The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tony_S said:

They were fairly narrow about who they considered to be free people. Adult white men mainly. Other countries were not much better. Until the end of the First World War many men did not have the vote in the UK. It was 10 years later that women got the vote .My grandmother was in her thirties then. 
Now, I personally would rather be a citizen than a subject but it isn’t the popular position in Britain. So being a good democrat I have to accept it. 

The implementation was flawed from the outset, but the underlying principles were truly inspiring. Over the years the US has expanded voting rights like many other countries, abolished slavery, improved rights of indigenous peoples and improved civil rights. By no means a perfect society (none is) but I think the founding principles provide a rallying call around which people can meet despite many other differences and while it is easy to be cynical I do find those principles central to how American people think of the USA. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It is my understanding that the civic buildings were designed in that way ie to impress any visiting dignitary.  A bit of one up man ship you might say.

Unlike London where the buildings arose organically often have to fit into medieval street patterns.

I don't know about visiting dignitaries, but they impress me👍

A nice thing about DC is that it is a very walkable city. I'd love to visit in the blossom season, but I'm guessing most other people do too so it may get a bit crowded at that time.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm guessing not, but did you see the George Mason Memorial? (It's across the street from the Jefferson Memorial.) It is quite modest and when I last saw it (long ago) it was not well kept.

Jefferson (and the committee of five) largely plagiarized* much of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence (which you photographed) from Mason's Virginia Declaration of Rights (drafted May 1776). 

* open to interpretation, but the coincidence is uncanny.

I didn't visit the George Mason memorial, I'll include it on the list for next time, thanks for the heads up.

One of the memorials I find most moving is the Vietnam memorial, which I find a brilliant piece of design, it captures the tragedy of war and provides a memorial to those who fell without exulting in war and conflict. I remember it received a lot of hate and even today many criticise it, demanding a more conventional memorial with statues of soldiers and inspiring sculptures. I may be contrarian but I find it to be a model of what a war memorial should be, focused on those who fell and avoiding statements about the war.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'd love to visit in the blossom season, but I'm guessing most other people do too so it may get a bit crowded at that time.

Exceptionally crowded from what I understand. The local high school (and the Portland waterfront) have Sakura (flowering cherry). They uniformly explode in blossoms. It would be really special to see the tidal pool in DC when they are in bloom.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

58 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

However, today I could not get peppers, tomatoes or cucumbers at Sainsburys, Aldi was also out of tomatoes and cucumbers, the peppers were tiny.  Then I went to an alternative Aldi, it too was missing the missing items, Asda had a cucumber but there was not even a space for peppers and tomatoes, as if they never existed.  Finally got my peppers in another Aldi (we have lots within 5 minutes) but no tomatoes.

If I wanted to stray into politic I could here, but this article will suffice.

https://www.goodto.com/food/food-news/tomato-shortage-uk-why-supermarkets-running-out

• Informative/Useful 11

I didn't visit the George Mason memorial, I'll include it on the list for next time.

It is modest "as befitting the man" according to the National Park Service. It is not far from the FDR memorial.  The western edge of the tidal pool (north to south) includes the MLK, FDR and George Mason Memorials.

One of the memorials I find most moving is the Vietnam memorial, which I find a brilliant piece of design, it captures the tragedy of war and provides a memorial to those who fell without exulting in war and conflict. I remember it received a lot of hate and even today many criticise it, demanding a more conventional memorial with statues of soldiers and inspiring sculptures. I may be contrarian but I find it to be a model of what a war memorial should be, focused on those who fell and avoiding statements about the war.

Specifically it is the  "Vietnam Veterans Memorial" (with an emphasis on the veterans). It was commissioned to honour service and sacrifice - rather than glorify war, and was designed by an Asian American woman (of Chinese descent). It is deeply loved.

It set the tone for 'experiential' memorials. The Korean War Veterans memorial* is similarly immersive, as is the FDR memorial, where the viewer becomes surrounded by the monument and the scale is far more intimate.

* Close to the Lincoln Memorial.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

this article will suffice ...

Better quality tomatoes are harder to find in the US because of drought conditions in California. Eggs continue to be expensive as a result of reduction of laying stock due to Avian Flu epidemics.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

During lockdown, apart from the pitiful bulk buying of loo roll, I don't remember any bad shortages, ok choice was restricted but there weren't shortages of staple items.

During the pandemic there were all kinds of random shortages here - never across the board and usually related to specific brands. There are fewer choices and there is less 'abundance' than there was pre-pandemic.

I particularly notice seasonal items - like confectionary at Christmas or Easter. The range of choices is far less abundant. Big brands are still represented. Other seasonal stocks have been impacted by various supply chain issues. During the pandemic there were serious backlogs at US ports and production of non-essential seasonal sales goods in the PRC has been impacted by the ongoing pandemic. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

6 hours ago, PupCam said:

A Chug is a "Bimble with purpose"  conversely a Bimble is a "Purposeless chug".

Of course, a Full English can be consumed as part of a Bimble or a Chug 😂

Not in Scots it isn’t!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TheQ said:

Interesting boat  behind, it appears to be a Dutch 505, H was the old Dutch country identification letter, ( now NED), Whitstable Yacht club, founded 1904, appears to be very successful, with a large dinghy fleet. Though their fees are over double my clubs.

Interesting.  I noted the "H", but wondered if it was a Flying Dutchman (looks like there might be a "F" just above the "H".  I think Whitstable held one the early FD World Championships.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 6

16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The warm temperatures ...

Online suggests ~13°C for parts of Essex. Not what I think of when I hear "warm" - though pleasant if the sun is shining.

