The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

This one features eleven planets and their moons, it says that it includes three dwarf planets; Ceres, Pluto and Eris

Challenge you

https://www.buildthesolarsystem.com/index.html

A good demonstration of how not to build a web page, top half advert for orrery  bottom half advert for £399.. tiny window slot in the middle where you can just see a slice of the object.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I too have stayed at the Glendower in Lytham several times when visiting BAe Wharton - obviously their go to place when booking in visitors. Like Q I’m very fond of a good bacon brekkie when away from home and I seem to recall that the Glendower provide a good ‘un. One of our favourite eating places at night when there was Tiggis Italian restaurant - great pizzas hand made in the open kitchen with much theatrical swirling of the dough. 

Dave

Bear has stayed at the Glendower numerous times; also the St. Ives, Dalmaney, Queen's Hotel (which is actually a pub) and the Fernleigh - there may well be others but it was 25+ years ago now.

Tiggis?  Oh yes - but very noisy.  The favourite by far was the Casa d'Italia (by the crossroads in the centre - but now sadly long gone; it was actually a downstairs/basement place.  There was also Geraldines** (now gone it seems) and a bit nearer Warton there was Portofino's in Lytham - but it seems that closed in 2018.

**The owners' son was born in the middle east - when still very young he lived close to a building site and a Minaret attached to a Mosque; his first words were "Digger Digger Digger", "Chugga Chugga Chugga" and "Allahaaaaaaa"

11 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

Very late on parade again today, but I do have an excuse. This morning, like last Tuesday, I awoke to find another radiator was leaking, this time it was the one in the bathroom. So, once again I got dressed early and headed to the shed to get some new seals and grabbed my tools from the cellar and headed back to the bathroom. .

Bear is intrigued - what sort of valves (and seals) doo you have that appear to be problematic?

In other news......

Sizing the walls "ongoing"......

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

This one features eleven planets and their moons, it says that it includes three dwarf planets; Ceres, Pluto and Eris

Challenge you

https://www.buildthesolarsystem.com/index.html

I’d love to give it a go…

BUT although it’s affordable they don’t ship outside the UK or US 🥲😡

• Friendly/supportive 12

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Something that impresses me about the USA is the ideals upon which the country was founded. The idea of a free people consenting to be governed. It's easy to deride the imperfect implementation of those ideals but those ideals remain right and have a genuine power to inspire people. The difference between the European (inc. UK) concept of people being granted freedoms by government, and the American conception that government derives it's authority to govern from the people, are profound and go to the heart of the position of human beings in society.

Anyway, I have a day of leisure in DC today and fly to Tokyo tonight and then on to Singapore. Long flight but ANA are excellent. The flight attendant on the outbound flight recommended a sake which was stunningly good and I want to see if they sell it at Haneda when I transfer. 

C22.jpg

It is my understanding that the civic buildings were designed in that way ie to impress any visiting dignitary.  A bit of one up man ship you might say.

Unlike London where the buildings arose organically often have to fit into medieval street patterns.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’d love to give it a go…

BUT although it’s affordable they don’t ship outside the UK or US 🥲😡

But it looks like Amazon UK do (for fifteen quid).  Failing that, a certain Bear is at your disposal, Sir - either by forwarding on or delivering to the next Brains Trust.....

edit: See my later post about a discount code....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

All walls in the H/S/L now "sized".  Big Tick.

Whilst this morning's session was ok, the afternoon session can best be described as "interesting" as it was a combination of the left paw givin' me sh1t whilst at the same time indulging in "Ladder Antics, Various" in conjunction with experiencing Chapter 2 of @iL Dottore's "Fun with Benzo's" Handbook.  I reckon I'm at sufficient altitude to be able to retract the undercarriage,,,,,

All good fun.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back. An overnight trip to Broadstairs replaced the sceduled three-day trip to Ashburton which was canned when our friends went down with The Pestilence. 

Dr. SWMBO has been trying to visit the Thanet area for some time despite my gentle persuasions that it wasn’t entirely a great place to be. 

