) is very productive agricultural land.

* A designated viticultural area also famous for apples, cherries, nectarines, peaches, pears and plums. Yakima is about 50 miles from Hanford.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

In all my working years, I remember only 2 times that snow kept me from work.

Much depends on conditions and mitigation infrastructure.

I lived in Chicago for seven years. Lots of plows, 'salt'* and relatively flat terrain make a huge difference. Mayors lose elections if their snow removal investment is inadequate. I rarely had much of an issue getting around in Chicago in winter. I lived in an unincorporated part of a suburban county, but the plows still ran all day and night in my neighbourhood.

* Not just NaCl but all the other 'salts' used for snow mitigation

Portland is a different story - any substantial snow shuts the city down, every time. But the differences are for a large number of reasons that accumulate:

1. The investment in mid-west level snow removal equipment is not cost-effective for our very occasional snow storms
  2. Microclimates make prediction of exactly where/when/how much snow will fall much harder than the midwest
  3. Salt is difficult to apply effectively. Usually we have rain turning to snow. Salt laid down before the snow washes away. Plus there is a reluctance to use salt since it drains directly into the watershed and salmon habitat
  4. There are lots of hills here that get really icy
  5. In heavy traffic (like when everyone tries to get home the instant it starts to snow) tyres quickly compact unplowed snow into a layer of ice that would make a Zamboni driver proud. (I never saw this in Chicago.)
  6. Plows here tend to plow to 1" above the road surface; midwestern plows grind down to the surface. Why? I'm not sure.
  7. Ice storms are as common as snow

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

Brief and to the point.

But how has the Foreign Office upset you so badly?

I’m assuming The Bear is upset because the Foreign Office has not prevented the admittance of (ahem) “alternative entrepreneurs” - such as Captain Cynical - with the result that The Bear is worried that The Bear’s quality of life may be radically and significantly altered by things like CC’s fatwa on baked beans or the very real threat that CCI GmbH will buy up all the LDC factories and jack up the prices (CC says “one LDC for one Deltic sounds like a very fair price”).

Y’see, you just can’t trust Johnny Foreigner….

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 13