It's around 9°C here today and overcast. Certainly not 'cold' but cool enough that (besides my daily walk) I don't want to spend a lot of time outdoors. Weather forecasters are teasing us with the possibility of wintry precipitation on Wednesday.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

This article caught my eye as relevant to the interests of some ERs:

CNN: ‘Fire-breathing demon’ dog Ralphie returned to Niagara shelter 

(Apparently a French Bulldog that has been returned to the shelter after three different attempts at adoption.)

Particularly in terms of @Winslow Boy 's "Devil Dog" and @Erichill16 's Hovis.

Amazon had a Superbowl commercial featuring a post-pandemic, badly behaved lonely dog.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The dog I sponsor with a dog charity is clearly “in for life” as not suitable for rehoming. He has several “issues”. Considering for other dogs, it is things like biting, no recall, hates men, hates cats, unsafe with small pets, needs escape proof garden with no nearby dogs and they are still up for adoption I can’t imagine what Bubba’s “issues are.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

We weren’t at the MREH as long as we’d exit be, in fact we could have come home at 11:30, had we not had to wait for a prescription to be dispensed! However, this mother I said this appointment was for Sheila’s post op assessment, it wasn’t, it was for a corneal review. She was seen almost exactly on time and had eye tests, eye scans, etc. the end result is that she has been put on the list for a partial corneal transplant, the waiting list for this is approximately 12 months, but there’s always the possibility of an earlier date, if a cancellation comes up. 

As predicted this morning, the rest of the day was spent resting on the sofa, I finished off a book about female journalists in WWII that I’ve been reading, whereas Sheila surfed the internet and read her kindle. 

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of Zinfandel, whilst we watched a film called ‘Dark Water’ about the lawyer who took on the DuPont company, who’d been dumping chemicals and poisoning the people of the town their factory was sited, it was well worth watching, if only for the fact that it highlights the corporate greed that drove it all. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

CNN: ‘Fire-breathing demon’ dog Ralphie returned to Niagara shelter 

(Apparently a French Bulldog that has been returned to the shelter after three different attempts at adoption.)

Particularly in terms of @Winslow Boy 's "Devil Dog" and @Erichill16 's Hovis.

Amazon had a Superbowl commercial featuring a post-pandemic, badly behaved lonely dog.

Hovis certainly isn’t a fire breather, she very good with humans, it’s other animals that she has issues with. 
Connecting with the Amazon part of your reply, we were hoping that Hovis would make a good ‘playmate’ for Sydney but unfortunately she doesn’t ‘play’.  Fortunately at least she gets on with Sydney, the only other animal that she does!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of Zinfandel, whilst we watched a film called ‘Dark Water’ about the lawyer who took on the DuPont company, who’d been dumping chemicals and poisoning the people of the town their factory was sited, it was well worth watching, if only for the fact that it highlights the corporate greed that drove it all. 

We watched the film a couple of years ago. Very interesting, David versus Goliath.

We did did dispose of our pans that had damaged Teflon coating but apparently it’s not harmful. Isn’t that what ‘they’ said about smoking?

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I wonder how many will catch that reference, Zed?

I have no idea what BFG’s 59 Gibson Les Paul is worth (I imagine that it’s up there with David Gilmour’s “Black Strat” or Clapton’s “Blackie”).

But even without a famous guitar player association, a pristine 59 Gibson Les Paul can go for some really serious money (think the price of a good sized suburban house).

Gibson only made about 643 Les Paul Standards (i,e. LPs with the sunburst finish) and nearly all of them are accounted for. Which means that that dusty Gibson guitar case in Grandad’s/Dad’s/Uncle’s loft/attic/shed could well hide a treasure (both musically and literally).

Mind you, the 59 Gibson Les Paul is so sought after, that there are a number of counterfeit 59 LPs around (the best of which, I am led to believe, are real Gibson Les Pauls that have been [ahem] “backdated”)

For me, I particularly associate Pearly Gates with pups (pickups - the transducers, nothing to do with doggies). When I had received my initial compensation for my injury, and was only working part-time so had time on my hands, I decided to try to resume playing (slide) guitar. I had something cheap and nasty from the late 1970s, so got an epihone 'SG' (SG400). After a while, and once I had a better amp, I realised that the sound of the bridge pup was inadequate, so I looked at alternatives. In the end I got a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (replicating the original gibson PAFs, although with balanced coils), but I considered the Seymour Pearly Gates before deciding that it probably wasn't what I wanted (for me, middle frequencies good, piercing treble bad).

More recently, I've wasted hours listening to pup reviews on youtube (not a good idea, the Opus codec claims to allow high-quality sounds , but it is still lossy and my headphones are not the best). Given that the sound is a combination of the construction of, and tonewoods of, the axe (and probably even the brazilian rosewood of the fingerboard on a genuine '59 might make a difference), the  pups, and the individual player, nobody will ever match BFG - but for those (yourself excluded - I know you have views on the 'inspired by gibson' headstock) who want to get close perhaps an Epiphone 'inspired by gibson' 59 is a start - and then add a pair of Whiskerbuckers from Cream RT pickups.

OTOH, that will cost a significant number of deltics.

But please don't call me Zed while the current war is happening, it can be regarded as alignment with Putain's army symbol. I chose zarniwhoop when I got broadband - all the good hitchhiker's names were already taken. But my real name is Ken, and I usually sign online as ĸen - I got into unicode/UTF-8 (funnily enough, prompted by a russian) and eventually discovered the default linux gb keymap [1] included ĸ on AltGr-k : it's actually an obsolete greenlandic letter, but it looks like a greek lowercase k which went down well with the greek guy I was corresponding with and who helped me with comments on creating text fonts for use in the linux console. Any resemblance to cyrillic is coincidental and could as well be ukrainian as russian.

1. Except, probably, on debian and derivatives such as ubuntu.

Best, ĸen

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2