One night in Broadstairs was enough to have “been there done that” though it included one of the best Italian meals we have had in many years. She pestered me to take her to “see Margate” this morning and regretted it; the town basically locked down when Boris said so and boarded itself up. It is still closed and boarded up. 

Broadstairs is not altogether unattractive and the local air-rats posed nicely for me 

0D745BE2-6817-43F5-980A-23F1E2C60C0E.jpeg.b187801c99c9e412056e7e807992543d.jpeg

A11AB896-8FF6-4BC8-B2CE-F9FC802339DC.jpeg.6a42973efb37b5dd63ba398d9297f0b1.jpeg

The B&B seemed to offer cats. We both thought the same.  Either that or they chose their font poorly. 

A1834006-2964-49B4-9A8E-215E3BF8F459.jpeg.0aa6d5fd9a5ef29f7bb76ef933a52e13.jpeg

Meanwhile in Margate the clock stick is bent. 

D6814F41-8810-41DF-A954-CE6DFA7F52DB.jpeg.da844e1309b7e867e0ce8fd3b81b3ff7.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The B&B seemed to offer cats. We both thought the same.  Either that or they chose their font poorly. 

Breakfast seems to be a stitch up too.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 14

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

But it looks like Amazon UK do (for fifteen quid).  Failing that, a certain Bear is at your disposal, Sir - either by forwarding on or delivering to the next Brains Trust.....

Bear here......

All walls in the H/S/L now "sized".  Big Tick.

Whilst this morning's session was ok, the afternoon session can best be described as "interesting" as it was a combination of the left paw givin' me sh1t whilst at the same time indulging in "Ladder Antics, Various" in conjunction with experiencing Chapter 2 of @iL Dottore's "Fun with Benzo's" Handbook.  I reckon I'm at sufficient altitude to be able to retract the undercarriage,,,,,

All good fun.

It is my understanding my dear Bear, that as with most things, it's not the getting 'aloft' part but the coming down when the problems start to manifest themselves that is often the issue.

As I'm certain our resident doctor and chemist will be only to happy to verify.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

A'noon. Indeedy we did ride, the rain stopped and the wind dried the roads sufficiently to entice 5 OF's out.  45 mile trundle after brunch for a coffee in Laxey, by which time it was glorious and just breezy after last night's howling winds.

The NHN's did once visit Margate, having also endured the disappointment of the Hornby factory experience, we won't be going back to either in a hurry.  There are far nicer places in the UK to visit - indeed, almost everywhere is nicer.....

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

is the ideals upon which the country was founded. The idea of a free people consenting to be governed.

They were fairly narrow about who they considered to be free people. Adult white men mainly. Other countries were not much better. Until the end of the First World War many men did not have the vote in the UK. It was 10 years later that women got the vote .My grandmother was in her thirties then. 
Now, I personally would rather be a citizen than a subject but it isn’t the popular position in Britain. So being a good democrat I have to accept it. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, polybear said:

Fun with Benzo's" Handbook

They used to form part of the cocktail of stuff used in conscious sedation. I think every gastroenterologist had their preferred  combination. The diazepam used in me did the job very nicely but they did state don’t do any driving or using tools for 24 hours . The problem is you think you are fine. But you aren’t. Before I knew better, I once broke a window on my head as I closed it without moving my head out of the way. Last time I had conscious sedation I don’t think diazepam was in the list, fentanyl was though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The NHN's did once visit Margate, having also endured the disappointment of the Hornby factory experience, we won't be going back to either in a hurry.  There are far nicer places in the UK to visit - indeed, almost everywhere is nicer..

I used to go to Margate quite a lot, Herne Bay too when I was a student in Canterbury. Some friends had a flat in Herne Bay so it got visited most weekends. When we all lived in halls in the final year, Margate was often visited.  Or just for a change , Ramsgate, to watch the hovercraft arrive and depart. 
Tony

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Back in the seventies our annual works outing was to Margate. We always went to the same seafront pub where a buffet was laid on and on the way home we stopped at another pub where another buffet was awaiting. It was organised by three rather formidable elderly ladies from the typing pool. It ceased when the extra spring bank holiday came into force and the three old ladies retired.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1